Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game» Forums » General

Subject: Understanding dice scenarios rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kelvin Lam
Australia
flag msg tools
Hi all,

I decided to pick this up after watching it on TableTop (yes, i watch that show) and I am not sure about the rules for the fight dice. I get that the hero dice have to be higher and doubles over the zombie die but i would like to be sure about the interpretation of that rule:

if a hero rolls a 5 + 5 and the zombie, say, a 3 then the zombie is dead.
if a hero rolls a 4 + 5 and the zombie, say, 4 then the zombie is fended off.
if a hero (using a weapon) rolls a 5 + 3 + 5 and the zombie rolls a 4 then the zombie dies.

BUT...

if a hero (using a weapon) rolls a 3 + 5 + 3 and the zombie rolls a 3 then....Does the zombie die? the hero has doubles but only 1 die is higher than the zombie.

as you can see i am confused but what i am trying to get is that the conditions for a hero's win (with 3 dice) is not necessarily tied to just standard 2 dice (as in 1 die can fulfil 1 condition and the other 2 can fulfull the 2nd condition) but 2 dice can fulfil both conditions.

Is this correct? (sorry for the long ramble).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Reil
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thegh0sts wrote:
if a hero rolls a 5 + 5 and the zombie, say, a 3 then the zombie is dead.
if a hero rolls a 4 + 5 and the zombie, say, 4 then the zombie is fended off.
if a hero (using a weapon) rolls a 5 + 3 + 5 and the zombie rolls a 4 then the zombie dies.

All correct, of course.

Quote:
if a hero (using a weapon) rolls a 3 + 5 + 3 and the zombie rolls a 3 then....Does the zombie die? the hero has doubles but only 1 die is higher than the zombie.

Yes, the zombie dies (again). The hero needs doubles and at least one of his dice to be higher than the Zombies highest die (sometimes they manage to roll more than one) but both of these conditions can be from different dice, the Hero's highest roll does not have to be included in the pair of doubles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelvin Lam
Australia
flag msg tools
Awesome!

Thanks for clearing that up cos on the surface it looks complicated to follow.

But now this begs the question of zombies rolling extra fight die: is it the same deal (win conditions for the heroes) but just increases the chance of winning for zombies?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shannon T
Australia
Peakhurst
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I always like to think of it as:

1. First determine if Hero has won (usually by highest die score).
2. If hero has won, then check if the Hero has doubles.
3. If the Hero has doubles, the Zombie is wounded.

thegh0sts wrote:
But now this begs the question of zombies rolling extra fight die: is it the same deal (win conditions for the heroes) but just increases the chance of winning for zombies?

Zombies rolling extra fight dice just gives them a greater chance to roll that single highest die score. In most cases a tie will win for the Zombies as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelvin Lam
Australia
flag msg tools
thewagon wrote:
I always like to think of it as:

1. First determine if Hero has won (usually by highest die score).
2. If hero has won, then check if the Hero has doubles.
3. If the Hero has doubles, the Zombie is wounded.

thegh0sts wrote:

Zombies rolling extra fight dice just gives them a greater chance to roll that single highest die score. In most cases a tie will win for the Zombies as well.

an interesting way to deduce it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this thread would be happier in the rules forum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelvin Lam
Australia
flag msg tools
drmark64 wrote:
I think this thread would be happier in the rules forum.

that's fair if the mods move it cos i wasn't sure if it was a rules thing or just an interpretation of the dice reading.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Logsdon
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
I just got this game and played it for the first time tonight, and I have a similar question. We played the basic game, "Die zombies, die."

When the zombies attack the hero's, do the hero's use their weapons they are carrying, ie. the revolver? Or is the "fight" simple about trying to fend off the zombies?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy G
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Mold the chaos into something beautiful
mbmbmbmbmb
The revolver and other "Ranged Weapons" cannot be used during fights, neither the fights on the zombie turn nor the Hero turn. Ranged Weapons are only used on the Hero turn during the Ranged Attack phase of the turn.

Heroes can use any Hand Weapons during any fights.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Shockley
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Only tangentially related to fights, but remember the zombie player can only play one fight card per fight (cards like "hate the living" and "urrgghh"). A fight is a single combat between an individual zombie and a single hero, so if there are multiple zombies in a space with a hero, the zombie player can play more than one card as long as he limits himself to one card in any single fight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Logsdon
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
oriecat wrote:
The revolver and other "Ranged Weapons" cannot be used during fights, neither the fights on the zombie turn nor the Hero turn. Ranged Weapons are only used on the Hero turn during the Ranged Attack phase of the turn.

Heroes can use any Hand Weapons during any fights.

I understand that now from using that perspective, Ranged Attack phase. I do find it odd that my hero holding a gun, gets attacked by the zombie and says, "Hey zombie, please wait while I set my gun on the ground so I can subdue you/kill you with my barehands."

It's silly as I look at it from a logical approach. Once I get that is the rule I'm sure I'll get used to that. It seems a decent amount of luck is needed between card pulls and dice rolls to kill the needed 15 zombies in the scenario. Perhaps it was just not in my favor in the one game I've played so far. Thanks for the help, also the other poster.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Pacey
United States
Dexter
Michigan
flag msg tools
Jayhawk
badge
KU
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't think of it as putting your gun down to fight. Think of it as not having time to draw your gun, or the zombie being too close to use it. It is very hard to shoot if it already has a hold of you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Shockley
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you could make a ranged attack for any fight to kill the zombie outright, those weapons would be overpowered. So you're right in thinking of it as a mechanical thing. But the thematic explanation above is pretty good too :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Logsdon
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
Yeah those are good points and makes it easier to swallow lol. I'm also curious if you could let me know if on the Ranged Attack phase, are you limited to one attack, or can you perform more then one if you have multiple zombies within range?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Shockley
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just one ranged attack per Hero.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Angelo
msg tools
Also on this episode of tabletop, I noticed Will automatically adding weapon bonuses to humans fights. Isn't this optional? At one point Kate Micucci uses her chainsaw and loses the fight as well as the chainsaw. The way I understood it, the human player could roll for fight, then after seeing the result, decide whether or not to use the chainsaw. Obviously this makes the chainsaw devastating, which seeing how its a chainsaw,seems thematic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Pacey
United States
Dexter
Michigan
flag msg tools
Jayhawk
badge
KU
mbmbmbmbmb
There were a lot of rules mistakes on the TableTop episode, so don't use it as a guide for rules rulings. Always using hand weapons, spawing zombies incorrectly, and not limiting the zombie to one card per fight were the mistakes that stood out to me the most. They also rolled movement for all the heroes at the same time instead of taking a hero through their entire turn before moving on to the next hero. It was a good intro to the game, but no replacement for the rule book.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Logsdon
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
Magnus Maximus wrote:
Just one ranged attack per Hero.

Hmm, well this makes the "Die Zombies,Die" scenario even more daunting. Is it supposed to be pretty hard?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Shockley
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly I've never played that one. I always play one of the objective-based scenarios (Burn em Out being my favorite, seems to produce the closest games).

But yeah, one ranged attack only. It really is pretty tough to kill a lot of zombies in this game. If a couple heroes have revolvers and/or the shotgun, and everyone is equipped with good melee weapons, you can start to clear the board. Even then, a combination of zombie fight cards and bad rolling can foil you.

Just my personal experience with the game. I've never found LNoE to be a kill spree type affair; it's more about fending off and staying alive long enough to complete your objectives.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Logsdon
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
Yeah we only played that scenario trying to get a feel for the game. We will start an advanced game next time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Pacey
United States
Dexter
Michigan
flag msg tools
Jayhawk
badge
KU
mbmbmbmbmb
I think all of the scenarios are pretty well balanced for experienced players, but the heroes are a little harder to get the strategy for. New players to the game tend to find the zombie strategy easier because it is best to start hyper aggressive with them. New heroes will try to immediately start killing zombies before they are prepared and don't realize how important it is to work together and give items to the hero it is most useful for. Played well the game plays out like a movie with the heroes just scraping by for the beginning while they gather resources and then are ready at the end of the game to win the epic showdown.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BobbySoFamous .
msg tools
mbmbmb
Ogthar wrote:
There were a lot of rules mistakes on the TableTop episode, so don't use it as a guide for rules rulings. Always using hand weapons, spawing zombies incorrectly, and not limiting the zombie to one card per fight were the mistakes that stood out to me the most. They also rolled movement for all the heroes at the same time instead of taking a hero through their entire turn before moving on to the next hero. It was a good intro to the game, but no replacement for the rule book.

I wanted to jump in this discussion to try to correct some of the mistakes they made on TableTop but Ogthar beat me to it. Anyone who watched that video should reread the quote above, they did a lot of stuff wrong in the video.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.