Recommend
12 
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Okko: Era of the Asagiri» Forums » Sessions

Subject: First Play - Solo rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brandon
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello everyone, I tried this game late last night and so the details are more than likely fuzzy so bear with me. I played solo since I have no one to play with but that never stops me anyways.

First off I would like to say I love the art of the game, especially the tiles. They are really great! My only beef are the character pieces. I think they could have at least drawn the backside of the characters on their pieces instead of the black silhouette. And that is my only beef with that.

Anyway, I just wanted to learn the rules and was using a mixture of the rulebook and Universal Head's rules summary to learn the rules and play the game. I know I got some things wrong and have some question which I will pose after the mini review.

The game set-up. This was solo play using 12 Zeni. The objective was to obliterate the other team, no survivors. The Demon Hunters rolled highest after both groups tied in the first dice roll. 3-2 in favor of the Demon Hunters. This would give them a great advantage since I felt that their starting position was very difficult to begin with.


Board set-up. Demon Hunters in the lower left and Evil Creatures in the top right. Noburo and Setzuka were to head toward the building and cover that side of the board. Meanwhile Okko would protect their flank and engage any enemies in the area by the stream. The Evil Creatures' strategy was to send Master Kanatta to the other building and fight in that area of the board. Oni Bushi and Lady Midakko were to head to the area with the stream and eliminate any opposition there.


Demon Hunter & Evil Creature teams. This is not correct but I am just learning the rules at this point. Future games will be different. I realized halfway through the game that only one unique character is allowed per-team but I let it slide since I just wanted to learn the game rules. My future endeavors will be played with this corrected.


Fighting breaks out in the courtyard. The strategy the Demon Hunters used upset the initial plans of the Evil Creatures who quickly corrected theirs. Master Kanatta and Okko dueled by the bridge while Oni Bushi found himself in a tight spot engaging both Setzuka and Noburo (on his flank) while Lady Midakko tried her best to come to his aid. The speed of the Demon Hunter's advance was the big factor here and the Evil Creatures would suffer badly for the rest of the game because of it.


First combat roll ever and Setzuka demolishes Oni Bushi. Setzuka had the movement inspiration die held in reserve that was there the entire game after the initial inspiration dice roll. This restricted the Demon Hunters and I considered removing it more than once during the game, but in the end it paid huge dividends.


Noburo was ready to pummel Oni Bushi had Setzuka's attack failed but now he had to worry about Lady Midakko sneaking up on his back. (If Lady Midakko is in Setzuka's LOS, is the bonus Lady Midakko can get from a rear attack negated due to Noburo being within Setzuka's control zone and Lady Midakko being in LOS?)


Lady Midako failed her attempt to disable Noburo when she attacked from the rear and was forced to retreat by his counterattack. Now she faces down the entire Demon Hunter team after her partners are disabled in earlier fighting.


Lady Midako's 1 hit K.O. on Noburo! (Noburo was the attacking character, does Lady Midakko's defending roll negate Noburo's??) I went with the benefit of the doubt and Noburo was removed from the game.


The last Evil Creature, Lady Midakko, makes her last stand against the remaining Demon Hunters in the very building she and her team started the game in. Setzuka would slay her quite easily.


Setzuka was MVP having taken out Oni Bushi and Lady Midakko. The inspiring attack skill was the real winner and that is why Setzuka was involved in nearly every fight.

Overall the rules were quite easy to master. By the end of the game I was feeling rather confident about the game's basics. I was happy and am looking forward to using the other characters, equipment, and skills. However, some questions did arise during the game.

1) Reserve Dice - Once placed in reserve they can be used every turn until the game ends or an enemy removes it for them.

2) Diagonal Movement/Turning - When a character moves diagonally do you have to face them the direction you moved them or do they face the same direction they already were? What I meant is they do the diagonal move forward. If you do have to turn them to face diagonally do you use a movement point? I was not sure about that so I used movement points when making characters face in diagonal directions.

3) Inspiration Dice - Both players roll their inspiration dice at the beginning of a turn.

- If player A & B both rolled and Player A attacks a player B character and both use inspiration dice those become unusable until they are rerolled in the next turn? So player B cannot use that specific dice when it is their turn to attack?

4) Surrounded - What is missing in the above report are pictures of Master Kanatta's demise. Noburo went up behind him after Setzuka finished off Oni Bushi. Kanatta and Okko had fought to a draw that same turn. This time Noburo beat Kanatta by two forcing him to retreat. However Kanatta was in Okko's control zone so I opted to not move him. Okko finished him off in the next phase of combat. Was this done correctly?

Other than those questions I felt the game ran smoothly. Hopefully I will do a better job recording the games so I can put a more detailed session review up here cool


10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bigney
United States
Kingston
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I skipped right to the end, so there might be other rules questions buried in the session report.

1) No, once a die is used it is spent and cannot be used again until it is re-rolled at the start of your turn. The reason to put a die in reserve is it allows you to spend it on a character during your opponent's turn.

2) You never change facing during a diagonal move. A facing change always costs a movement point.

3) You re-roll dice at the beginning of your individual turn. If A attacks and B and both use dice, B will be re-rolling all their dice before they would get a chance to attack with any of their characters anyway.

4) I am confused by your example--if you lose combat by two you must retreat, it is not optional.
If you are already in another opponent's zone of control, that doesn't affect anything for retreat purposes--you become shaken after the retreat if you end your retreat in an opponent's zone of control.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aswin Agastya
Indonesia
Bekasi
Jawa Barat
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I realized halfway through the game that only one unique character is allowed per-team but I let it slide since I just wanted to learn the game rules.


Your team is alright. One unique character allowed means you can only bring 1 Okko per team, not 2 Okkos or 2 Noburos. But you can have two teams with Okko each (because they're not in one team), if you have multiple copies. Archers and Ninja on the other hands... you can have multiple copies of them in a team.

Quote:
(If Lady Midakko is in Setzuka's LOS, is the bonus Lady Midakko can get from a rear attack negated due to Noburo being within Setzuka's control zone and Lady Midakko being in LOS?)


No. What matters is that a character starts his/her turn behind the target. Okko however is non-backstable, and IIRC nezumi can also prevent this back attack bonus.

Quote:
(Noburo was the attacking character, does Lady Midakko's defending roll negate Noburo's??)

Yes.

Inspiration dice works like this.

Player A rolls his inspiration dice. He may roll used and unused inspiration dice. Additionally, he may also take characters' reserved dice and add them to the dice rolled. All dice must be rolled together, however.

Player A turn. He may use his inspiration dice, and probably reserve dice. If player B has any reserved dice, he also may use them during A's turn.

Player B rolls his inspiration dice. He may roll used and unused inspiration dice. Additionally, he may also take characters' reserved dice and add them to the dice rolled. All dice must be rolled together, however.

Player B turn. He may use his inspiration dice, and probably reserve dice. If player A has any reserved dice, he also may use them during B's turn.

A reserved die sticks on a character until he/she uses it, or has the dice moved by some other effects (being shaken, regaining vigilance, or skill effects), or when the player controlling the character voluntarily take the die off the character's reserve in order to roll it during the beginning of his turn.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Gyges wrote:
I skipped right to the end, so there might be other rules questions buried in the session report.
There were a few but Aswin seems to have answered those.

Quote:
1) No, once a die is used it is spent and cannot be used again until it is re-rolled at the start of your turn. The reason to put a die in reserve is it allows you to spend it on a character during your opponent's turn.
Yeah, I finished a 2 player game earlier and we were able to figure this out.

Quote:
2) You never change facing during a diagonal move. A facing change always costs a movement point.
Thanks for clearing this up for me.

Quote:
3) You re-roll dice at the beginning of your individual turn. If A attacks and B and both use dice, B will be re-rolling all their dice before they would get a chance to attack with any of their characters anyway.
I have a question about this. In my recent 2 player game, I whittled my opponent down to 1 character. He stacked his reserve dice to use for future turns. We decided he'd tell me which one he was going to use for any one turn and then add that to the inspiration roll at the beginning of his own turns. It is more or less a "house" rule but I was wondering what other people have done in that situation?

Quote:
4) I am confused by your example--if you lose combat by two you must retreat, it is not optional.
If you are already in another opponent's zone of control, that doesn't affect anything for retreat purposes--you become shaken after the retreat if you end your retreat in an opponent's zone of control.
Yeah sorry, I was writing this report out really late and so I was not so clear. Basically Master Kanatta was in the control zones of both Noburo and Okko who were on either side of him at the start of the fight. Noburo had moved behind Kanatta to initiate an attack from behind. Meanwhile Master Kanatta had dueled with Okko to a draw the turn before so, when Noburo attacked him from behind, Master Kanatta was still in Okko's zone of control. I assumed that because he was still in Okko's zone of control, he could not move after being defeated in his fight with Noburo but he received the shaken stance.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sevej wrote:
Your team is alright. One unique character allowed means you can only bring 1 Okko per team, not 2 Okkos or 2 Noburos. But you can have two teams with Okko each (because they're not in one team), if you have multiple copies. Archers and Ninja on the other hands... you can have multiple copies of them in a team.
Thank you. This helped me explain the rules when I played my first 2 player game.


Quote:
No. What matters is that a character starts his/her turn behind the target. Okko however is non-backstable, and IIRC nezumi can also prevent this back attack bonus.
So even if Lady Midakko starts behind Noburo, and both are in LOS of Setzuka, she still gets the bonus from a rear attack on Noburo? (And he was close enough to Setzuka to be in her zone of control.) I was just wondering because, if I remember correctly, if Lady Midako was in Setzuka's LOS at the start of her turn and moved behind her, she'd lose the bonus. I assumed that if a friendly character was in Setzuka's LOS, Lady Midakko would lose the bonus because Setzuka would see Lady Midakko, and "warn" her teammate.

Quote:
Quote:
(Noburo was the attacking character, does Lady Midakko's defending roll negate Noburo's??)

Yes.

Inspiration dice works like this.

Player A rolls his inspiration dice. He may roll used and unused inspiration dice. Additionally, he may also take characters' reserved dice and add them to the dice rolled. All dice must be rolled together, however.

Player A turn. He may use his inspiration dice, and probably reserve dice. If player B has any reserved dice, he also may use them during A's turn.

Player B rolls his inspiration dice. He may roll used and unused inspiration dice. Additionally, he may also take characters' reserved dice and add them to the dice rolled. All dice must be rolled together, however.

Player B turn. He may use his inspiration dice, and probably reserve dice. If player A has any reserved dice, he also may use them during B's turn.

A reserved die sticks on a character until he/she uses it, or has the dice moved by some other effects (being shaken, regaining vigilance, or skill effects), or when the player controlling the character voluntarily take the die off the character's reserve in order to roll it during the beginning of his turn.
This was about the only rule we had some trouble with, but you helped us figure it out. Thank you!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aswin Agastya
Indonesia
Bekasi
Jawa Barat
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
So even if Lady Midakko starts behind Noburo, and both are in LOS of Setzuka, she still gets the bonus from a rear attack on Noburo? (And he was close enough to Setzuka to be in her zone of control.) I was just wondering because, if I remember correctly, if Lady Midako was in Setzuka's LOS at the start of her turn and moved behind her, she'd lose the bonus. I assumed that if a friendly character was in Setzuka's LOS, Lady Midakko would lose the bonus because Setzuka would see Lady Midakko, and "warn" her teammate.


No, there's no warning team mate, except for Nezumi, and it's written on the card. (but I could be wrong on Nezumi because my copy is 400km away...). Easy way to explain it... combat in the game happens lightning fast, not on the pace the players are playing it, which could be slow because people are thinking to maximize support bonus. No time to warn others.

If I have Oni Warau behind Noburo, and I have Okko, Windreaper, 2 Ninjas and 2 Archers looking at me, I'm still eligible for back attack bonus on Noburo.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bigney
United States
Kingston
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
A retreat is not a move, so you do retreat even if you are currently in another enemy's control zone.
And you're only allowed to put one die in reserve per character.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sevej wrote:
Quote:
So even if Lady Midakko starts behind Noburo, and both are in LOS of Setzuka, she still gets the bonus from a rear attack on Noburo? (And he was close enough to Setzuka to be in her zone of control.) I was just wondering because, if I remember correctly, if Lady Midako was in Setzuka's LOS at the start of her turn and moved behind her, she'd lose the bonus. I assumed that if a friendly character was in Setzuka's LOS, Lady Midakko would lose the bonus because Setzuka would see Lady Midakko, and "warn" her teammate.


No, there's no warning team mate, except for Nezumi, and it's written on the card. (but I could be wrong on Nezumi because my copy is 400km away...). Easy way to explain it... combat in the game happens lightning fast, not on the pace the players are playing it, which could be slow because people are thinking to maximize support bonus. No time to warn others.

If I have Oni Warau behind Noburo, and I have Okko, Windreaper, 2 Ninjas and 2 Archers looking at me, I'm still eligible for back attack bonus on Noburo.
I see. Thank you for the clarification.



Gyges wrote:
A retreat is not a move, so you do retreat even if you are currently in another enemy's control zone.
And you're only allowed to put one die in reserve per character.
Thanks and thanks again.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.