The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: 'When Revealed' vs Hero abilities - which comes first? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
KingTen 87
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hi all,

I recently got the game (core set only) and I am enjoying it a lot. I have grasped the rules fairly well, but a scenario came up yesterday which I was unsure of, and I was hoping someone could tell me how to correctly resolve it.

I was playing the 'passage through Mirkwood' quest using a tactics deck. My heroes were Legolas, Gimli and Thalin. During my questing phase I committed both Gimli and Thalin. When I turned my card from the encounter deck, I drew a Black Forest Bat.

Here is my question (actually its more like two questions!) - Thalin has an ability whereby any drawn enemies receive 1 damage when he is questing. However, the Black Forest Bat has a 'When revealed' effect, which is essentially to remove one character from the quest. I read in a separate thread that this basically meant to ignore the willpower of said character, and that was it. So:

1. Do I perform the 'when revealed' effect BEFORE I perform the hero ability for Thalin?

And

2. If so, does electing to remove Thalin from the questing phase (as per the Black Forest Bat instructions) then mean that I lose both the willpower value AND his hero ability to damage the bat?

Thanks in advance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Bielefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, Thalin goes first because his ability says "deal 1 damage to each enemy as it is revealed by the encounter deck" and not "after it is revealed". For example, he will kill Eastern Crows before their surge is triggered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, FAQ wins over both When Revealed and Hero abilities:

"Thalin CORE 6
When an enemy card is revealed from the encounter
deck, Thalin’s ability resolves before any keyword or
“When Revealed” card effects on the encounter card." (p. 2)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KingTen 87
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Ah! Just goes to show how much attention you need to pay to the card text! Thanks very much for your reply, much appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
mbmbmbmbmb
KingTen87 wrote:
Ah! Just goes to show how much attention you need to pay to the card text! Thanks very much for your reply, much appreciated.
That would be nice. What it actually shows is that you need to pay attention to the FAQ. Wording on these cads is far from clear, unambiguous and consistent, and some FAQ decisions fly in the face of common sense, at least as it would apply when reading the card text.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KingTen 87
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Thanks to all those who replied and for confirming the order. I had not read the FAQ but will do so now and use it for future reference, so my apologies for that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Courtney
United States
Quincy
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I agree. I wish more time had been spent on consistent wording. It's still a great game though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jcourtney wrote:
Yeah, I agree. I wish more time had been spent on consistent wording. It's still a great game though.
Oh yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim . K
United Kingdom
Southend-on-Sea
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
On a slightly further note, in this situation, after Thalin has dealt his damage, and then been removed from the quest .. is he readied or does he remain exhausted?

I guess that might be in FAQ too, but im on my phone and not able to call it up right now, just curious really ! lol

Jim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JimBGG wrote:
On a slightly further note, in this situation, after Thalin has dealt his damage, and then been removed from the quest .. is he readied or does he remain exhausted?

I guess that might be in FAQ too, but im on my phone and not able to call it up right now, just curious really ! lol

Jim
The readied/exhausted state only changes when a card says so, or at the end of a turn. Since the card that removes Thalin says nothing about readying him, then he remains exhausted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.