United States
Whitehall
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mr. Axle can do all for you.
badge
Apologize again!
mbmbmbmbmb
9.64 is a lengthy rule, but the gist of it is: a Pirate can sometimes capture a Merchant ship and captain it himself from then on. One of the limitations listed is that there must be an available Ship Log for that model of ship, either the player's current one (trading his banged-up boat for a shiny one, presumably) or an unused one from the stack.

The rule goes on to say a 2 Defense Rating Merchant (a Flute, apparently) cannot be commandeered, as "no self-respecting Pirate would consider serving aboard such a scow."

All of the other Merchants have matching Ship Logs, except for those with a Defense Rating of 7. They look a lot like 3-Masted Square Riggers (which have a DR of 6), but there are subtle differences. It isn't shown in the illustration on page 3, either. Is this mysterious, unnamed model just a variation of the 3-Masted Square Rigger, and, therefore, capturable? Is it something else entirely and unavailable?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've yet to have this situation happen in any of my games, so I never noticed. Sharp eyes! I'd say if the illustration isn't the same as the ship cards, then the ship is unable to be commandeered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chuck dunn
United States
Memphis
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
merchant ships with a 7 are 3 masted square riggers...

and when it happens it's rare enough to be memorable for sure .. quite humorous when a pirate commandeers one of those beasts and starts taking out the east coast of the Americas ..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Recht

Brooklyn
New York
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chuckdunn wrote:
merchant ships with a 7 are 3 masted square riggers...

and when it happens it's rare enough to be memorable for sure .. quite humorous when a pirate commandeers one of those beasts and starts taking out the east coast of the Americas ..

Agreed. The picture is slightly different, but my group reasoned that if you're taking on a merchant with a value of 7, it's probably going to be a pretty big vessel like a 3 masted square rigger.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Horne
United States
Whitehall
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mr. Axle can do all for you.
badge
Apologize again!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your opinions. I'm inclined to agree with Daniel, so that makes it two for capture and two against. That's the opposite of a consensus, so I guess each group will just have to make their own ruling.

Too bad Richard H. Berg doesn't frequent BGG anymore.

Interesting side note: The Shipping Manifest tables list 7-8 as a category for Merchant Defense Rating... but there is no ship with a DR of 8. Maybe they originally intended to have another two-sided Ship Log, with the "7" model on one side and the "8" on the other? And for some reason, scrapped most of it, but left the "7" in the game as a Merchant only?

Edit: Oops, there is one Merchant with a DR of 8; I hadn't ever seen it before. It's the same, unidentified ship as the "7". There goes that theory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom in Toronto
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My 2-cents is that it's a 3-masted square rigger as well.
Given that they are the best (largest) ship available, it makes sense they are the toughest to get (highest defense value).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.