Marc P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Gloomhaven is a great niche game
mbmbmbmbmb
I have had a nasty cough with fever for 2 days now. We're trying to figure out what to expect over the holidays. I figure some of you have the same thing (I know at least 2 people had something similar), so I wanted to get an idea of how long this lasts, and whether we need to get to the urgent care today. We really don't want to have to pay the extra fees for holiday hours.

So, in short:

Did you get sick?
How long did the fever stage last?
Did you get antibiotics?
What were your symptoms?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
I get con-ick every year at BGG. I should bring a z-pack when I go. For me I'm usually some kind of sick till thanksgiving. Usually it's a nasty sore throat, or some kind of nagging whooping cough.

You gamers are groddy creatures!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donnie Clark
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not yet. I kept a bottle of hand sanitizer strapped to my backpack and cleaned my hands after every game or "meaningful interaction".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith "Boaty McBoatface" C
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't get sick, but I made a point to get enough sleep and wash my hands before eating. I also had OJ to keep up my vitamin C, not sure if that really makes a difference, but who cares, I get to drink OJ.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott A. Reed
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I did not get sick at or after this year's BGG con, nor do I think I have ever come down with anything after previous conventions. I attribute it to a healthy constitution bolstered by constant exposure to environmental germs with no sanitizer buffer, liberal application of alcohol and nicotine, and also a little Vitamin C.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Robb
United States
Choctaw
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I ended up with a head cold by Saturday. It's not that unusual for me, however, as I typically end up with one or two colds a year. Very annoying right before Thanksgiving, though. Thankfully it isn't serious and I mostly feel better already.

On a related note, I hope I'm not the only one who noticed that the Con staff provided tissues and hand sanitizer in the main game room along with the water stations. It was really appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Cramer
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I woke up Sunday morning with a very sore throat. I thought it was due to lack of sleep, but I'm still suffering through it right now. It seems to be migrating up to my nasal area and I have been hammering it with cold medicine. Hopefully I will be around 85-90% by Thursday.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kristine got it. I didn't.

She's still pretty sick but just taking Day-Quil or whatev.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a nasty cold before the con, but I got 90% over it by the time it was time to travel down there.

Then as soon as I got home, I had this horrid cough I couldn't shake and now I'm on nuclear powered anti-biotics to get rid of the sinus infection I managed to acquire.

Of course, living in Vancouver, where it's a moist rainforest environment, and going to the con in a dry place, where the air is super-dry from the HVAC systems doesn't help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EGG Head
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it was the AC for me, I was really congested and hoarse by by Sunday when I left, but no sx what so ever by Monday afternoon after being home.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quinn Munnerlyn
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was dealing with what I assume were allergies just before and the first 2 days of the con. I slowly got better though and never ran a fever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
skippen
United States
Greeley
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Cary Grant, 1904 - 1986
badge
How old Cary Grant? Old Cary Grant fine. How you?
mbmbmbmbmb
I have never gotten sick after BGG.Con. I did get terribly sick after Gen Con though. It was the sickest, most painful sickness that I can recall from the past 15 years. And I gave it to my wife as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Wiggins
United States
Kingwood
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Uh! It's this darn dice tower!
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought I was getting sick the first two days, but on day 3 I stopped eating loaded chili dogs at every meal and made a miraculous recovery. I've felt fine ever since. Hope you get to feeling better!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
United States
San Diego area
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was sick two weeks before the Con, with the same symptoms you describe (cough, high fever) and also couldn't stay awake for more than a few hours. I didn't go to the doctor or take anything more than Advil; just slept and whined a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Allen
United States
Humble
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I both got sick, she's in bed with a temp of 102.4 right now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rishi A.
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't get sick and neither did my girlfriend. But many of my friends who I spent the most time with at the con did get sick. I get colds less than average, but my girlfriend seems to get colds every 2-3 months, so I guess we were lucky.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I were having sinus issues before the con. I got a z-pac and finished it the day before the con. After the con, I still have pretty much the same issues (maybe a little less), but my wife had one day of feeling really awful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Froggy McFrogface
United States
FORT COLLINS
CO
flag msg tools
badge
When green is all there is to be, it could make you wonder why. But why wonder? I'm green, and it'll do fine: it's beautiful, and I think it's what I want to be.
mbmbmbmbmb
No sickness here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Corbin
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I did get a cold. But no significant fever that I've noticed. Symptoms were not so bad as to impact my ability to participate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Schmittgens
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't get sick at all. I did spend almost all of my time in the war-game room corridor, if that helps isolate the problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
admin
Convention Committee
badge
BGG.CON! BGG.CON SPRING! BGG@SEA!
mbmbmbmbmb
I probably shook as many hands and hugged as many gamers as anyone, and I came out OK. Then again, I don't think I've ever got the con crud. Just lucky, I guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Linda Baldwin
United States
White Plains
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got hit early on with what appears to be an allergy attack. I say that because it swooped in on me as I entered one of the bathrooms with the overwhelming potpourri; I suspect it was cedar, and it was pretty much the last thing I could smell for the rest of the con. Still fighting it off.

I supppose it's just possible that it's a cold masquerading as an allergy attack, but all the symptoms are sinus-related, so I don't think so. Hope it ends soon, so I can open Lenny's beer. soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Old & Chaotic Evil Bob
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I'm not the Admin you are looking for
badge
O&CE Bob has Retired as a Geek Admin
mbmbmbmbmb
no con grud for me either

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lynette
United States
Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
Yep, I am a girl Scientist. Come for the breasts; Stay for the brains!
badge
For as long as I shall live I will testify to love; I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough.
mbmbmbmbmb

I didn't make it to BGG this year but just as an interesting observation I almost never get sick during/after conventions I drive to, but have a couple of times gotten sick during/after conventions I fly to.

I think for me "airplane" time exposes me to more germs than the conventions themselves.

Perhaps all that recycled pressurized air? Filters can nab bacteria but not viruses in general.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall P.
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
"Nothing in Biology Makes Sense Except in the Light of Evolution" - Theodosius Dobzhansky
badge
There is grandeur in this view of life, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved.
mbmbmbmbmb
I was sick a couple weeks before the con, but was fine by the con. I even worked out in the hotel gym on Wednesday morning (where were the rest of you sloths? ).

During the con I think the dry air and teaching a lot of games while projecting my voice over the background caused me to get an irritated throat and I totally lost my voice down to a rasp by the end. As soon as I got home it all cleared up and I'm fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.