Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brain
United States
Belvidere
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm only bringing this up because I've seen a lot of posts that have dismissed this build for competitive play.

Luke Skywalker + R2-D2 + Swarm Tactics = 34pts
Rookie Pilot + R2 Astromech = 22pts
Total = 100pts

It brings 4 X-wings in the game to bring up the fire power. Feel free to change up the generic droids as you see fit. I know some people like the R5 better than R2.

This build sinks most of its points into Luke. With his ability and R2-D2, I find that he is able to stay alive a lot longer than Wedge even if the Imps focus on him. Swarm Tactics helps try to take out Ties before they can fire on the Rookies in the same turn. Or you could give Luke Determination for a potential defensive boost (I know it's very limited in use with how few Pilot crits there are).

Most people say Wedge is a must, but I find he is out of the game by the 2nd or 3rd turn. Or you add Biggs in addition to Wedge, but then you have a hard time fielding 4 ships.

I've only played around 15 games total (mostly against casual gamers) and only a few with this build, but it has been successful for me. I even beat a Tie Swarm (4x Academy + 4x Obsidian) with it.

I'm not saying it is the best ever, but that I don't think it's as bad as most people say.

What are your thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric B.
United States
East Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know who has been telling you this a bad build, but it seems decent enough to me.

Luke is the best X-Wing for R2-D2 outside of Wedge in a Biggs build (because once Biggs is dead hopefully you've reduced the opponent's TIEs to a low enough number that Wedge can actually weather a few turns of focus fire with R2-D2). R2s are certainly better than R5's on X-Wings (R5s are really only meant for Y-Wings -- it's silly FFG put them in the X-Wing expansion pack and R2s in the Y-Wing pack, grrrr). And bringing four Rebel ships to the fight is always a good move.

What tactic have your opponents' used against you? Do they focus fire on Luke first or one of the generic X-Wings? There's no reason for them to target Luke first, since he has the same damage output potential as any of the generic pilots (and Swarm Tactics isn't that scary) but is incredibly more difficult to shoot down. If your opponents have routinely gone after Luke first, then you probably won't have a real sense of what the squad can do until you play opponents who focus fire on individual generic X-Wings first and save Luke for the end game clean-up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Egan
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
RogueThirteen wrote:
I don't know who has been telling you this a bad build, but it seems decent enough to me.

Luke is the best X-Wing for R2-D2 outside of Wedge in a Biggs build (because once Biggs is dead hopefully you've reduced the opponent's TIEs to a low enough number that Wedge can actually weather a few turns of focus fire with R2-D2). R2s are certainly better than R5's on X-Wings (R5s are really only meant for Y-Wings -- it's silly FFG put them in the X-Wing expansion pack and R2s in the Y-Wing pack, grrrr). And bringing four Rebel ships to the fight is always a good move.

What tactic have your opponents' used against you? Do they focus fire on Luke first or one of the generic X-Wings? There's no reason for them to target Luke first, since he has the same damage output potential as any of the generic pilots (and Swarm Tactics isn't that scary) but is incredibly more difficult to shoot down. If your opponents have routinely gone after Luke first, then you probably won't have a real sense of what the squad can do until you play opponents who focus fire on individual generic X-Wings first and save Luke for the end game clean-up.

I agree there is no reason to call that squad bad.

I see the list presenting a bit of a quandary though. Luke is clearly the hardest ship to kill, so saving him for last seems like a good idea. But he's the hardest ship to kill, if you save him for last you are most likely trying to kill him with diminished resources. So I disagree with there being no reason to target him first. You are kind of stuck between two positions, though I lean towards not shooting at Luke.

Still the goal of that squad should be to leave Luke standing and knock the Imps down to manageable levels. Luke can probably take 3 TiEs to be honest, depending on pilots.

I like the build as it is a way to not be forced into playing Biggs. Because any three pilot build demands Biggs and any Wedge build falls into the same boat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Dirk
msg tools
Looks decent... Yes wedge is a powerful unit but as mentioned he draws a ton of attention. I know I always advocate focus on him first.

As Rogue said, that build does seem to preserve your top tier pilot and allow his abilities to be used through out the game since the opponent would focus on knocking down the easier targets.

Wonder if using Dries (give focus) would be another similar type build, trying to avoid specific focus fire. Then again Luke discourages attacks when there are as powerful but less armored ships to hit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Steward
Canada
flag msg tools
While I think i would prefer the biggs + wedge + 2 rookies list. This squad has merit and is probably one of the best legitimate competitive uses of Luke. This squad basically trades Wedge's firepower and biggs protection, for mobility and versatility.

I have discovered that the best way to deal with imp swarm is the brute power of 4 xwings, so no matter how you arrange them, you will likely have success.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brain
United States
Belvidere
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RogueThirteen wrote:

One game the Imps focused on Luke and by the time he went down, there were already 3 Ties off the board and another one pretty damaged.
Another game the Imps focused on the Rookies one at a time. By the time it was just Luke left, it was easy for him to clean up the remaining Ties.

That's only two games, and maybe I just had really lucky dice. I'll keep trying it out and share results.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brain
United States
Belvidere
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, once I get my hands on the Falcon, I've thought of using Luke + R2-D2 + Shield Upgrade to see how that works. I know I'll have to lose some generic droids though. Or just swap out Swarm Tactics with Elusiveness and skip the Shield Upgrade.

The ultimate X-Wing stand-alone tank would be Luke + R2-D2 + Elusiveness + Shield Upgrade. But then you wouldn't be able to field a 4 X-wing squad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Egan
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
kamekkusu wrote:
RogueThirteen wrote:

One game the Imps focused on Luke and by the time he went down, there were already 3 Ties off the board and another one pretty damaged.
Another game the Imps focused on the Rookies one at a time. By the time it was just Luke left, it was easy for him to clean up the remaining Ties.

That's only two games, and maybe I just had really lucky dice. I'll keep trying it out and share results.

That's how I'd expect wins to go down with that squadron. Where as Wedge presents a clear shoot at me shoot at me, Luke doesn't. I'd take Luke (untouched) in the endgame with R2 against any two TiEs, most 3 TiEs, and even some 4 TiEs. So I think the squad has a lot going for it. Could have issues in tournaments going to time, though it may be in you favor.

At first thought I don't like it against other Wedge centric Rebel builds, because they hit harder nullifying R2 easier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.