Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
UA Darth
United States
Boca Raton
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. VP. You get relatively poor vp for building tracks.
2. You get credit towards contracts.
3. You can control when the game ends.

Am I missing anything else? I just feel they are relatively high cost for what you get. If you get 3 stone during the A action, you then have to convert it with C, then buy track.

Am I correct that you can keep building at stations if they are excavated up until.. you don't need the tracks built.

Just want to make sure I have a full understanding.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Boydell
United Kingdom
Newent. Glos
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Every homo sapiens needs an outbuilding within the curtelage of their property
badge
Welcome...to my Shed!
mbmbmbmbmb
shadow9d9 wrote:
1. VP. You get relatively poor vp for building tracks.

Yep, but see 2.

shadow9d9 wrote:
2. You get credit towards contracts.

Track building is worth a lot more if you use it to achieve card goals

shadow9d9 wrote:
3. You can control when the game ends.

Yes.

shadow9d9 wrote:
Am I missing anything else? I just feel they are relatively high cost for what you get. If you get 3 stone during the A action, you then have to convert it with C, then buy track.

Am I correct that you can keep building at stations if they are excavated up until.. you don't need the tracks built.

Yep.

shadow9d9 wrote:
Just want to make sure I have a full understanding.

No probs.

Also...
4. Building track stops other people building track
5. Steel bars are good for stations too (see Yr Wydffa) OR the 9VP train (Snowdon)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First game, nobody has much of a clue. People who catch on fast, or people in their second game, start to notice that VPs appear to be gained more efficiently from stone->stations or fulfilling rubble contracts. Steel bars are used for high-value station builds and trains - why waste them on track building, when you have to take so many actions to obtain the steel in the first place?

The smart people, however, spot that track laying contracts are where the big money is, and are less likely to be interfered with by the weather (if it's too sunny, everyone digs; nobody does much of anything when it's foggy; but several days of rain sow digging to a crawl, whereas the track laying can carry on).

The really smart people know that the road to victory is often the one that best matches the weather, the contracts, and doesn't involve competing too fiercely with the rest f the players at the table. Some games, that's track laying; some games, it's digging; some games, it's station building; and some games, it's something else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chiming in...

Watch out for those contract cards that award big points for number of track built. You need to carefully gauge how much time is left in the game. There better be a lot

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eekamouse wrote:
Chiming in...

Watch out for those contract cards that award big points for number of track built. You need to carefully gauge how much time is left in the game. There better be a lot

Don't I know it. I needed to lay one more piece of track to score my 40 pt card and the event came up for the game to build a bunch of track. One other player then moved to lay track before me and completed it with me never getting a chance at that last piece. ARGH!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susie_Cat
United Kingdom
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trump wrote:
eekamouse wrote:
Chiming in...

Don't I know it. I needed to lay one more piece of track to score my 40 pt card and the event came up for the game to build a bunch of track. One other player then moved to lay track before me and completed it with me never getting a chance at that last piece. ARGH!

Almost exactly the same for my first game - 80+ points became 40 and a spectacular loss (wouldn't have won anyhow, but...)

Susie_Cat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kareem Koh
Malaysia
Puchong
Selangor
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On the flip side, a player in my game completed her 40pts and that put her in the running to win the game (she relatively did nothing else).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.