Justin Fitzgerald
United States
Mazomanie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I've got all the badges for supporting BGG year after year. I do not yet have a 2012 badge. Here's the true reason.

I really enjoy having AdBlock. However, when I buy a BGG supporter badge, AdBlock expiration is set to 12 months from the day of purchase. It does not extend the pre-existing expiration 12 months.

I found this very irritating and instead installed something in my browser to block the ads. Then I'll simply say "Sad Meeple", what a snafu guys.

I'll be getting my 2012 badge but what I'd really like to do is buy my 2013 badge on 1/1/2013 and get a 12 month extension to AdBlock.

This might all seem random and unrelated but we're human beings, not creatures of logic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't get it. If you already have a solution that blocks ads (and frankly, I'm surprised that there is anyone left who doesn't use it), why would blocking ads have anything to do with your desire to support? Why not just get the '12 badge now?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul - the
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings; Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
badge
You spin me right round, baby - Right round like a record, baby - Right round round round - You spin me right round, baby…
mbmbmbmbmb
Just look at us and see for yourself how awesome you would look with a 12 supporter badge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Bär
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KakarisMaelstrom wrote:
I really enjoy having AdBlock. However, when I buy a BGG supporter badge, AdBlock expiration is set to 12 months from the day of purchase. It does not extend the pre-existing expiration 12 months.

I made my 2012 donation on january 1 (geekgold received 2012-01-01 04:01:18). My adblock expires on january 5 (2013-01-05 04:01:18). Strange.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
I get what you're saying, but as I support once a year, whether the adblock adds 12 month to my previous adblock or simply sets a new date 12 months in the future doesn't change anything. Logically though, it should just extend the time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro G.
United States
Hurst
Texas
flag msg tools
Sometimes you have to roll the hard six.
badge
I'm getting my men...
mbmbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:
I don't get it. If you already have a solution that blocks ads (and frankly, I'm surprised that there is anyone left who doesn't use it), why would blocking ads have anything to do with your desire to support? Why not just get the '12 badge now?

thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
I will contribute sooner if the BGG forum software is enhanced to make a little cartoon image of a happy helpful thumb appear with a speech balloon saying:

"You appear to be replying to a post but adding no new content beyond a thumb up. Are you aware that to the left of every comment in a thread there is already a clickable green thumb up button, so that you don't need to make a new post and trigger a notification to all thread subscribers?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:
I'm surprised that there is anyone left who doesn't use it

I only started using AdBlock relatively recently, due to increased incidence of ads that play sound.

Ads in general don't bother me, and in fact I often enjoy well-targeted ads. For example, I allow ads on BGG, not because I want to support them (although that's nice too), but because I often see ads on here for games that I hadn't heard of and which look neat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
I will contribute sooner if the BGG forum software is enhanced to make a little cartoon image of a happy helpful thumb appear with a speech balloon saying:

"You appear to be replying to a post but adding no new content beyond a thumb up. Are you aware that to the left of every comment in a thread there is already a clickable green thumb up button, so that you don't need to make a new post and trigger a notification to all thread subscribers?"

thumbsup whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mischa D. Krilov
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
When *is* BGG Con 20XX registration, anyway?
badge
This space intentionally left blank. :)
mbmbmbmbmb
KakarisMaelstrom wrote:
However, when I buy a BGG supporter badge, AdBlock expiration is set to 12 months from the day of purchase. It does not extend the pre-existing expiration 12 months.

I'm pretty sure that mine added 12 months onto the end of my AdBlock subscription.

Either way:
Adblock system wrote:

AdBlock rates:
1 Day = 1 GeekGold
30 Days = 20 GeekGold

I will donate 20 GG to you for the purpose of extending your AdBlock if you buy your 2012 badge now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mb
Adblock doesn't work the way you describe - it adds on to your current adblock up to 2 years into the future. Thank you for the support either way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldie wrote:
Adblock doesn't work the way you describe - it adds on to your current adblock up to 2 years into the future. Thank you for the support either way.
Never let the facts get in the way of a good rant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rekinom
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldie wrote:

Hypothetical question....

If I support the site at the $15 level, and then months later decide I want to add adblock...

Do I contribute another $10 or $25?

How does adblock work for people who support BGG on a monthly basis, say $5 a month? Does it become an option when they have given $25 or do they have to make a separate one-time contribution of $25 to enable it?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
rekinom wrote:
Aldie wrote:

If I support the site at the $15 level, and then months later decide I want to add adblock...

How does adblock work for people who support BGG on a monthly basis, say $5 a month? Does it become an option when they have given $25 or do they have to make a separate one-time contribution of $25 to enable it?

Thanks!

it's cumulative and adds onto your existing time

i did $15 jan 1st then another $10 half way through the year.

when i got over the $25 mark it kicked my adblock up a year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
kevintlee wrote:
rekinom wrote:
Aldie wrote:

Thanks!

So poor people like me who can only afford to contribute $15/year, if I contribute 2 days earlier this December than last December, I get the joy of adblock for 2 days
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
JohnnyDollar wrote:

So poor people like me who can only afford to contribute $15/year, if I contribute 2 days earlier this December than last December, I get the joy of adblock for 2 days

no, actually the clock on 12 months is added when you hit the $25 mark so you'll get a full year starting with the contribution date.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fitzgerald
United States
Mazomanie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I'm glad to hear it works the way you'd expect. Perhaps I observed how it worked incorrectly several years ago. Either that or it changed. If I recall correctly, I'd put in for a badge late one year than at the start of the year next year and only got the 1 year from the 2nd badge. But whatever, if it isn't supposed to work that way, I'll get my donation in and just be happy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abraham Drucker
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
MOAR GAMES
badge
Damn Dirty Ape I Love You
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyDollar wrote:
kevintlee wrote:
rekinom wrote:
Aldie wrote:

Thanks!

I'm pretty sure that you are correct. If I recall correctly, that is how it worked for me b4 I moved myself up to the $25/year level to get adblock (it was the right side tower ad that pushed me over the edge).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
i think the purchase of the badge (previously $10) was at one time enough to get 1 year in adblock.

they are no longer linked. now the badge is $15 but $25 is required for a year of adblock.

i could be wrong with my assumption that the $25 is within the calendar year (not within the past 12 months) but your example seems feasible with my understanding of when the badge was linked to the adblock cost
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Firstly, I am the mug that has and will, alway leave on the ads. Honestly they don't bother me. Most are for things that I'm modestly interested in, often I learn about new games via the adverts; once a year there is an advert that I feel should get banned that I pass on, as anyone can/should, to Chad. As I feel this way and It helps the site - fine I just leave them on.

Secondly, I think it's worth saying that it's possible to spend GG rather than real money to switch on ad block - though at 20gg for 30days it's rather pricey for all but regular contributors. You can also switch off adverts for 2 whole years this way!.

Thirdly, If you feel like your ad block is doing something it shouldn't - eg you're not getting what you paid for - please message Octavian with details.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fitzgerald
United States
Mazomanie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really prefer the BGG AdBlock to using an add-on because it is selective. Like the Tanga ads I find pretty irritating because I'll never buy anything from Tanga. Other ads I am interested in. Using a plug-in was overly restrictive to my desires. So, yeah, I find AdBlock to be a pretty awesome service and well worth the extra $10.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
Asmor wrote:
I only started using AdBlock relatively recently, due to increased incidence of ads that play sound.

There should be exactly 0 ads on BGG that play sound. If you ever see one, it is somehow bypassing a filter, and it should be reported.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clem Fandango
New Zealand
WELLINGTON
flag msg tools
Stephen, it's Clem Fandango. Can you hear me?
badge
YES I can hear you Clem Fandango!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes but when can I pay to support BGG and get the 13 badge, and what colour will it be???

Oh look:

CLOSED: 2013 2nd annual Supporter Badge Colour / Color sweepstake currently 250gg to be won

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Wojciechowski
United States
Aurora
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
B Factor wrote:
russ wrote:

thumbsup whistle

And I will contribute sooner if the BGG form software is enhanced to make a little cartoon image of a smirking devil appear with a speech balloon saying:

"You appear to be replying to a post, and while you are technically adding content beyond a thumbs up, you appear to be a smart ass."

thumbsupwhistledevil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Di Girolami
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What if you become a patron does it automatically block ads? Because personally I find them useful in finding shops to purchase games from, in fact some of them I probably would have not found out about if not for the ads.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.