Hide
11 Posts

Spartacus: A Game of Blood & Treachery» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Does anyone ever buy the 8 dice gladiators? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Syn Egg
msg tools
Every time the useless 8 dice gladiators come up in the market phase (Auctus and Kerza), everyone almost certainly bids 0. The only time someone bid was when Auctus came up near the end and Batiatus wanted to collect him for his ability. I also bid the starting price (2 gold) to try and deny him. Sure enough Batiatus was too cheap to pay 3 gold and Auctus was discarded once again.

The only other uses I can think of are to act as bodyguards for your champion and to prevent shameful ludus (-1 influence for no gladiators).

Frankly I don't think they are worth even 1 gold. If you keep them in your ludus they cost gold every turn and might even lose to a starting gladiator on a bad day.

Note: Duro and Ashur are also 8 dice but they are extremely useful because of their abilities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scorpio Seb
Canada
flag msg tools
Perhaps the to-be announced 2 vs. 1 combat rules will render them more pertinent. Or a good Rigged Match vs. a slave hm? ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Plei Forejoy
Singapore
flag msg tools
This space for rent!
badge
Painting all these miniatures is starting to crimp my time...
mbmbmbmbmb
ScorpioSeb wrote:
Or a good Rigged Match vs. a slave hm? ninja

You cannot Rig a Slave into a match; you can only exchange Gladiators.

Ref: Rigging The Match - GF9’s Insights & Clarifications

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scorpio Seb
Canada
flag msg tools
Jebbie wrote:
ScorpioSeb wrote:
Or a good Rigged Match vs. a slave hm? ninja

You cannot Rig a Slave into a match; you can only exchange Gladiators.

Ref: Rigging The Match - GF9’s Insights & Clarifications

Thanks for the GF9 feedback. Well then, except for Batiatus' skill, they a.r.e. useless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Romeo
Canada
Chicoutimi
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmb
They are at least worth their selling price. loll But Seriously, very usefull to get an influence by discarding them when you have the 1-1-1 or the 3 glads for 1 influence factions!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcelo Marques
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To be honest it is dependant on your strategy. Yesterday I played it and pick up Varro, the unique gladiator showed in 3 rounds. As I am the host for the 3 rounds coming (not buy slaves, weapons or nothing - except Javelin), Varro is champion of Capua.

If you can pick up the matches, maybe can be a good acquisition. And I always bet at least 1 for anything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Syn Egg
msg tools
Marael wrote:
To be honest it is dependant on your strategy. Yesterday I played it and pick up Varro, the unique gladiator showed in 3 rounds. As I am the host for the 3 rounds coming (not buy slaves, weapons or nothing - except Javelin), Varro is champion of Capua.

If you can pick up the matches, maybe can be a good acquisition. And I always bet at least 1 for anything.

If you were allowed to be host for 3 rounds in a row your opponents failed spectacularly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Romeo
Canada
Chicoutimi
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmb
3 glads at one or two dollars each means between 3 to 6 dollars + the upkeep about 2-3 dollars if you buy them fast enough... between 5 to 9 dollars for an influence point if you're battius (I think) isn't bad (plus the scheme for having lots of glads)...

Also the 1-1-1 guy you just need two of them to get two influence points when combined with guard(which are very easy to get) and 2 slaves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tala Mare
msg tools
mb
In one of our games, Auctus beat Shadow of Death

No one could believe it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cooper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Mage Wars: Beastmaster's Pet
mbmbmbmbmb
If your opponent gets a single bad starting roll in a combat, an average gladiator can beat a good one. An in a 4 player game, the owner of the best gladiator might not get invited to fight as often as he might want.

Looking forward to 6-player games...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vili Rantanen
Finland
flag msg tools
They're not completely useless. The reroll-ability is useful and if you happen to have good equipment (helmet/gladius/axe/net) you can take on a stronger gladiator with Auctus/Kerza who probably cost you 1-4 gp. Early game they can get a win or two and after that just getting on the field nets you some flavor-gold.

ps. there's also the fact that every card game needs "sub-par" cards to dilute the deck somewhat. If every card is a valuetown superman with a game-changer skill you're playing the pokemon trading card game not a serious board/card game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.