CURRAMBINE
W.A.
flag msg tools
14,100+ Profile Views and counting!
badge
Want Geekgold? Visit my profile!
mbmbmbmbmb
Edit: Previous subject title "My birthday: Which game should I hope for most?"

So Friday marks the day I turn yet another year older & then begin counting down the final year of my twenties. Time goes by so quick as you get older - I'd heard that so much when I was young and it certainly becomes true later in life.

But enough about the ponderings of aging; we're on BGG so let's talk games!

So, being the awkwardly hard to buy for person that I am it seemed a wise idea to supply my fiancé with a short list from my WTB list here to hopefully pick from.

Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game - just came back in stock at my FLGS
Mice and Mystics - arrived and was on hold for me
Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game - seems to be the latest hype & caught my CMG radar
Dungeon Petz - has been lurking in my WTB for some time

So, assuming I'm not lacking an audience willing to play any of the above, which game do you think would be best to receive? All four games hold high merit to be purchased and I have my own strong arguements for each, but I'd like to hear how anyone else could way up any comparisons, likes or dislikes, or generally any other kind of feedback on any of these four games?

Thanks in advance for all and any feedback - at the very least it will help me prioritize my purchases post-birthday
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Derbyshire
United Kingdom
Norton Mandeville
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: My birthday: Which game should I hope for most?
I own all with the exception of Star Wars and my personal opinion is Dungeon Petz is easily the best on that list. Plus it's possibly most likley your fiance will play it with you as it looks all cutie. It's an aces game though and playes really well 2p.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Stanton
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say Dungeon Petz too. I think it would hit the table more often.
Mice & Mystics I'd put next in line

The other 2 seem to need a particular type of player & possibly have less general appeal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan James
United States
Commerce Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
Professor, isn't it time for your nap?
badge
YES, DAMMIT!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played all of these except for Star Wars, and my vote is for Mice and Mystics. We're going through it right now with my gaming group, and it's going to be a lengthy and awesome experience. It depends on what you're looking for, though.

M&M is pretty well suited for families, non-gamers, and gamers. Kind of an introductory Dungeon Crawl with enough meat for the experienced gamer. We played the first scenario a couple weeks ago, and it was awesome! The great thing about this game is that you can either play it in one-off scenarios or as a campaign. Also the rich narrative makes the experience that much more engaging. It's kind of like The D&D Adventure Games, only with more story.

Dungeon Petz is awesome, but very brain-burn inducing. It's not a game for non-gamers, but is a definite gamer's game. The theme is fantastic, and it's a very cool and awesome game, just know going in that it's not as light as it looks.

Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game is much more random. The zombie theme is portrayed pretty well in this game, and it can be a lot of fun, but IMO it gets stale after a few plays. Some scenarios can end in one or two turns depending on how the deck is shuffled, or it can take way longer. How well you do basically depends on card draws. Also, once you've done all the scenarios that come in the box, you'll definitely want to get the expansions to make it last a bit longer. Maybe think about Zombicide to get your zombie fix.

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy the Hut
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Sit beside the breakfast table Think about your troubles Pour yourself a cup of tea Then think about the bubbles
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I'd be most excited about Mice and Mystics.

Have a happy birthday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bird
Australia
CURRAMBINE
W.A.
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the feedback so far Two votes each way for Mice & Mystics and Dungeon Petz is very interesting indeed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Reynolds
Georgia
Brezhnevograd
Former Upper Caucasus
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Case Blue

of course

ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin
United States
glennallen
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We love Dungeon Petz at our house. I have not played the other three. However, Mice and Mystics is fairly high on my wishlist. It looks like a game we can enjoy with the kids. And, we own the X-wing game but we have yet to play.

Happy Birthday!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Smith
United States
Tavares
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anything but Crappy Birthday would make me happy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Gibbons
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
mb
Dungeon Petz is really the odd man out in your list. You should understand before you buy it that it is a medium-heavy Euro game, despite it being ranked as a 'Thematic Game' on its page. I see that you don't really own or rank any Euros, so it will probably be very different than everything in your current collection.

Having said that, I'm a Euro gamer and I think it's great. At its heart it is a worker placement game with some other interesting mechanics mixed in as well. Don't be fooled by the theme and artwork, though--it's a difficult, complex game. Those cute little pets can be very frustrating and AP inducing. At the same time, though, it's highly entertaining, fun, and interactive (for a Euro).

I haven't played any of the other games you mentioned, so you're getting a very, very biased vote for Dungeon Petz from me. It's a good one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bird
Australia
CURRAMBINE
W.A.
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
utcarver wrote:
Dungeon Petz is really the odd man out in your list. You should understand before you buy it that it is a medium-heavy Euro game, despite it being ranked as a 'Thematic Game' on its page. I see that you don't really own or rank any Euros, so it will probably be very different than everything in your current collection.

Having said that, I'm a Euro gamer and I think it's great. At its heart it is a worker placement game with some other interesting mechanics mixed in as well. Don't be fooled by the theme and artwork, though--it's a difficult, complex game. Those cute little pets can be very frustrating and AP inducing. At the same time, though, it's highly entertaining, fun, and interactive (for a Euro).

I haven't played any of the other games you mentioned, so you're getting a very, very biased vote for Dungeon Petz from me. It's a good one.

Thanks for the in-depth, Cole The fact it's a Euro and utilizes worker placement was exactly what I was wanting this game for I try not to have too many overlapping mechanics in my collection and whilst truthfully not being the hugest fan of Euros, Dungeon Prtz just ticks all the right boxes and will end up in my collection sooner or later.

Sounds like resounding love for Dungeon Petz so far, less than 24 hours until I know which game I end up with. Assuming my fiancé isn't throwing me a curve ball, in which case I'll have to pick up one myself

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Gibbons
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
mb
Mark:
Great. It sounds like you would like it then. Maybe we'll have a Euro convert on our hands. Pretty soon you'll be playing (and loving) Louis XIV and Troyes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bird
Australia
CURRAMBINE
W.A.
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
*drumroll*

Opening my presents this morning and I got...

Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game

Have to say I'm very happy with that; as I would have been receiving absolutely any game I'd put on offer! Looking forward to playing it and my fiancé has even offered to play it this weekend to see what it likes surprise

Question is now do I let her play the Imperials (which may end up with more AP from controlling two units) or as the Rebels (less AP, but apparently odds are stacked against them)?

I want to make the experience as enjoyable as possible - this is the first time she's been willing to play a miniatures game since I scared her off them years ago playing Monsterpocalypse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bird
Australia
CURRAMBINE
W.A.
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure if the change in direction/question of this post should have it moved to "Recommendation" forum or the "Star Was: X-Wing Minitiatures Game" sub-forum by an admin?

Would be great to get any kind of advice on this X-Wing related question in the next 24 hours before I get the game on the table Thanks in advance for all and any responses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mohrlock wrote:
Question is now do I let her play the Imperials (which may end up with more AP from controlling two units) or as the Rebels (less AP, but apparently odds are stacked against them)?

Give her the pros and cons of both sides and let her decide.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.