Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
41 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: What Wargame Did You Buy Yourself That You Can't Open 'Til Christmas? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe C Faust
United States
Hartville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How many of us out here are doing Christmas shopping for ourselves?

Over the last few years, my in-laws have traditionally given everyone money to buy Christmas presents from them. It's not a surprise to us, but they love the surprise of seeing what they bought everyone.

Part of their gift to me this year is:

Got to plug Marnaudo's video reviews for putting this one on my radar. Really looking forward to December 25!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Lewis
United States
West Des Moines
IA
flag msg tools
designer
Victory By Any Means
badge
"Fear God and Dread Nought"
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
What Wargame Did You Buy Yourself That You Can't Open 'Til Christmas?

You wait? Such patience!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Y
United States
Peoria
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hellenes: Campaigns of the Peloponnesian War (which is from a friend, but I told him to just give it to me for Christmas) and I got myself The Tide at Sunrise: The Russo-Japanese War, 1904-1905. I'm looking forward to that Tuesday morning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Low
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A toss between The Barbarossa Campaign and Field Commander: Rommel. They have not arrived, so hopefully the rule books from my SS goodies can occupy me till the 25th.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
United States
Delafield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Movember
mb
Joe, does your wife have a sister?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Doyle
United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bloody April, 1917: Air War Over Arras, France is waiting to be wrapped by my wife.

The shrink wrap kind of fell off though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Diosi
Canada
Newcastle
Ontario
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No waiting! Must open now!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Ransom
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
This Memorial Day weekend, do not thank a veteran. Say a prayer of thanks for those in our military who gave their last full measure of devotion, and all their tomorrows, so that we could enjoy today and all OUR tomorrows.
mbmbmbmbmb
Just ordered the new boxed, upgraded second edition of

I plan to exert incredible willpower and wait until Christmas morning. Must...be...strong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front fan, Cats were once worshipped as gods and they haven't forgotten this, Combat Commander series fan, The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!, Fields of Fire fan
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb

2nd edition preorder with Butterfield solo module coming next year included. Should arrive before the holidays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Every Man a (K-State) Wildcat!
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb

...assuming I can get it at Worthington's Black Friday sale.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kossits
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great choice. FC Napoleon will be an absolutely amazing game to play over the holidays.

As for me? I'm at an age where I always open things when I feel like opening them...and that's usually on the subway on the way home from the shop. If I end up spoiling some sort of Christmas surprise that way, well.....then buy me another present!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Burke
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Picked it up at the pre-Black Friday sale. Still awaiting delivery.
Told the wife last night that I didn't need socks or sweaters and that I'd got myself a wargame. I'll throw a few scale model kits from my unbuilt hoard under the tree also.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
United States
Delafield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Movember
mb
airjudden wrote:

...assuming I can get it at Worthington's Black Friday sale.
THAT is great cover art!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lavoie
United States
Nashua
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ever since lending my assistance to Mark Hinkle in the production of New England Simulations game The Battle for Dresden 1813, I've been very interested in Napoleon's 1813 campaign in Germany. Earlier this year, I saw that GMT Games was selling Jours de Gloire Campagne IV: Allemagne 1813, de Lützen à Leipzig (published by Hexasim ) and I was intrigued. Money is tight around here, however, and I was unable to pull the trigger on a purchase. Fortunately, CoolStuff Inc. had it for $25 during their "Octobertastic Sale" and I quickly snapped it up. No sooner had it arrived than my wife snatched it up, declared that it was one of my Christmas presents, and hid it away.

It's been a month and I'm really itching to get my hands on it. And still over a month to go!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe C Faust
United States
Hartville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kluvon wrote:
Joe, does your wife have a sister?

Yes, two of them. Unfortunately, both are taken. Even more unfortunately, not by fellow Grognards.

cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Szarka
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
When it is your turn to send a VASSAL move, the wait is excruciating. When it's my turn, well, I've been busy.
mbmbmbmbmb
I was just thinking of buying The Scheldt Campaign to be a gift to me from...well somebody. Possibly the cat. A game on an obscure subject from a small, direct-mail only wargame company. Not like anyone is going to get it for me. In fact, not like anyone in my family is going to get me a game at all. My wife would probably rather rent me an hour with a hooker than buy me another game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Arthur
Australia
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Red Badge of Courage...not christmas but birthday which is 5 days after so may as well be
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Barree
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
General Bonkers says the War on String may be unwinnable. Detractors worry that his statements will embolden string.
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking like it'll be Pax Baltica. I just got the email today saying my card has been charged. Wasn't expecting it until next year but it might be in my hands by Christmas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain
England
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
now retired so time for more gaming!
badge
Alumini of Dogwarts University - Double First : Engineering for Dogs
mbmbmbmbmb

My game that's been put away till Christmas is:

Infidel

looking forward to ripping off the shrink-wrap on the 25th
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lai
Hong Kong
Happy Valley
None
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the context of "buying wargames for oneself", its Christmas everyday for me.

Day before yesterday I received the latest S&T issue Tobruk, Operation Crusader, Nov-Dec 1941

Yesterday I received the 4th edition of Anzio.

Today I received another set of Expedite Shelves from Ikea to put my growing collection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
We will bury you
mbmbmbmbmb
Twilight Struggle delux edition.

I had the first edition for several years and decided to trade up. Plus my son is in 8th grade so is learning US history - this will be good for him too (or so I will justify)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martyn Smith
England
Bourne
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
badge
"We don't see things as they are, but as we are." Anais Nin
mbmbmbmbmb
The Hunters: German U-Boats at War, 1939-43

I realise that this isn't even being released until after Christmas, but this further demonstrates my HUGE desire for this to be the game that gets my Christmas money...

I am also putting some money aside for this one, which I think ultimately qualifies as a war-game - in fact, given its cosmic and eternal context maybe it's actually the ULTIMATE war-game...

As soon as it's gone through KickStarter it'll be winging it's way over the Pond to me for September 2013 - now THAT is something to look forward to... Battle For Souls
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cpl. Fields
South Africa
Hopelessly Surrounded
Isandlwana, Zululand
flag msg tools
<insert something pithy here>
badge
<insert something clever here>
mbmbmbmbmb
Hoping this will arrive in time to go under the tree:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Twine
United Kingdom
Near Portsmouth
flag msg tools
"You do not stop playing games when you get old; you get old when you stop playing games." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
mbmbmbmbmb
Just ordered:

and

I can`t open `em `til Christmas because that`s how long they`ll take to get here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
United States
Delafield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Movember
mb
mcszarka wrote:
My wife would probably rather rent me an hour with a hooker than buy me another game.
Would you play Twilight Struggle?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.