Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Neil Sproston
United Kingdom
Runcorn
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Afternoon all, I have been a long time lurker on these forums but I haven't posted until now.

I am looking for a new game for Christmas, but I'm not 100% on what I'd like. I mainly play games with my wife, but occasionally want to play with others. We currently play Carcassonne, GoT: The Card Game, Betrayal at House on the Hill, Saboteur, Citadels and Alhambra. We like the bluffing style of games like Saboteur, Citadels and GoT to some extent. I am wanting to get into something that is more in-depth and move away from what we have already.

I have a safe option in Ticket to Ride should I get really stuck for an idea. We both played and really liked the A Game of Thrones: The Board Game but the number of players is the problem with that one.

Sorry to be completely vague, but use that vagueness as a blank canvas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Chaz
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Condottiere is the $15 solution!
Plus, you can play it on road trips
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan James
United States
Commerce Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
Professor, isn't it time for your nap?
badge
YES, DAMMIT!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like another job for The Resistance!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Sproston
United Kingdom
Runcorn
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We played The Resistance at the weekend and while it is a quality game, it doesn't fit the bill for something we can play alone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Stanton
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You might be intrigued by Notre Dame

If you like the set-collection element of Ticket to Ride, you may also like Lords of Waterdeep
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thebes
The Castles of Burgundy
Lords of Waterdeep
Ticket to Ride: Nordic Countries
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan James
United States
Commerce Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
Professor, isn't it time for your nap?
badge
YES, DAMMIT!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sprog wrote:
We played The Resistance at the weekend and while it is a quality game, it doesn't fit the bill for something we can play alone.

Yeah that's no good with two...

...okay the best 2-player recommendation I can make is:

Claustrophobia

Not sure how you feel about theme and dungeon crawls, but holy hand grenade this game is amazing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy the Hut
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Sit beside the breakfast table Think about your troubles Pour yourself a cup of tea Then think about the bubbles
mbmbmbmbmb
otha62 wrote:

I'd second the suggestion for The Castles of Burgundy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Traders of Osaka, while seemingly a multiplayer solitaire game, is all about reading your opponent for almost any action you take will benefit your opponent. So you have to guess what they'll do but it's TOUGH. OOP, unfortunately.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Charters
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would stick with Ticket to Ride. It's a classic that belongs in every boardgame collection, IMO.

Why start on Calculus before you learn Algebra?

Also, I'd recommend getting the 1910 expansion right off the bat (so you get the bigger cards).
redtraingreentrainbluetrainyellowtrainblacktrainpurpletrainwhitetrain
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samantha RD
South Africa
Harrismith
Free State
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

You could have a look at Twilight Struggle. It's not everyone's cup of tea, but my hubby and I find it excellent as a two player battle of wits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Sproston
United Kingdom
Runcorn
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a few games that have come up that have been on my own radar. Twilight Struggle was one of them, the other was Lords of Waterdeep. Twilight Struggle appealed to me for the content as well as the game mechanics. I'm not too sure if the Cold War would appeal to the wife as well unfortunately.

Please keep them coming, I'll go through them with the missus and see what interests her as well as that will help my decision.

Thanks for the suggestions so far!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samantha RD
South Africa
Harrismith
Free State
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sprog wrote:
Twilight Struggle appealed to me for the content as well as the game mechanics. I'm not too sure if the Cold War would appeal to the wife as well unfortunately.

Honestly, I wasn't enthused about the the theme either when we first looked into this one. After playing it, I ended up watching a really long documentary series on the Cold War to bring myself up to scratch on the details.

The game just breeds this incredible tension and bluffing that makes it intense but great to play through.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Kazimierczak
United States
Falmouth
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For 2 players (a couple) I recommend:

Seasons
Morels

Both are solid 2 player experiences with buckets of replayability.

Condotierre is absolutely awful with 2 players-- you're better off just doing taxes together. After playing it, I had may first "maybe I should just recycle this game now" moment. whistle

Twilight Struggle is great 2 players, but if the political theme doesn't grab you then it will feel like work. For some reason I don't see spouses jumping on this one in my gaming circle (it looks too much like Risk when you set up the map maybe).

Blokus Duo is a nice, cheap abstract that is relatively portable. If you're into abstracts...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ticket to Ride Nordic Countries is a much better game than TTR for 2. But if that is what you are looking at, then Thurn and Taxis is a little more meatier and works great with 2.

For much meatier 2 person games try: Antike Duellum and Polis: Fight for the Hegemony. But they are 2 person only.

For games that play well enough with 2 but in my opinion better with more try Alien Frontiers and Navegador.

Other things to look at:
Dominion
Seasons
Innovation
if you like games about cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakub Kurczyna
United Kingdom
Doncaster
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sprog wrote:
There are a few games that have come up that have been on my own radar. Twilight Struggle was one of them, the other was Lords of Waterdeep. Twilight Struggle appealed to me for the content as well as the game mechanics. I'm not too sure if the Cold War would appeal to the wife as well unfortunately.

Please keep them coming, I'll go through them with the missus and see what interests her as well as that will help my decision.

Thanks for the suggestions so far!

Apparently some people feel that 1960: The Making Of The President has a similar feeling to TS with a less aggressive theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kārlis Jēriņš
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
I'm a sheep.
badge
A lovely, fluffy sheep.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like bluffing games, you might want to take a look at Vampire Empire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Notre Dame !!!!

+1 for Morels (a 2 player game about foraging for Mushrooms...How cool is that?)

Jaipur...a light, quick 2 player card game about acquiring and selling goods

Jambo...another 2 player card game about buying/selling goods but is much deeper than Jaipur. Jambo takes about 45 minutes and will take a few plays to get used to the effects of the cards.

But you should really check out Notre Dame. I play it every chance I get. Not too heavy, not too light. 2 player takes about 45 minutes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Switzerland
Buchs
St. Gallen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I second Seasons and with some reluctance also Dominion. Those would certainly be different to what you have, play both 2 players as well as more and are well regarded games.

How about Agricola or Agricola ACBAS?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Witek W
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
“It is a civilizational wake-up call. A powerful message—spoken in the language of fires, floods, droughts, and extinctions—telling us that we need an entirely new economic model and a new way of sharing this planet.” ― Naomi Klein
badge
“Climate change has never received the crisis treatment from our leaders, despite the fact that it carries the risk of destroying lives on a vastly greater scale than collapsed banks or collapsed buildings.” ― Naomi Klein
mb

+1 Castles of Burgundy
+1 Notre Dame

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Deignan
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Because you mention you like the bluffing style of games, you might want to consider Android: Netrunner. It's two player only though and is a "living card game" which means you'll be faced with copious expansions just like you are with A Game of Thrones. Not sure if this would be a deal breaker for you or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.