Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brad DeRan
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I wanted to post this, somewhat to see what others and the designer might think. First off i want to say that I love 1st & goal, i mean it's football and it's a boardgame, you can't go wrong with that. However there is one aspect that really has bothered me when i have played the game and that is that at the end of the game both players know what is in the offenses hand. Even if you have timeout you are still very limited on what you can call, and if you have no timeouts, well then, good luck getting any yards. It also doesn't accuarately simulate the end of a football game. You are not going to run the ball over and over when you are down by 7 with under a minute to play and have 80 yards to drive.

To combat this, me and someone else in the 1st & Goal leage at CABS came up with this idea:

1.You do not use the offensive deck as a time marker. Both players will manage the clock by using markers on one of the Scoring tracks, moving the marker up each time a play is done.

2. With running plays and pass plays that are applicable instead of burning a card you just move the clock marker one more up. Timeouts again can always stop this from happening.

3. 1 of each offensive play will be taken out of the deck to make a Timeout deck, each time you take a card from the timeout deck, the next time you play it it goes back into that deck off to the side. This still allows access to all offensive plays when calling a Timeout.

4. Whenever a change of sides occurs, the whole offensive deck, minus those out for the timeout deck, and the defenseive deck are reshuffled and 8 new cards are drawn.

5. Once the agreed upon number of plays is reached the half/game is over.

This would eliminate the problem of the other team knowing what you have, it would also eliminate the problem of I know you have a good running game so i am going to purposely waste all the running plays so you can't do your best plays. It makes it more open to what plays you can call thus feeling more like a real game. It would help with the problem of burning cards for a 2 point conversion at the end of a half or game when you don't have any, even though it doesn't take any time.

I want to know what others think about this possible variant and what it might add or detract from the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad DeRan
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This would also allow for extented games based on how many plays the players wanted to play each half without needing another set to add more plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Schiewer
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How has this worked for you? I am receiving two base sets so I can host a tournament and was thinking I could do something similar when not hosting a tourney. Maybe not reshuffling the cards each time but keeping an outside timer going while each team maintains their own offensive/defensive deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.