Popular Tags: [View All]
Keegan Fink
United States
Havertown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I skimmed through the Rules Clarification Document (and the rulebook), but I was playing TOI with my wife last night and she wanted clarification on whether a unit responding to enemy movement (using opportunity fire) counted as an "action". She had a card from the Command strategy deck that allowed her to perform an action before the other player can use their action. I replied that units reacting via op fire were merely "responding" to an enemy action, and that the use of opportunity fire to interrupt the enemy did not consist of an action (as defined by "action" turns during the Action phase). Is this correct?

I feel silly, but I just couldn't find the fine print to support my statement. I've always played it this way, so I've never thought about it any other way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dangerous Partners
United Kingdom
Swindon
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure you're right - that card gets used to allow you to take an action out of turn i.e. during your opponent's set of 3 (or 4 or whatever) actions in a round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark selleck
Australia
Alice Springs
NT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thats right you can't use the card for that also Im pretty sure it says before your "opponent takes an action" and if you were moving you have already taken an action and are still in the middle of it. the only way would be if the other unit was in op fire (which in that case you wouldnt need the card anyway)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keegan Fink
United States
Havertown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I figured this was the case. Since the game is very specific about in-game terms (round, phase, turn, action), I had always assumed that shooting a moving enemy target (having previously applied the OP Fire) did not constitute an "action" (as it takes place during the enemy's "action" turn). I just figured shooting with OP Fire was a reaction, and wouldn't trigger that particular interrupt feature from the Command strategy card.

It wasn't until playing with my wife, voicing her own questions regarding the requirements for triggering the card, that I ever thought to speculate on whether OP fire shooting was an "action"

Thanks guys!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I answered this in the other thread, but I'll cut and paste here

Lugburz wrote:
I skimmed through the Rules Clarification Document (and the rulebook), but I was playing TOI with my wife last night and she wanted clarification on whether a unit responding to enemy movement (using opportunity fire) counted as an "action". She had a card from the Command strategy deck that allowed her to perform an action before the other player can use their action. I replied that units reacting via op fire were merely "responding" to an enemy action, and that the use of opportunity fire to interrupt the enemy did not consist of an action (as defined by "action" turns during the Action phase). Is this correct?

I feel silly, but I just couldn't find the fine print to support my statement. I've always played it this way, so I've never thought about it any other way.

Think of it this way. Units in Op Fire already used their action to go into Op Fire. That being said, your wife could have played the "Surprise Assault" card (that she had to buy during a command phase of a previous turn) and place one of her units in Op Fire immediately before you took an action. If she so wanted to. Or she could have simply fired, assaulted, or do any other action with one of her units.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.