Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Elder Sign. It's not even close. To me, Thunderstone seems to be an overly-convuluted deckbuilder. If you are looking for a deckbuilder, go with Dominion or Ascension instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Schott
United States
Roanoke
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Totally depends on what you like to play. I don't see them as really being in the same category of game.

Elder sign - dice rolling, some cooperative play available, lots of luck involved because of the dice. A fun game, but heavily dependent on the roll of the dice and the cards that come up.

Thunderstone Advanced - a deck-building game. Construct your deck, enter the dungeon to defeat monsters and claim experience and victory points. Luck involved in the types of cards that you draw. There's a bit of setup involved, but that can be streamlined with some practice.

For me - I'm more likely to get Thunderstone to the table than Elder Sign, mostly due to theme and a little better control of the deck you're building. I like them both, though.

I'd recommend posting the same question in the Thunderstone forums to see what they say there, if you haven't already. ;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
paschott wrote:
A fun game, but heavily dependent on the roll of the dice and the cards that come up.

Which you can mitigate a bit through the use of clue tokens. Being into the Mythos certainly puts me in the "slightly" biased category, tho. goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Schott
United States
Roanoke
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
True, you can mitigate it to some extent with Clue tokens, though I seem to remember that even those just let you re-roll. (Remembering a game of Arkham where I went through several re-rolls to try to succeed and failed each time. :-( )

I think they're both good games, just very different in gameplay and theme so not quite sure why this is a "which is better" type question. I lean slightly towards Thunderstone, mostly because the gameplay is more to my liking. I wouldn't likely turn down a game of Elder Sign, though.

Back to Mark - so what's driving you to ask the question? What games do you like already? That will probably help give a little better advice on which way to lean.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.