Popular Tags: [View All]
B Patterson
United States
Longview
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am a die hard DC Comics fan. That being said I am very disappointed I won't be able to play this game by myself.

I find it interesting that every DC comic book, graphic novel, movie and video game (besides DC Universe Online) is designed for fan boys to experience solo or share the experience with friends.

So yesterday I took the plunge...and bought Legendary. Got to say the solo play is really fun and the two-player is a blast too. Now my only hope is the Batman: Arkham Escape will be solo and have solid game play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hyra
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Without competition for cards, deck-building games lose a lot. However, this game could be played solo by putting yourself on a clock. Like:

~You have 25 turns in which to beat all 8 Super-Villains. When you complete that challenge, try to beat them all in 20 turns next time.

You should also use the "On Patrol" variant and have the Attacks that hit the Line-Up even between turns hit you. Otherwise you'll never get attacked except by the Super-Villains.

Give it a try and post any other methods you come up with.

Thanks,
Matt Hyra
Cryptozoic R&D

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas King
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Matt Hyra wrote:
Without competition for cards, deck-building games lose a lot.

You could have kept competition for cards, but instead of competing with other players, you're competing against the game.

Alternatively, each card purchase could be a much heavier decision, like in Shadowrift, where it's not about buying up powerful cards before they're removed, it's about creating and deploying a strategy before the AI hits you. Most of the cards are useful, but you have to figure out how to make the best use of the few you can buy before something bad happens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Off The Shelf Board Game Reviews
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Matt Hyra wrote:
Without competition for cards, deck-building games lose a lot. However, this game could be played solo by putting yourself on a clock. Like:

~You have 25 turns in which to beat all 8 Super-Villains. When you complete that challenge, try to beat them all in 20 turns next time.

You should also use the "On Patrol" variant and have the Attacks that hit the Line-Up even between turns hit you. Otherwise you'll never get attacked except by the Super-Villains.

Thanks,
Matt Hyra
Cryptozoic R&D

We already have 2 very good co-operative Super Hero Card Games on the market. I am kind of happy to see a less co-operative take on the genre enter the marketplace.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy eland
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
how can you play it solo if there is no way to lose? get marvel legendary. it's way better imo. this game just looks like play cards to buy cards tell you have 8 points to kill off the baddie. in marvel legendary you play cards to fight minions and to buy more cards. then when you have the right hand to take out the mastermind you can but it takes four hits to win. and also you have scheme cards counting down the end of the game and you losing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Hughes
United States
West Des Moines
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
troyboy81 wrote:
how can you play it solo if there is no way to lose? get marvel legendary. it's way better imo. this game just looks like play cards to buy cards tell you have 8 points to kill off the baddie. in marvel legendary you play cards to fight minions and to buy more cards. then when you have the right hand to take out the mastermind you can but it takes four hits to win. and also you have scheme cards counting down the end of the game and you losing.

Legendary's Villian win is just a timer mechanic. Thunderstone inherently had no timer mechanic, but one was created for solo play. You can do the same for DC if someone wants to adapt it for solo play. Set number of turns, constantly cycling purchase row, seperate villians into another stack and have them cycle like in Thunderstone solo could all be ways to have it for solo play. It could really be like an old school video game where people used to compete for high score not newer style where you just play to beat it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marky mark
msg tools
Grumsh wrote:
Matt Hyra wrote:

Thanks,
Matt Hyra
Cryptozoic R&D

We already have 2 very good co-operative Super Hero Card Games on the market. I am kind of happy to see a less co-operative take on the genre enter the marketplace.

I'm curious -which 2?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Hughes
United States
West Des Moines
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My guess would be Sentinels of the Multiverse and to a lesser extent Legendary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.