Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Urbanization» Forums » General

Subject: The "Expansion" rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Drake
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Now, I haven't played the game yet... but reading the invention cards and seeing their artwork on the gameboard, I'm starting to think that they were part of the "original" game. My gut-feeling is that Queens seperate the invention cards away from the game because it would make the game feel much more heavier.

That being said, I am wondering what other people think about the invention cards. Do they distract from the game or add to them?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Büttner-Zimmermann
Germany
München
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
Wiggle It!!!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
That's nothing new. They have done that with Fresco and Fresco: Expansion Modules 4, 5 and 6, too.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Cheektowaga
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
But this expansion is more like an advanced variant as it comes in the base game so it isn't like FFG where they pull out some essential part of the game so that they can sell you the expansion later.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Drake
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
lordunborn wrote:
But this expansion is more like an advanced variant as it comes in the base game so it isn't like FFG where they pull out some essential part of the game so that they can sell you the expansion later.


Well considering that the invention cards were stretch goals, they may be a bit like FFG. After all, only 7 were obtained, but all 18 were released and the original pictures of the game included 18. I think that's why they included Aton as a bonus.... the invention cards were probably going to be included no mater what. In fact, I would be interested to know what non-kickstarter backers got (I suspect the games are the same).

That being said, I think I'm going to try to play this game with the invention cards. I feel like they separated that aspect of the game similarly to how Agricola separates the improvement cards... they add a lot of depth but make the game heavier and are difficult for new players to conceptualize their value.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P. oeppel
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
BaBang wrote:
lordunborn wrote:
But this expansion is more like an advanced variant as it comes in the base game so it isn't like FFG where they pull out some essential part of the game so that they can sell you the expansion later.


Well considering that the invention cards were stretch goals, they may be a bit like FFG. After all, only 7 were obtained, but all 18 were released and the original pictures of the game included 18. I think that's why they included Aton as a bonus.... the invention cards were probably going to be included no mater what. In fact, I would be interested to know what non-kickstarter backers got (I suspect the games are the same).

That being said, I think I'm going to try to play this game with the invention cards. I feel like they separated that aspect of the game similarly to how Agricola separates the improvement cards... they add a lot of depth but make the game heavier and are difficult for new players to conceptualize their value.


It's not that the invention cards generally were "kickstarter only". Just some of them (7 inventions, 1 character). So it's just the "simpler base game + included expansion" policy that Queen already had with games like Fresco
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Drake
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
pinoeppel wrote:

It's not that the invention cards generally were "kickstarter only". Just some of them (7 inventions, 1 character). So it's just the "simpler base game + included expansion" policy that Queen already had with games like Fresco


Doubt it. The original artwork for the game included 9-docking spaces with two-invention cards above each station (18 cards total). And in the game, we all got 18 invention cards even though only 7 were "unlocked". Furthermore, in the game, all the invention cards were packaged together... so I suspect their entire print-run is the same.

This doesn't bother me at all... but I suspect Queen Games used the invention cards as stretch goals simply to create momentum for their game. This is why they also gave a real kickstarter reward (Aton)... otherwise, there would have been no incentive to back the project.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John LaRuffa
United States
Hudsonville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Most Sacred Heart of Jesus, pray for us!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
To shed some light on your original question, I did play the game for the first time tonight and I do think that the inventions add to the game, not distract from it. I too feel like using these as stretch goals was a hoax as they were clearly part of the game and part of the original design, yet I'm glad they are in there. To be honest, I think they will add to the replayability and the flavor of the game more than if they were not there. They present a myriad of specific choices to hone your strategy and make it more complex. I like that a lot. It makes this game at eight for me versus a seven if they were not there.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartosz Popow
Poland
Gdynia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Edit: the post was edited, because it wasn't entirely true ;].
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.