Hide
9 Posts

Blood Bowl: Team Manager – The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: Humans are too strong? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
sheiz nen
msg tools
I've played this game for close to 50 times and I found humans to be too strong.

In the games that I've played, humans just needed to focus on getting star players throughout the game and getting the team upgrade Publicity Stunt which is pretty easy to do.
Publicity Stunt
End Of Game: Get 2 fans for each human star player and 1 fan for each other star player.

Almost all star players are guaranteed to be useful, unlike staff and team upgrades and even if you get the not so strong freebooters, you can at least discard a lineman.

With this strategy, your team is sure to get stronger AND at the end of the game, you would get an easy bonus of around 10 fans using Publicity Stunt pretty much guaranteeing a win if you're not super unlucky and you didn't screw up too much.

The original game included similar staff upgrades that were subsequently removed and used only in the No Salary Cap variant because they upset the game balance too much (I think). I have a feeling that this applies to Publicity Stunt too.

As for the other teams, they're pretty balanced except for dwarves with their worthless team upgrades. Man, I hate dwarves.

I'll probably just play without the humans and dwarves for now. I love this game and I hope that the expansion would not have these balance issues. Or maybe I'm playing it wrong and there are actually no issues at all. What do you guys think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris G
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played at least 25 times about 50/50 before the errata and haven't found this to be the case in our games. Orcs overall probably have the worst win streak and we always randomly distribute the teams. Despite the amount of random factors between the teams I'd say this is one of the better balanced games that can account for so much variability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CJ
United Kingdom
Colchester
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I posted a while back pondering why the Skaven were so good and the Humans not so. The general consensus was that I was wrong - this then proved to be borne out as I played a few more games. The humans are good but they are not unbeatable and I have lost far more times with them than I have won. That said, they are definitely one of, if not the, best team. Not TOO strong, though...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Wann
Australia
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yoou need to adapt your tactics depending on the team you are up against.

When playing against Humans you should focus on denying them access to Staff Upgrades and Star Players. Without these upgrades the humans are one of the weaker teams.

In other words do not just focus on trying to better your team, but also look at hindering your opponents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sheiz nen
msg tools
On average, humans only need to see three Team Upgrades before they find Publicity Stunt. Furthermore, it doesn't matter when they get it as long as it's before the game ends. So, it's kinda hard to deny them access to it.

Also, focusing on hindering the human player isn't really gonna work as i makes it easier for the other player(s) to win. I usually play 3-player games.

Most of our games have been pretty close. On average, each team wins 1 highlight every round. Tournaments are harder to predict though but in general, the player who has more star players and comes last has a better chance of winning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sheiz nen
msg tools
elgin_j wrote:
I posted a while back pondering why the Skaven were so good and the Humans not so. The general consensus was that I was wrong - this then proved to be borne out as I played a few more games. The humans are good but they are not unbeatable and I have lost far more times with them than I have won. That said, they are definitely one of, if not the, best team. Not TOO strong, though...

I'm not saying that they win every time. After all, luck makes a big difference in it. It just seems to me that they have a definite advantage. Looks like we're basically saying the same thing though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bartosh

Sunnyvale
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've debated this one as well. Honestly, on the whole, I believe the correct answer is to just cap the gains from these "gain a fan for each X you have" cards. Allows them to still be useful and rewards investing in them, but prevents silly swings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Hawkins
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I've played about 30 times, and I find Humans to be the strongest team, followed closely by Skaven. In both cases, it's thanks to their excellent team upgrades-- the humans don't have a bad one in there, and the rats have their amazing 2-fans-for-every-loss card. Humans also benefit from having a couple of the best players-- The Ogre is one of the best Big Guys, and the Blitzer might be the best rostered player in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Notmyrealname
msg tools
I'd agree with this - the game is well balanced overall, but Humans and Skaven definitely have a slight edge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.