Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steven McBride
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am looking for an epic solo game involving character building (D&D-style leveling up) or civilization building.

I'd like it to have high replayability and maybe even room for me to have some kind of 'legacy' variant in which I could use the same character/civilization over multiple games with increasing difficulty.

I would like a single game to take at least 60 mins, preferably closer to 120 mins, and be a real challenge.

I am expecting Mage Knight and the various D&D games to be mentioned: Is Mage Knight worth getting for only solo play (there is about a 1% chance I will ever be able to play it with anyone else)? Are the D&D games to simple for what I am looking for (they seem like they are but I am not sure)?

As far as civilization building games go, it seems that none of them are designed for solo play.

Wargames will also be considered.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
d b
United States
De Forest
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
The road is full of flat squirrels, who couldn't make up their mind.
badge
I taught my dog to play Mage Knight... good dog.
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't know about good war games but Mage Knight Board Game is where it is at for a great solo experience. There is also a coming (really soon!!) expansion. Mage Knight Board Game: The Lost Legion Expansion

It really is a great game and you could probably work out a way to keep your character alive and keep playing but with tougher cities/monsters.

So go mb you know you want to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Lucato
Brazil
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stemcider wrote:

Is Mage Knight worth getting for only solo play (there is about a 1% chance I will ever be able to play it with anyone else)

Thanks!

Your situation in this case is pretty much similar to mine too, so a big yes, absolutely! Really enjoyable puzzle-like adventure solo game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Talese
United States
Horsham
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MK is best solo from my opinion and still great two player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Bodah
United States
Cambridge
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This screams mage knight. You wont be disappointed

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Another +1 for Mage Knight. It feels more like a videogame than anything, partially due to followers and other NPCs you meet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TTorres
United States
Roseville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Huge +1 from me for Mage Knight: The Board Game. However, the game is not a traditional adventure game. If you want thematic text, goal oriented narrative, or unfolding quests presented to you, this is not the game.

However each and every time I have played this game (9 logged plays, probably +2) the personal experience has felt like an epic adventure. I love it, and my imagination is happy to fill in the narrative threads with little prompting directly from the game materials.

[Added game title.]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessey
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
I also purchased this and do not know what to do with it!
badge
I purchased this and do not know what to do with it!
mbmbmbmbmb
Joining the chorus, Mage Knight FTW.

I should say, I originally bought mage knight to play with friends (2-4 player games) and in the year I have owned it I have logged dozens of solo plays and only a handful of 2player games and a single 3player. It is also easily one of my most value-packed board game purchases to date (so yes, it is worth buying for solo only).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a Mage Knight fan and it is probably the closest game to what you want (although Magic Realm may actually be closer), however, it does not offer linked play where you build off progression from previous games.

No game currently offers completely what you're looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The neutral evil villain known as
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Ow quit it.
mbmbmbmbmb
would dungeontwisterprison fit?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Gustavsson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmb
I give Mage Knight a ~. It´s a good game but it makes me feel like im in school taking math towards the end. There is no randomnes except for not knowing what monsters you´ll face, but you kind of do. It´s a good game that most people like and I do to. For me it just struggles to live up to it´s hype ad feels kind of anticlimatic. I would like stronger solo scenarios.

For an epic solo experience i recomande Barbarian Prince.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Kazimierczak
United States
Falmouth
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mage Knight won't feel like a solo RPG. It will feel like a puzzle with a fantasy theme. Not that it's a bad game, but these are not the droids you are looking for.

I love RPGs and absolutely could not stand Mage Knight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Kruczek
United Kingdom
Colchester
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunderbolt Apache Leader is a solo wargame where you lead a squadron of close-support aircraft through a campaign. Whilst not specifically building a character, your pilots and aircraft will gain experience, stress or damage as a campaign progresses, providing the legacy element you're looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed on Mage Knight, and I'm also getting the epic RPG feel from solo sessions with the recently discovered (by me) Runebound and its big box expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven McBride
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
charlest wrote:

Damn, maybe I need to design one then
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven McBride
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oglop wrote:

For an epic solo experience i recomande Barbarian Prince.

This looks awesome! And its PnP. That means I can play this and still get another game. Perfect! Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Det var bara en hake...
Sweden
flag msg tools
Help, I'm being held prisoner in an overtext typing facility! I don't have much time, they could find out at any m
badge
I'm that weirdo whose number of badges sold prior to yesterday Bail Organa is keeping track of
mbmbmbmb
kaziam wrote:
Mage Knight won't feel like a solo RPG. It will feel like a puzzle with a fantasy theme.

It cannot be stressed enough how true this is unless you have an electric stressing machine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven McBride
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tonman wrote:
Huge +1 from me for Mage Knight: The Board Game. However, the game is not a traditional adventure game. If you want thematic text, goal oriented narrative, or unfolding quests presented to you, this is not the game.

Oglop wrote:
but it makes me feel like im in school taking math towards the end. There is no randomnes except for not knowing what monsters you´ll face, but you kind of do. It´s a good game that most people like and I do to. For me it just struggles to live up to it´s hype ad feels kind of anticlimatic. I would like stronger solo scenarios.

kaziam wrote:
Mage Knight won't feel like a solo RPG. It will feel like a puzzle with a fantasy theme. Not that it's a bad game, but these are not the droids you are looking for.

These concerns are exactly why I havent gotten Mage Knight yet.

The combat system also seems sort of drab for solo play. It seems like I could just play my whole hand every battle and I wouldnt suffer for doing so. But its really hard to tell by just watching videos and reading explanations. Can a Mage Knight fan alleviate my fears?

EDIT: Ok, I get it. Theres a time limit of sorts and day/night cycles are triggered by running out of cards in your deck, so playing your whole hand every battle would make you run out of time.

Also:
kaziam wrote:

Do you have any recommendations?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TTorres
United States
Roseville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
These concerns are exactly why I havent gotten Mage Knight yet. The combat system also seems sort of drab for solo play. It seems like I could just play my whole hand every battle and I wouldnt suffer for doing so. But its really hard to tell by just watching videos and reading explanations. Can a Mage Knight fan alleviate my fears?

To be clear, Mage Knight is far and away my most enjoyable solo game. And to imagine you'd play your entire hand every battle is impossible. It is most definitely a puzzle to be solved through highly optimal play, but it's an incredibly tense experience. Whether playing solo or cooperative there's a dummy player that causes each subsequent day and night to end sooner than the last. There's often literally no time to waste. BTW, unsuccessful combat is a horrible thing in Mage Knight, even when not facing an enemy with special abilities like Paralyze.

Good luck finding an adventure game that's a great fit for you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven McBride
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
[q="Tonman"]
Quote:

Good luck finding an adventure game that's a great fit for you!

Thanks!

Mage Knight does seem like a good fit for me. I am very, very tempted. I just need to make sure as it is rather pricey and if I go for it, thats going to be the only board game I can afford to purchase for a good while.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chakroun Karim
France
Besancon
Franche-Comté
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
charlest wrote:
I'm a Mage Knight fan and it is probably the closest game to what you want (although Magic Realm may actually be closer), however, it does not offer linked play where you build off progression from previous games.

Magic Realm has development rules where you can start with 1/4th of your chits and gain new capacities fulfilling your victory requirement; Hamblen also published specific rules for an "extended development" game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven McBride
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly, Magic Realm sounds exactly like what I am looking for.

Unfortunately, I dont even know where to start. It seems like a long term DIY project? The entire game is available for PnP, right?

So maybe I should get Mage Knight so I can start playing asap while I work on making Magic Realm and Barbarian Prince.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Stutzmeister
msg tools
Runebound might scratch the epic itch. Expansions add more lands and quests. I think it plays better solo than multi-player
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Det var bara en hake...
Sweden
flag msg tools
Help, I'm being held prisoner in an overtext typing facility! I don't have much time, they could find out at any m
badge
I'm that weirdo whose number of badges sold prior to yesterday Bail Organa is keeping track of
mbmbmbmb
stemcider wrote:
Honestly, Magic Realm sounds exactly like what I am looking for.

Unfortunately, I dont even know where to start. It seems like a long term DIY project? The entire game is available for PnP, right?

It's also available as a free Java game, so you can try it out easily (if you make it through the rulebook etc.).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think Mage Knight will, for a long time, get a good price on the used market. It's not such a risky buy if you're not adverse to Craigslist or ebay. I sold my copy for 55 (including sleeved cards) and used the money to buy Agricola

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.