Todd
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First off I don't think it does.
I think its just one more path to victory, there are many ways to earn points in this game, but some may think its an unintended loophole so to speak, due to the fact that once discovered it stops a lot of people from buying income building on round 4.

As I have posted before, it seems to be better to buy houses and mountains in the last round than to buy income buildings, the the $ to points ratio is higher than even the $5 per point space and here is how it works.

Any house or mountain you buy (the parcel under it) will cost at most $9 but on average cost is $5, even at $9 it comes to 2 points for for $9 that is a $1 better than 2 for $10 and most of the time its 2 points for $5 when buying a house or mountain.
This is causing us to go for the mountains and houses every time in the fourth round.

We have almost stopped buying income buildings altogether in round 4, the income buildings plus the parcel may cost most of its profit due to the fact that is only pays out income for one round, this makes the houses and mountains a cheaper source for points, of course there are less mountains to buy with more players so this is reduced but with 2 or 3 players it is a big deal, I think it gives players another way to gain points in the last round rather than using the banker or yellow side sheriff.

So please tell me what you think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mesich
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Horta chortles.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that either you're not being wise about buying these things EARLY so that only you can profit from them or you're all building your own sub-divisions and not contesting these plots which means you should probably change up your strategy and/or play with the river so that's harder to do.

I will sometimes pick up a plot or two but since paying for plots comes before income, I've usually already maximized my dollars-to-points in the previous round especially when the Sherriff tends to claim the final $ to VP spot.

Now with the expansion though, people will likely be building high-density Carson City and flipping houses into townhomes which will leave even less of these available for grabbing at the end.

It's not broken, and it isn't cheaty. It's a valid end-game tactic. But it's something more experienced players may well nullify and in the games I've been playing it's knd of the desperation move and not the killing blow for the winner.

CC:G&G expansion game coming up at a Black Friday game party though! I'm excited!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Jorgensen
Denmark
flag msg tools
I agree, that buildings are not nearly as important in the last round, so buying houses/mountains can be a good strategy, if there are cheap spots available. Not so sure about the expensive ones, though maybe them too since that'll probably also hurt the income of the other players a bit (just make sure it matters to them - they might already be over their cash limit).

If you pick the grossier it might look a bit different, if one of "your" buildings come up, and you have room for the extra cash. A church might be handy to defend your area or a prison to help win those last VP duels (it uses up two cowboys so not a gain in firepower, but you get some points for cash while having the same for future duels - and the house might make it only a few $).

Also if you have room for the extra income, then you might want to use the cowboys for something else. Like picking duels with the leading player robing his buildings . If you can steal 10-12$ at a place, that gives you 2 points for a cowboy. Also you have not spend money to buy a plot so close to 3 points - and you have taken some from an opponent (again assuming you have room for the extra cash to buy points for, so mostly for characters 1-3 - and it is more of a risk in case he defends it).

It also depends on wheather or not you have unbuild plots left from previous rounds, as they give you no points if not build on (and then you would effectively have wasted a cowboy getting that land not to mention the $).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mmesich wrote:
I think that either you're not being wise about buying these things EARLY so that only you can profit from them or you're all building your own sub-divisions and not contesting these plots which means you should probably change up your strategy and/or play with the river so that's harder to do.

I will sometimes pick up a plot or two but since paying for plots comes before income, I've usually already maximized my dollars-to-points in the previous round especially when the Sherriff tends to claim the final $ to VP spot.

Now with the expansion though, people will likely be building high-density Carson City and flipping houses into townhomes which will leave even less of these available for grabbing at the end.

It's not broken, and it isn't cheaty. It's a valid end-game tactic. But it's something more experienced players may well nullify and in the games I've been playing it's knd of the desperation move and not the killing blow for the winner.

CC:G&G expansion game coming up at a Black Friday game party though! I'm excited!

I think that rounds 1-3 its better to buy income buildings than a house or mine, cutting someone out of a few dollars is not as good as getting an income building that will profit for a few rounds and pay out more money than you deny opponents, taking points is the same as getting points but I think you move farther ahead buy spending income than you do by dening income to others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.