Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Wood
United States
Grapevine
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dumb question after my first game of Twilight Struggle.

I know Influence in a normal round must be placed in countries adjacent to where you started with influence. Does this apply to the additional influence in the setup?

I'm pretty sure all the countries in east/West europe are adjacent to a country with influence regardless, but just trying to clear up questions I had from last game so i can teach this to family/friends.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Davis
United States
New Concord
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For setup, you can place anywhere in the appropriate part of Europe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Carroll
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
Soli Deo Gloria!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Taloncarde wrote:
I'm pretty sure all the countries in east/West europe are adjacent to a country with influence regardless

Actually, they aren't. This is one reason that putting an influence in Yugoslavia is a common USSR setup. Likewise the US doesn't start with influence adjacent to Italy, so that's a strong reason to put some starting influence there or in Austria.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wood
United States
Grapevine
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok thanks!. I didn't have the setup instructions in front of me when I posted so I was going off of one games memory.

Thanks again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One other question:

In the setup procedure, is it possible to place influence markers in countries in which your own superpower already has markers to bolster their influence, ie. Finland or Japan?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Tsui
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Mnemonaut wrote:
One other question:

In the setup procedure, is it possible to place influence markers in countries in which your own superpower already has markers to bolster their influence, ie. Finland or Japan?

For start up influences, you have to put them in Eastern Europe if you are USSR, or Western Europe if you are USA. Finland counts as both Eastern and Western, so both side can put influence there. However, Japan is in Asia, and thus neither side can put initial influence there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My fault. You're right. So putting influence in Finland, where the USSR is getting 1 setup influence marker anyway, is a legitimate move?! Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ioan Mitiu
Romania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sairanac wrote:
Finland counts as both Eastern and Western, so both side can put influence there.

That's true also for Austria.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evgeny Reznikov
Israel
Haifa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Mnemonaut wrote:
My fault. You're right. So putting influence in Finland, where the USSR is getting 1 setup influence marker anyway, is a legitimate move?! Thanks!

Yes, there is no restriction other than the total amount (6/7) and placement in Eastern/Western Europe respectively.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.