Subject: Doubling up? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aaron Bohm
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
I was wondering if anyone had tried purchasing two boxes with the intention of making higher point armies (or lower point armies with more multiples)?

It seems like the sweet spot of points for this game tends to be in the 80 point range and I'd like some opionions on whether or not army creation might be more interesting with a larger pool of troops to select from rather than the current setup of just figuring out which few to leave out each play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Husted
United States
East Hartford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that doubling up would help for making historical scenarios. The Romans frequently made great use of auxiliaries, sometimes comprising half of their total force. The game provides too few.

Personally, I would love to see terrain markers/tiles, elephants, fire rules, etc. But, the game is pretty fun just the way it is, too. No complaints...just excitement about a cool little game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Although I can see how it would allow a better customisation, I have to admit I'd be disappointed if two copies were necessary to fully enjoy the game.

As has already been stated in another thread, coming from a scenario/historical background point of view, the number of counters isn't that important, considering that a counter can represent a varying size of battle formation, without the immediate need of more counters to represent bigger units.

Just my 2

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chema
Spain
León
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, the reason to buy a second copy of each set is to play battles between two armies of the same faction:
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/727225/battles-between-two-a...

Although I haven't done it yet... zombie

By the way: would you mark one set to difference tiles from the other set? Just a black dot or cross would be enough, but I don't know if really want to have my sets permanently altered...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William McDuff
Canada
Prince Rupert
British Columbia
flag msg tools
"'A grey man,' she said. 'Neither white nor black, but partaking of both. Is that what you are, Ser Davos?' 'What if I am? It seems to me most men are grey.'" -- Lady Melisandre of Asshai and Ser Davos Seaworth from A Clash of Kings by G.R.R. Martin
badge
A small part of a 17,000 pushpin video game art project I was involved with.
mbmbmbmbmb
Somewhere, Paolo is reading this thread and thinking "How can I encourage people to buy two copies of all of my games without looking bad?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William McDuff
Canada
Prince Rupert
British Columbia
flag msg tools
"'A grey man,' she said. 'Neither white nor black, but partaking of both. Is that what you are, Ser Davos?' 'What if I am? It seems to me most men are grey.'" -- Lady Melisandre of Asshai and Ser Davos Seaworth from A Clash of Kings by G.R.R. Martin
badge
A small part of a 17,000 pushpin video game art project I was involved with.
mbmbmbmbmb
CATAFRACTO wrote:
By the way: would you mark one set to difference tiles from the other set? Just a black dot or cross would be enough, but I don't know if really want to have my sets permanently altered...

With two sets, you could just split them. Make pairs and put one in each pile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chema
Spain
León
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I know. The reason to mark one set would be to difference units from confronted armies (since I play solitaire, both armies have the same facing), as well as to avoid pairing tiles when finished.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.