Popular Tags: [View All]
Gabriel Kitterman
United States
Silverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is a 4 player variant. You would need two sets of Hive. One colored set and one Carbon set. That way you would have 4 armies that could be differentiated.

4 player Hive:
•If the player to your left loses, you get two victory points.
•If the 2nd player to the left loses, you get one victory point.
•When a player in eliminated, their insect tiles stay on the board
•If there is no legal space for you to place a new tile, you may place a tile in a location where it touches one other enemy tile.
•After 3 players have been eliminated the player with the most victory points wins
•If there is a tie, the player who had the last standing bee wins

I think this variant would keep the balance of the game reasonable. One opponent would really be after you, another would be semi-against you, and the third player would not want you to lose.

Now I just have to get a copy of Carbon to test out my idea.
What do you think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kris kline

Santa Barbara
California
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gabriel,

I have been preparing a document of variant games for Hive over the last several months but hadn't finished it since I hadn't play tested parts of it. Decided to upload it today rather than sit on it any longer. Once it is cleared by Admin take a gander and try some of them. I think you will enjoy the first one listed quite a bit once you buy Carbon.

The handicap you talk about on another post I had already included and it does indeed work very well. My son and I have played that way over the last year and find it works nice for a simple handicap to the better player.

Definitely get the Carbon and try the first game shown on my variant doc, which is a two player game with two sets of hive. My son and I played it a lot and it is quite fun, although a longer game. Never tried using a game with victory points. I'll give it a try next time we pull out Hive.

Having said that, my son and I are not hard core at winning Hive. We play for fun and I often coach him to better moves if needed. So some of my variants may not work for the folks who are Einstein level Euro gamers. Who knows what exploits they could find? :-) But for my family and the casual board gamers I interact with, these variants are quite fun!

Enjoy and let me know what you think...
-Kris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Kitterman
United States
Silverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll definitely check out your variants.

This is indeed a cool game to share with a child. It is so much quicker and more accessible than chess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.