Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems like you could use the terrain cards with any map.... Cool...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Thompson
United States
Marion
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eekamouse wrote:

Ah, but you can't use them, because you can't buy the map, because it isn't double-sided! CONUNDRUM!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eekamouse wrote:
Seems that way. Of course, no consideration is taken with game balance, but htat hasn't stopped some people from playing Europe without train stations, US with train stations, and passengers on non-Marklin maps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
eekamouse wrote:
Seems that way. Of course, no consideration is taken with game balance, but htat hasn't stopped some people from playing Europe without train stations, US with train stations, and passengers on non-Marklin maps.

Never let balance get in the way of experimentation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malcolm Howell
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eekamouse wrote:

You could, but my impression is that it might be harder to use them well.

On the Africa map, the route colours are grouped together so that the terrain card types correspond to areas of the board. If you know you're building routes across the north, say, you can collect the appropriate terrain. If someone else claims a route you wanted, there's a fair chance you can use an alternative of the same terrain type.

On other maps, the colours (and hence terrains) are scattered around essentially at random. If you've collected terrain for a particular route and someone else claims it first, it's less likely that you can use the terrain cards you've collected on nearby routes.

Basically the whole terrain areas theme breaks down and the cards become an unsatisfying, arbitrary route bonus. Which may work for you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven F.
Sweden
Västra Götaland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Nefrubyr wrote:
eekamouse wrote:

On the Africa map, the route colours are grouped together so that the terrain card types correspond to areas of the board.

On other maps, the colours (and hence terrains) are scattered around essentially at random. If you've collected terrain for a particular route and someone else claims it first, it's less likely that you can use the terrain cards you've collected on nearby routes.

And suddenly I get a whole lot of ideas for future map ideas of mine... Thanks a lot!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M V
Finland
flag msg tools
That would be nice to use all the rules in every board. I wonder how India-mandalas, terrain cards and stations all together would play in USA board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
If you were to do this, I believe it would make drawing tickets to be severely underpowered on most maps. The only reason why it's viable in Africa is because them ticket values are all higher than normal tickets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Apollo Andy
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Routes are also significantly shorter on the Africa map, with only one 6 length route which is a ferry and a handful of 5 lengths here and there. I can imagine on the USA map getting a doubled 6 isn't *that* hard and basically overshadows everything else anyone else is doing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Martin
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
ApolloAndy wrote:
Routes are also significantly shorter on the Africa map, with only one 6 length route which is a ferry and a handful of 5 lengths here and there. I can imagine on the USA map getting a doubled 6 isn't *that* hard and basically overshadows everything else anyone else is doing.

My wife and I actually tried this on the USA board (1910 Mega variant) the other day, since she likes the point-doubling mechanic in Africa but hates the Africa map. What we found is that since there are a TON of grey routes in USA, the black/white/grey terrain cards become disproportionately valuable, and building in the West is far more valuable than in the East, even if it's up near Winnipeg where not a lot of tickets go. Arguably that might draw more attention to an area of the board that people often avoid, so your mileage may vary.

First game, I had a lot of overlap around Duluth/Winnipeg going down the center of the board to Houston/Santa Fe/El Paso at the beginning, so I kept tickets I wouldn't normally keep, and I won by a landslide due to claiming a few of those 30-pointers. Second game, she was way ahead of me for most of it due to building a whole chain of long connections from Seattle straight across to Toronto, and even though I had awesome tickets, I couldn't catch up at the end.

Bottom line: Terrain cards are a fun variant for USA, but they may throw the game off-balance the game more than it already is, because they tend to devalue the tickets.

How would they work in other versions? I could imagine them being rather superfluous in India and Switzerland due to the high number of 1s and 2s on those boards, though India does have the 8-train ferry, and racking up 42 points in a single turn sure would be satisfying! It would probably work better in Europe or Asia. (Hmmm, what about those mountain routes? Do you also double the 2 points for the sacrificed train? Do you have to sacrifice ANOTHER TRAIN??!?! The mind, it boggles.)

chrome3d wrote:
That would be nice to use all the rules in every board. I wonder how India-mandalas, terrain cards and stations all together would play in USA board.

I've been wanting to create a big "remixed" version of TTR incorporating rules from as many versions as possible. We have a friend's Europa 1912 set lying around for a few more days that I forgot to return to her when I gave her back TTR Europe after borrowing it, so we tried using the depots and warehouses in the "USA with terrain" variant I described above. The rule was that when you drew train or terrain cards, you could place one of either in your warehouse. Early in the game I'd stick a few terrain cards in there from time to time just for kicks, which resulted in me having more of them than I could ever really use after caching in via the depots, though in a few cases it was effective to stop my wife from doubling routes. Toward the end of the game when we were getting sick of reshuffling the train deck and had no more plans to cash in our depots, we'd just dump terrain cards in there knowing they'd never get used. Probably should have tweaked the rule to say that the type of card you draw has to be the type of card that goes into the warehouse, and you can only choose which type when you draw one of each.

It would be funny to have train stations and warehouses and passengers and Alvin and Dexter on the board all at once, none of which could occupy the same city at the same time, just to make it freakin' impossible for someone to get into the city they wanted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
murlough23 wrote:
ApolloAndy wrote:

My wife and I actually tried this on the USA board (1910 Mega variant) the other day, since she likes the point-doubling mechanic in Africa but hates the Africa map.
If possible, I'd like to get her views on what she hates about the Africa map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Martin
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
ackmondual wrote:
If possible, I'd like to get her views on what she hates about the Africa map.

The fact that I always win, mostly. cool

Honestly, though, she seems to react that way to most new boards with radical rule changes and a bunch of cities she's unfamiliar with at first. She used to hate India; now it's the version she requests most often. She's just now getting to the point where she can beat me at India or Africa on more than just a fluke, but I still don't know if she feels confident enough to request Africa when given the choice of which board to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.