6 Posts

Spartacus: A Game of Blood & Treachery» Forums » General

Subject: 84 Piece 3D Colosseum rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
I wonder how big this thing is? It would be great if it had a big enough arena to put a hex grid and gladiators inside for this game.

Amazon link:

Colosseum 3D Puzzle

[EDIT] You Tube movie of one being assembled. My feeling is, for the price, it might be worth a go at modifying it to make the arena area bigger by leaving out the lowest level of seats. Or maybe just buy it for the "blueprint" and enlarge it using your own cardboard and inkjet.

Assembly (You Tube)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Here's another one, in paper this time.

Paper Colosseum, 1/500 scale

Now I just need to find the actual width of the arena at the Colosseum and divide by 500!

Got the dimensions: 272 x 157 ft, so at 1/500 scale the arena floor would be 6 inches by 4 inches, approximately.

Image:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Plei Forejoy
Singapore
flag msg tools
This space for rent!
badge
Painting all these miniatures is starting to crimp my time...
mbmbmbmbmb
I would prefer to build/sculpt my own. It would not be a faithful replica though; probably lower in height and wider so as to give a better viewing angle and not to restrict one's handling of his or her Gladiator.

The problem with a 3D arena would be storage. Hard to fit into the box and carry it to gaming nights... For the paper arenas, repeated set up and break downs would make it flimsier and flimsier; eventually breaking the pieces.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Jebbie wrote:
I would prefer to build/sculpt my own. It would not be a faithful replica though; probably lower in height and wider so as to give a better viewing angle and not to restrict one's handling of his or her Gladiator.

The problem with a 3D arena would be storage. Hard to fit into the box and carry it to gaming nights... For the paper arenas, repeated set up and break downs would make it flimsier and flimsier; eventually breaking the pieces.

I take your point but the first of the above is a cardboard snap-together puzzle which can be assembled and disassembled, so storage and transport should not be an issue - and it's also so cheap it would be useful as a kind of blueprint for when you come to design your own arena. The second one above is in quarters I think, allowing some to be removed to give a cut-away view, so that might solve the "viewing angle" problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
I've been thinking more about these models.

The second one is by a company called "Scholas". As discussed already, if it's to 1/500 scale like it says, then the arena floor should be about 6 inches long by 4 inches wide.

The "Spartacus: Blood and Treachery" game has an arena which is 9 hexes long by 7-8 wide (call it 7). Thus, if we superimposed a hex grid like that in the game onto the floor of this model, then going by the long axis, a hex would be 2/3 of an inch wide, or about 17mm.

For the figures that come with the game, that grid would be too small. The standard hex size for such figures is about an inch. However, there are smaller gladiator figures available, such as these by Museum Miniatures (click sample image to visit site):

I think they would quite happily fit in a hex grid the same as the one in the game, shrunk down to about 2/3 of an inch per hex. In other words, you could adapt the cardboard arena and use 15mm figures and play the game in full 3d.

Just a thought for anyone who'd like to try it!

One final caveat. 15mm scale figures are about 1/100 scale, so they would actually be 5 times too big for the model - but in theory you would still be just about able to play the game inside the cardboard arena, even if the figure scale was way out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
For anyone who is interested (not many by the looks of things!) I've ordered the following to see if I can adapt it for use in the game in place of the board (clicking image links to product page on amazon.co.uk):

I would make my own if I had to but would prefer to buy something I can adapt as it would be a hell of a lot easier!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.