United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I have Kindles. We love our Kindles and use them to download books from the library. Here's the problem. Not all books from the library are available for Kindle. A lot of them are e-pub books.

I have been thinking of getting my wife an Android tablet for Christmas. She likes to read and watch TV in bed before going to sleep and I think she would enjoy having something she can surf the internet with in bed via our wifi and if it could read the e-pub books it would be a win win. Here's the question or questions. Will an Android tablet have an app for these e-pub books? What's a good Android tablet to buy? I'd like one that has a bigger than 7 inch screen without going overboard on the price.

I put the problem to the chit chat hive mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, android has several e-readers. I have OverDrive Media, which is supposed to work with my library's ebooks, but the ebook selection sucks so I've never found one available that I wanted to try.

For the tab, have you tried reading on a 7" tab? It's great, I have a 10" and a 7" and I find the nexus 7 to be easier to read on because it's so much smaller and more convenient to hold. For watching videos or browsing the web, the 10" wins, but if it's books you want I'd stay small.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm thinking bigger than 7 because I like to surf the internet before bed and I'm thinking his and hers tablets might be a good thing for Christmas for us like we did with our Kindles last year. Right now I use my cell phone which has a few news and weather apps on it but you're talking about a small phone screen. I'd like something bigger (my eyes are pushing 50) where I can peruse Ebay, look at news and sports on. A few games would be fun as well. I played a few games on my smart phone but again the small screen isn't as much fun as a larger screen would be.

Thinking about it with the apps for news, sports and Ebay a 7 inch screen might work. In general you don't use a tablet like you do a personal computer. Your interface are your apps. Would be helpful as well for putting game rules on in PDF format.

Here's another question. How much memory will we need? Keep in mind we won't be downloading movies and TV shows on them or music. I'm seeing 8/16/32 gig tablets. I'm thinking 16 gigs but maybe 8 would be enough for our uses.

This is one tablet I'm looking at.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung+-+Galaxy+Tab+2+7.0+with+...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd get 16GB. That's big enough for 100 CDs, several movies, and a dozen or so apps. With 8 you're likely to run out if you make heavy use of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Nexus 7 keeps popping up. Every time I look at a tablet it seems to be compared to the Nexus 7. Sears has it for $200 which seems about the best deal (Not available through Amazon or Best Buy because Amazon and Best Buy are at war with Google). Has the 16 gig memory and a faster processor than the other ones I've looked at. I'll have to sacrifice my 9 inch screen that I wanted but otherwise it fits everything I am looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The neutral evil villain known as
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Ow quit it.
mbmbmbmbmb
I know it gets panned. but the kindlefire has been great for my wife and daughter. They are on theirs daily for the last year (I got them for christmas). They watch netflix, surf the web, read books, check email, play scrabble via wifi with each other, text for free, they love it. It does everything they need it to do. People get hung up on brands, and all, but we have been completely happy with ours.

You have a kindle already so you're familiar with them, the price is right at 150.00, and it runs on android. I wouldn't bother with the HD, it's plenty crisp to me, but the larger sized one would be better for magazines and such.

With everything in the cloud, the 8gig has been plenty. BUT, if I was to download a bunch onto it, then there might be issues. I have 16 on my ipod and have never run out. It's got more than 8 stored on it now in apps and such. Movies take a lot. But again, if you have netflix, you don't download, you just watch.
P

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Kindle Fire would be fine if my wife can get e-pub books from the library for it. That's something she can't do with her Kindle e-reader. The Kindle books and the other e-pub books are separate. So a book might be available as an e-pub but not as a Kindle book. I also don't know about the Kindle applications. For example is the BGG app available for Kindle Fire? I know about the apps for Android because our smart phones use Google Play.

It just seems to me that the Kindle Fire is more aimed at people who are Amazon prime members and for movies and multimedia content that my wife and I wouldn't use them for.

*edit*

Looking about it seems that you can get e-pub books to work on a Kindle Fire but it takes a 3rd party app to make it happen and my wife may not want to deal with that hassle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Adams
United States
Brigham City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mrbeankc wrote:
The Nexus 7 keeps popping up. Every time I look at a tablet it seems to be compared to the Nexus 7. Sears has it for $200 which seems about the best deal (Not available through Amazon or Best Buy because Amazon and Best Buy are at war with Google). Has the 16 gig memory and a faster processor than the other ones I've looked at. I'll have to sacrifice my 9 inch screen that I wanted but otherwise it fits everything I am looking for.

Then you could get a Nexus 10 and get a bigger screen.

If I were buying a tablet for myself for that at the moment, I would get the Nexus 7. I like the 7" screen. I have used my friend's and it's great. I just can't justify buying a new tablet when my old one works great.

My old one is a Nook Color (heavily modified). It is a 7" Android tablet. I have the Kindle App on it, the Nook App, and the Google Play Books app. I have read books on all of them, but I prefer the Nook app which uses the EPUB format. If I were buying a new one, I would go with the Nexus 7, install those apps and go to town. If I wanted a bigger screen, then the Nexus 10.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Ow quit it.
mbmbmbmbmb
mrbeankc wrote:
The Kindle Fire would be fine if my wife can get e-pub books from the library for it. That's something she can't do with her Kindle e-reader. The Kindle books and the other e-pub books are separate. So a book might be available as an e-pub but not as a Kindle book. I also don't know about the Kindle applications. For example is the BGG app available for Kindle Fire? I know about the apps for Android because our smart phones use Google Play.

It just seems to me that the Kindle Fire is more aimed at people who are Amazon prime members and for movies and multimedia content that my wife and I wouldn't use them for.

Looking about it seems that you can get e-pub books to work on a Kindle Fire but it takes a 3rd party app to make it happen and my wife may not want to deal with that hassle.

I'll bug around on my wife's tonight and see if the bgg app works and ask my wife about epub. You get amazon prime for a month free, then you never have to use it again. It uses android apps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Ow quit it.
mbmbmbmbmb
Apparently you can read epub with the overdrive app, which is what she uses to check out books.

I went to BGG site to download their app and found I could navigate it just fine, like it was without the app.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Decided after reading 145,972 reviews to go with the Nexus 7. The problem is finding one now! Every place locally I've looked doesn't have them and I'm even having trouble finding them online where they aren't charging a premium for them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why not just order it direct from the source?

https://play.google.com/store/devices/details?id=nexus_7_16g...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shipping and taxes add about $50 ordering directly from Google. It's my fall back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.