Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
monchi
Canada
Burnaby
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I won't get into the back story, but I am looking for the ultimate "pure" strategy game and no I am not talking about chess. I am pretty much ruling out all dice games as to me dice there is just too much luck involved.

Right now I would say that Cyclades is near the top of my list. The auction does leave a little bit of luck, but it is pretty close.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
There's a bunch of games with similar amounts of luck as Cyclades (you forgot about the creature cards too) and even less.

Puerto Rico
Luck: Seating/New settler tiles

Caylus
Luck: Seating/Initial Building order

Steam
Luck: Seating/Initial Goods placement

Chicago Express
Luck: Seating

1830: Railways & Robber Barons
Luck: Seating

Agricola(Family Game)
Luck: Seating/Round Card order (though that can be removed by having the round cards face up)

I read a really good article here sometime ago about luck and how there is a "good" kind of luck in games and a "bad" kind of luck in games. The gist of it is that good luck affects all players equally (like the initial goods cube placement in Steam) and bad luck is the kind of luck that benefits or harms a single player (like a die roll).

I tend to enjoy games with the good kind of luck but some games that use a "bad" luck mechanic can also be fun if there are enough opportunities for that luck to spread itself around evenly without over shadowing the strategic choices.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Mayer
United States
Teaneck
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Diplomacy
Stratego

Both have no luck involved at all.

What kind of strategy game are we talking about? There are plenty of abstracts out there that involve no luck.

But chess is pretty high up there in terms of pure strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Lindvall
United States
Bismarck
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you don't like luck, avoid Cyclades. The creature cards are massive luck. Whoever gets Pegasus tends to win. (cue Cyclades players who will no doubt tell me otherwise). Also, Cyclades has dice to determine battles, but superior numbers usually wins. Key word usually.

Terra Mystica Has almost no luck. Only randomness is initial start player, what bonus cards are in play, what faction you pick/draft/get, and the order of the scoring tiles. There are no random factors once the game begins. Initial placements on the map are done in a Catan style, but the relative positioning to the other players is all that matters. Z-Man is publishing it next spring.

Caylus and Agricola also get my recommendation. Some say Agricola is very luck based with the Occupation/Improvement cards, this can be mitigated by drafting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy the Hut
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Sit beside the breakfast table Think about your troubles Pour yourself a cup of tea Then think about the bubbles
mbmbmbmbmb
monchichi wrote:
I won't get into the back story, but I am looking for the ultimate "pure" strategy game and no I am not talking about chess. I am pretty much ruling out all dice games as to me dice there is just too much luck involved.

Right now I would say that Cyclades is near the top of my list. The auction does leave a little bit of luck, but it is pretty close.

Sounds like a good topic for a Geeklist, there likely is one on this if you search.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell/Karen Morse
United States
WOONSOCKET
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vinhos
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Navegador
Endeavor
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sechzger
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Haha.

I assume we will see 50% of the Top 200 mentioned here.

I add Go and Twilight Struggle.
Shall we just name Euros?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Nushmut
msg tools
Probably not a real option (or the best game), but the obscure 1991 game Field Command is a good example of a game with absolutely no luck or even asymmetry of any kind. The players even act together, eliminating the question of who gets/has to take the first turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Kazimierczak
United States
Falmouth
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fluxx. This is about as luckless as it gets. Unless you play Zombie Fluxx, then you add about 5% luck.

Or if you aren't very good at reading facial expressions, you could try Lyssan I guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
monchi
Canada
Burnaby
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I could put some filters on this. No card based games, so it needs a board. Map based games are preferred, so from that stand point area control is probably the best fit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Marshall
United States
Thousand Oaks
California
flag msg tools
We Are DEVO!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hansa Teutonica
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dr Mage wrote:

+1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff King
United States
Annandale
Virginia
flag msg tools
Napoleon's Triumph
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve S
United States
Roscoe
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll toss in another vote for 1830: Railways & Robber Barons and for that matter the 18xx series in general.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
monchichi wrote:
I won't get into the back story

OK, but what's the back story? Sore loser in your group who complains of too much luck in games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Off The Shelf Board Game Reviews
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dungeon Twister 2: Prison

Amazingly its not a Euro either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Tharp
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Hobby game designer, please print and play my games!
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say GOPS (Game of Pure Strategy) but it's played with just a deck of cards.

Belfort is area majority meets worker placement with very little luck involved. It's one of my favorites.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Venton wrote:

If going wargames, Strike of the Eagle. No dice, only randomness would be card draw but the cards give you four ways to play them so it's hard to be screwed by your draw.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Flood
United States
Richmond
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Non-abstract games with little or no luck
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
monchi
Canada
Burnaby
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CrankyPants wrote:
monchichi wrote:
I won't get into the back story

OK, but what's the back story? Sore loser in your group who complains of too much luck in games?

back story is a simple one. have a friend that believes Risk is more strategy than luck and feels nothing can beat it. I have major issues with this as the combat in Risk is all luck based. Tried a number of different games on him like Power Grid that I feel are more strategy based than Risk but have yet to find one that he thinks is better than Risk.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lukas Wernig
Austria
Villach
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Age of Empires III: The Age of Discovery
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lacreighton wrote:
Dr Mage wrote:

+1

+2
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kaziam wrote:
Fluxx. This is about as luckless as it gets. Unless you play Zombie Fluxx, then you add about 5% luck.

Or if you aren't very good at reading facial expressions, you could try Lyssan I guess.

Fluxx is luckless? I assume he's kidding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leonardo Martino
Italy
Milano
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Venton wrote:

Bonaparte at Marengo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.