Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game» Forums » General

Subject: Core set. How many asteroids? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Näslund
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
How many asteroids are you using with only core set or maybe 2 extra expansions? All 3 or maybe only 2? And do you feel like they add extra fun to the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Hughes
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've said it before, and still firmly believe that any miniatures game without terrain is just an exercise in dice rolling.

In X-Wing, there is the added dimension of maneuvering to get your target into your firing arc and range, but still - the asteroids add so much more with just a couple of simple rules.

The dogfight rules (aka tournament rules) from FFG use a mandatory 3 asteroids per player as part of the set-up, and I think this is a good baseline.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Weiss
United States
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
in a 100 point 3ft x 3ft game, more than 6 asteroids gets crazy crowded. If you are playing in a bigger area though, I highly suggest using more asteroids.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott M.
United States
Winter Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
we use 12 (2 core) asteroids in our 4x4 map with only 50 to 60 points.. keeps the maneuvering high and exciting as we are dodging roids and lasers.. oh my!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Hughes
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorite game thus far was a 200pt (2 players) vs 200pt (2 players) on a 3x3 table with 12 asteroids (each player placed 3).

It was a target-rich environment with lots of asteroid collisions - very cinematic and FUN!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
O B
United States
Mountainview
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I regularly play on a 4x3 field with 2 core sets worth of asteroids. 100 vs 100 to 200 vs 200 match ups.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Reil
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
redjack11 wrote:
I've said it before, and still firmly believe that any miniatures game without terrain is just an exercise in dice rolling.

Meh. This is true for many games, but it's far from a universal truth.

Naval miniature wargames don't always have terrain and there are plenty of those that rely on real strategy and tactics to win (just like the real thing that they're emulating).

Given that they're often based on real-world surface navies the same is often true of space combat naval games. I've played several of these where maneuver and positioning were incredibly important even with no terrain at all on the board.

Quote:
In X-Wing, there is the added dimension of maneuvering to get your target into your firing arc and range, but still - the asteroids add so much more with just a couple of simple rules.

While I agree that asteroids are a good addition to X-wing, I'm not sure how maneuvering is an "added dimension" to X-wing or is unique to this system. Many tactical miniatures games have limited ranges and firing arcs and require skilled maneuvering in order to succeed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.