Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Butterfield
United States
Jupiter
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going through Jerry's painting guide and I was hoping someone would clarify something about the Testors spray paint suggested: flat white, flat black, and clear flat lacquer. I assume these are also acrylic paints, just like the other paints, correct? Also, I assume they come in a spray can, so we're not talking about airbrushing. I'm looking on the Testors website and I'm having trouble finding sprays in something that is not enamel. There are no acrylic spray cans. Under lacquers, there are sprays, but nothing is flat. What am I missing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Melbourne
United States
Shoreline
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it is just calling out the spray primers, and spray sealer for when they are done. I haven't looked at the guide for a while.

Does the website list spray primers?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arjen Schouten
Netherlands
Veenendaal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I look at the Testors website I can also only find the flat types in tiny quantities (0.5 oz), so I assume they are for using in an airbrush.

That said, I suspect you need the white and black for primering the bare plastic and the clear as a final coat after you finished painting? Many American modelbuilders (plastic kits) use a brand called Duplicolor, which has good primer sprays. Also there's a brand named Krylon. Both are automotive products, so you'll have to look in automative shops. Mind you I never used them as I used to live in Europe where these brands are not available. But you might want to try them out. As for the final layer (clear) you can try Games Workshop clear spray. It's pretty good as far as I remember from the days when I used to paint Warhammer stuff. Don't use the automotive clear sprays. They provide good protectiong, but they are high gloss. Although you could cover them with a layer of flat clear afterwards.

As with all spray paints, don't spray too much! spray from a distance of about 30 cm, and make a quick sweeping motion along the miniatures. Remember that primer paint doesn't need to completely cover. Just a misting layer is usually enough for the next layer of paint to adhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Butterfield
United States
Jupiter
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It doesn't specifically list spray primers.

Unless someone has some specific suggestions for Testors products, I'll look into the Duplicolor spray.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Butterfield
United States
Jupiter
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another quick mini painting question that I'll try and sneak in this thread: how long should I let the paints dry between coats?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg R.
United States
Indian Trail
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do yourself a favor, buy quality spray primer. Citadel or Privateer Press make the best. Bad primer will kill the details.

Usually let dry for an hour or two between coats. At least two hours would be ideal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G K
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Mattel Electronics Presents
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mpb2000 wrote:
I'm going through Jerry's painting guide and I was hoping someone would clarify something about the Testors spray paint suggested: flat white, flat black, and clear flat lacquer. I assume these are also acrylic paints, just like the other paints, correct? Also, I assume they come in a spray can, so we're not talking about airbrushing. I'm looking on the Testors website and I'm having trouble finding sprays in something that is not enamel. There are no acrylic spray cans. Under lacquers, there are sprays, but nothing is flat. What am I missing?

Others have covered the primers well. For the protective spray coating you can use Testors dullcote or glosscote depending on the finish you want (probably dull for the rodents and spider, gloss for the bugs). Make sure everything is totally dry before you spray, at least overnight or maybe a day depending on your environment/weather.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G K
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Mattel Electronics Presents
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, you can use enamel on acrylic and vise versa if you let everything dry well. Usually not recommended, and most prefer just using acrylic, but there are some nice pearl and metallic enamels out there for certain touches and effects.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doc Hogan
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
speltor wrote:
mpb2000 wrote:

Others have covered the primers well. For the protective spray coating you can use Testors dullcote or glosscote depending on the finish you want (probably dull for the rodents and spider, gloss for the bugs). Make sure everything is totally dry before you spray, at least overnight or maybe a day depending on your environment/weather.

Use both.

First seal the finished model with Testors Glosscoat spray (which is not an acrylic, but is acrylic-safe). Testors Glosscoat gives a very, very hard shell which is extremely resistant to cracks, scratches, and chipping. Once dry, spray a coat of Dullcoat; this is only intended for killing the glossy, plasticy look of the Glosscoat.

Finally, use a brush-on acrylic gloss to add shine back to the appropriate areas such as eyes, mouth, and gums.

As far as the primers, Krylon or even 97-cent Walmart spray primers are fine,**as ong as they are only primers**. "Sandable" primers an filling primers have large body media intened to fill scratches and smooth surfaces for final painting, and *will* destroy detail on your mini. Citadel/Army Painter/etc primers are fantastic (due to incredibly fine pigment size), but cost as much as 18 times, ounce for ounce, as much as household primer. Household primers are absolutely fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arjen Schouten
Netherlands
Veenendaal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A little note on the primers: Of course it's best to use Citadel (Games Workshop) or other primers made especially for miniatures. But I used to use Motip as well, which is basically the same as Duplicolor but available in Europe. It preserves details just as well as the "special" miniature primers. And the automotive primers are slightly cheaper than the ones from Citadel (can't speak for Privateer).

I do advice against really cheap primers. So far I've found that those *do* obscure details. Mostly because they are difficult to control and usually ends up with you spraying too much primer on your mini, even when trying so hard to be careful. The pressure in the cans is higher or the paint is slower to dry or something, I don't know.

An other alternative is the Tamiya spray primers (use the normal one, not the fine because it's too smooth for brushing acrylics afterwards), they are really great... although for the price you might as well get a primer from Citadel.

I also think it depends on availability. When I lived in the Netherlands I could get my hands on many different kinds of primers (and other hobby products) so I could be picky especially about the price. Here in Brazil I still have to find a good spray primer. They don't sell any imported primers (like Citadel), and almost nobody paints miniatures (or modelkits) here it seems.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Tuijp
Netherlands
Volendam
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Personally, I am rather content with the Vallejo primers. They're quite affordable too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arjen Schouten
Netherlands
Veenendaal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Never tried those. Their paints (both their Game and Model ranges) are excellent though.cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L. Bogerly
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whatever you get, test it out first (maybe on bottoms of minis, or on other plastic toys, but note that different plastics have different properties). I wasn't happy with any of the primers I could easily pick up around me, so I simply skipped priming. Well, I actually primed with brush-on gray or white paint. You can test that out too with your paints, on the underside of the base, to see if the coverage and adhesion is good enough for you without a separate primer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Hope
New Zealand
Auckland
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mpb2000 wrote:

I use Citadel skull white and chaos black sprays for my priming, then vallejo paints for the actual painting, followed by a coat of vallejo wash and vallejo matte varnish. I'm all about the vallejo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.