Subject: Cheapest device for playing iOS games? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rana Puer
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not a computer person. The last electronic device I bought was a Dell desktop in 2009, and I have never owned an Apple product. I know just enough about iOS to know that it is easy to develop for, and that's why it gets all the good games while Android gets nothing.

I'm getting to the point in my life where I might have the money to make a significant technological purchase, but money is still a major factor for me. Thus, I'm looking for a way to play iOS games while spending as little money as possible.

Ideally, I would like to find a way to play iOS games on my still-working 2009 Dell Isperion, though I understand that Apple puts a ton of effort into making sure their stuff runs only on Apple products, so this probably won't be an option.

Barring that, what is the cheapest device that I could purchase in order to play most/all iOS games? Do I have to pay full price for an iPhone, or will the apps work on some of Apple's cheaper devices such as the iPod touch?

I started to do research on these topics, but realized that there were probably a ton of people on this board who knew everything about these issues and could give me more accurate information than anything I can find via Google, and possibly provide a solution I had not considered myself. Thanks in advance to anyone who helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Gnech
United States
Harrisburg
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have an ipod touch (3g I think) that works fine with a lot of the apps. I have the arkham toolkit, both TTRs, ascension, and nightfall on there.

I think a lot of the newer releases are just iphone/ipad only, but there's still older stuff that will work on the ipod touch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Wheelock
Canada
Woodstock
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
David Malki drew this!
mbmbmbmbmb
A lot of good games are iPad only. An old iPad might do you fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With the last two releases coming out so close together, a used iPad 2 should be an inexpensive option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E D
United States
wilton
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you go iPad, I really recommend saving for a few extra months if needed and go with an iPad 2 at minimum
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Lane
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
swheelock wrote:
A lot of good games are iPad only. An old iPad might do you fine.

iPod touch/iPad 1 will get you some, but with the ipad3/mini out you can probably get a good deal on an iPad2 (perhaps used/refurbished or on clearance). Look for the smaller 16GB models with wifi only (no 3g). I have yet to find anything not compatible with the iPad2, but there's some things that don't run well if at all on older iPad1s/ipod touch.

edit: ninja'd... twice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacovis
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Being cheap with a purchase like this might come back to bite you, at least imo. For example:

iPod touch 16GB - ~$200
iPad mini 16GB - ~$330
iPad 2 16gb - ~$400
"new" iPad 16GB - $500

The price jumps, considering the increase in what you get, are not all that significant (in terms of instead of getting the wrong device and needing another). Also, all of those are with only wireless, to add 3G you'll pay quite a bit more, plus the monthly fee for maintaining it.

Ultimately, I guess my point is that I'd shop more for which device best suits your needs than just try to go for the cheapest one. If the iPod screen ends up being too small for your tastes after you purchase it, you're going to be stuck with that purchase. I got my iPad 2 for less than $400, and I've used the snot out of the thing. For games, school, work, etc. It's been amazing, and I'm glad I didn't just "settle" for the iPod earlier just because of price. It's a fairly big investment, but one that should be made on your needs more than anything.

Anyway, that's just my advice, and the process I went through with my iPad purchase. Hope it helps in some way!

Cheers, and good luck!

Jacovis
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Alvaro
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EitherOrlok wrote:
With the last two releases coming out so close together, a used iPad 2 should be an inexpensive option.

This gets my vote, especially since the OP says "most/all iOS games". An iPhone or Touch will leave you out in the cold for iPad only games. But an iPad can still play iPhone games at 2x.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E D
United States
wilton
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out cowboom.com ( run by best buy) for refurbs. Got a iPad 2 that way. You could google for coupons or check deal sites for coupons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Henderson
msg tools
You can buy ipad its cheep and better also.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ice frost
Philippines
Cebu
Cebu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
if jailbroken then you can have 'em all

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter B
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jonetradaza wrote:

Please don't encourage people to steal games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Hood
United Kingdom
Coventry
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadges by request, geekmail me for details!
mb
Jacovis wrote:
Ultimately, I guess my point is that I'd shop more for which device best suits your needs than just try to go for the cheapest one. If the iPod screen ends up being too small for your tastes after you purchase it, you're going to be stuck with that purchase.

Well, the resale price on iOS devices tends to be higher than for most other prices, so not necessarily stuck with it, but I agree, the first step is working out which device will give you the best value. If possible, e.g. if you have a friend who owns one or live near a store with demo units, see if you can play a few games on one of the devices to see if it suits, then have a look what games are available, what devices they require, whether they would keep you happy for a while or whether you need some degree of future-proofing etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiger Wiccan
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
peterb12 wrote:
jonetradaza wrote:

Lots of people jailbreak but don't pirate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Wheelock
Canada
Woodstock
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
David Malki drew this!
mbmbmbmbmb
tigerwiccan wrote:
peterb12 wrote:

jonetradaza wrote:

I'm not sure what you thought jonetradaza meant by this, but it sure reads as "steal games lol" to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E D
United States
wilton
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tigerwiccan wrote:
peterb12 wrote:
jonetradaza wrote:

what does have 'em all mean?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiger Wiccan
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
unveilmyeyes wrote:
tigerwiccan wrote:
peterb12 wrote:
jonetradaza wrote:

what does have 'em all mean?

Good question. I assumed they were talking about being able to access purchased apps that aren't technically still supported or available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rana Puer
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hey all

when I made this topic about a year ago, I was just testing the waters, and didn't get good enough consensus/enthusiastic recommendation to take the plunge and buy one.

With CGE's recent unveiling of Galaxy Trucker for iOS as well as Iello's hints of King of Tokyo for iOS, I've decided to seriously look at buying an iOS device again.

Here are my main questions:
1. If I buy a product, how long can I expect it to last without breaking? If something I buy today is going to be dead/glitchy within two years, I don't want it.
1a. What experiences have everyone had with refurbished products? I'm interested in saving money, but not if it means buying a device that will break quicker.
2. I'm looking for a device that will play as many games as possible. This will be my video game system for the next 5 years; Is there a device that will be able to play pretty much any released iOS board game within the last five years, and will be able to play every released game for 5 years from now? I don't want to run into compatibility issues.
3. This is just a fun one: what board game have you spent the most time playing on your iOS devices?

Things I don't care about: Graphics, battery life, portability, how cool it looks, any apps other than iOS board games, ease of pirating/jailbreaking/modding (I don't do any of that stuff).

Right now I am looking at either a new ipad mini or a refurbished ipad 2.

Thanks in advance for everyone's help/advice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fin Hopkins
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What ever you do, don't pull the trigger until next Tuesday, when Apple is having an event to unveil new iPhones and likely iPads. Used iPads will probably drop in price as adopters unload their old ones, or you'll see something new worth getting.

Also, in my experience the iPad mini is the way to go. It's much cheaper and I think the portability is a huge win. It can play everything a full-sized iPad can.

A 5-year longevity may be optimistic. While the devices themselves are well-made, at some point they'll stop getting OS updates and at that point there's a risk that new games will require the new OS. First-gen iPad users got pretty burnt on this. 3 years is a pretty sure bet, and 4 is reasonable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Amala
United States
Dublin
California
flag msg tools
"Heke Heke": Hamsterish for "Huh?"
badge
paul@amala.us
mbmbmbmbmb
If you go over seas often, get one (even a old used iPad) with AT&T data. That way you can pick up a cheap (by American standards) chip and use it for data (i.e. e-mail etc.) I've done this in both England and Thailand and it works like a charm. In the states AT&T has monthly plans so that is the way I go when I'm traveling around the USA.

Note: don't download big stuff like movies or apps on the mobile data chip you got at that London shop - you'll burn through your plan very quickly!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Hayes
United States
Austin
NE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait a week and get a refurbished iPad from Apple. They're reasonably priced, carry the same 1 year warranty as new products and are eligible for Applecare which will give you a 3 year warranty. I think you may even be able to get Applecare+ on them which protects against the wetness and the accidental smashies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rana Puer
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you Pete, Paul, and...other Paul

I did not know about Apple's upcoming announcement. I'll definitely wait until after that.

I should also add Data to the list of things I don't care about. I'm super-cheap and use a dumbphone with no data plan, and it works well for me. I have zero interest in paying for a dataplan.

Another question: What is the difference between applecare and applecare+ and how much does each cost?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Amala
United States
Dublin
California
flag msg tools
"Heke Heke": Hamsterish for "Huh?"
badge
paul@amala.us
mbmbmbmbmb
ranapuer wrote:
Thank you Pete, Paul, and...other Paul

I should also add Data to the list of things I don't care about. I'm super-cheap and use a dumbphone with no data plan, and it works well for me. I have zero interest in paying for a dataplan.

Another question: What is the difference between applecare and applecare+ and how much does each cost?

As far a data plans go in the U.S. AT&T has monthly no-contract plans so you only buy time if you are going to us it. It is a bit pricy compared to other country's: I paid like $8 for a month in Thailand, and about $10 for a month in England. This was a couple years back - the prices might have changed. In neither country was not very easy to find Wi-Fi hot spots (least ways, where I was at). So don't discard a 3G/4G option from the get-go if you travel....

Personally I typically never 'buy' maintenance plans with my computers, cars, appliances etc. If they are going to break it will be in their warranty period. And when I've tried to use them, what broke wasn't covered under the plan. Of course if you get a used/refurbished iPad that wasn't covered by a warranty maybe the considerations are different?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hall
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you do get an iPad so you can play any game I would recommend getting a refurbished one from Apple. You can save a decent chunk of change on the device. Typically they are just replacing screens and re-selling them so they are pretty much as good as new. You can also save by having just Wifi and if you truly only want to play games you shouldn't need a ton of space and can get one of the smaller ones at 16gb.

I got a refurbished iPad retina and it has worked out great for me.

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/ipad

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sigismundoh wrote:
If you do get an iPad so you can play any game I would recommend getting a refurbished one from Apple. You can save a decent chunk of change on the device. Typically they are just replacing screens and re-selling them so they are pretty much as good as new.

Do they replace the battery?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.