Popular Tags: [View All]
Jacovis
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Almost to Canada and Australia. My personal interest in a match-up of FLA vs. Canada is nearly within my grasp. What are some of the interesting match-ups others are looking forward to?

Edit: wording.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Jacovis wrote:
Almost to Canada and Australia. My personal interest in a match-up of FLA vs. Canada is nearly within my grasp. What are some of the interesting match-ups others are looking forward to?

Edit: wording.

Actually, I am looking forward to Finland vs Soviet Union using the winter action deck. The new action decks really excite me as they will really push the system into new directions.

-Ski
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark J
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't think of a more boring scenario than one that involves the Canadians.. sorry for the offense but come on really? Hey I'm happy for all of you that are anxious to play the Canadians and the Australians but it's a yawner for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacovis
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DiploGuy wrote:
I can't think of a more boring scenario than one that involves the Canadians.. sorry for the offense but come on really? Hey I'm happy for all of you that are anxious to play the Canadians and the Australians but it's a yawner for me.

No offense taken. So, why don't you like playing your own country? ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Canadians a yawner? Wait until you see the cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Szarka
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
When it is your turn to send a VASSAL move, the wait is excruciating. When it's my turn, well, I've been busy.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ortona? Juno beach? Clearing the Scheldt? Caen? Dieppe? I don't know, seems like there's some fodder there.

But chest-pounding aside, I think they would be pretty similar to the Brits at this scale. And the Brits have always been a challenge to play in this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Banister
United States
Acworth
Georgia
flag msg tools
Teamski wrote:
Actually, I am looking forward to Finland vs Soviet Union using the winter action deck. The new action decks really excite me as they will really push the system into new directions.

The new terrain decks are simply awesome and really help you get into the environment even more. The art is coming along beautifully as well. I really think people are going to enjoy how each of the terrain decks play ever so differently (as different environments should). Yes, the Finns vs. the Soviets in the Winter deck will be a classic!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark J
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
toddbanister wrote:
Teamski wrote:

The new terrain decks are simply awesome and really help you get into the environment even more. The art is coming along beautifully as well. I really think people are going to enjoy how each of the terrain decks play ever so differently (as different environments should). Yes, the Finns vs. the Soviets in the Winter deck will be a classic!

Show us some more sneak peaks! Come on... why hold out on us?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Banister
United States
Acworth
Georgia
flag msg tools
DiploGuy wrote:

Show us some more sneak peaks! Come on... why hold out on us?

Honestly, we are just now getting some of the final artwork in - and it looks simply awesome! I think Rik will be posting a sneak peak here in the near future. So just hang on - its on its way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sweet! Looking forward to seeing what is on the horizon!

-Ski
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spyros Gkiouzepas
Greece
THESSALONIKI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I am looking forward to play Greeks against Germans and Italians. I don't understand if the "Free" Greeks refers to the resistance back home or the Army that fought on Alamein. Fighting German paratroops in the desert sound fun too.

I will support as soon as this gets to 100,000, wich I think is pretty close!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cartwright
United Kingdom
Spilsby
LINCS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking forward to Finland vs the Soviets but on a more controversial alternate universe note, how about USA vs Canada with the winter deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacovis
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rindel wrote:
I'm looking forward to Finland vs the Soviets but on a more controversial alternate universe note, how about USA vs Canada with the winter deck.

Ooooh, sounds interesting!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roar Stensrud
Norway
Tolvsroed
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Non-historical match-ups can be cool.

If things had gotten really out of hand in 1946, you could put the Soviets up against just about everyone.

R.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Jacovis wrote:
Rindel wrote:

Ooooh, sounds interesting!

We've already seen that one. It is called the 2010 Winter Olympics ice hockey gold medal round. Unfortunately, Canada won....soblue

-Ski
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KRAMPUS
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stroar wrote:
Non-historical match-ups can be cool.

If things had gotten really out of hand in 1946, you could put the Soviets up against just about everyone.

R.

Combined German/US against Soviets: The Patton Plan.

Historical:
Soviets vs. Japanese: The Soviet-Japanese Border Wars of 1939 and 1945

Finland vs. Japan using the Jungle Deck: just for the heck of it. I don't think the Finish Ski Troops will do well in this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

What about a CanAm border dispute?

Japan fighting Norway in the desert?

Alternate historical Hundred Years War British vs. French?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Szarka
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
When it is your turn to send a VASSAL move, the wait is excruciating. When it's my turn, well, I've been busy.
mbmbmbmbmb
andreww wrote:

What about a CanAm border dispute?

War Plan: Crimson

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dorosh
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Tactical Wargamer's Journal
mbmbmbmbmb
mcszarka wrote:
Ortona? Juno beach? Clearing the Scheldt? Caen? Dieppe? I don't know, seems like there's some fodder there.

Sounds like they would make for great TCS modules.

Not seeing the relevance to Up Front, though if you have some ideas on rules specific to those battles, they would be of interest.

I suppose you can make a case for unique Up Front scenarios based on terrain in at least one instance - the "Water Rats" of the 3rd Canadian Division became famous for fighting in flooded country in the Scheldt, the Rhineland, and in the boggy country near the Küsten Canal if I recall correctly. Declaring buildings and Woods to be Stream Cards might make for some interesting play. If one reads Charles Martin's autobiography, he talks about fighting in the polder country to be a "section (squad) job" - i.e. one infantry squad at a time, walking on the dyke-tops, everything else below water, and you tried to get 500 yards down the dyke until you could take out a machine gun in a house, and if you were lucky, a tank might squeeze onto a muddy track and follow along with you. Kind of sounds perfect for Up Front, really. And in a way, unique to if not the Canadians, then certainly 1st Canadian Army (which included British and American divisions).

Putting that aside, Canada did occupy a unique position, in that it drew much of its organizational structure from the British, and relied on reports from British operations to guide its own training during the long wait for action in Italy and NW Europe. However, the War Establishment of an infantry company developed (semi-)independently and there were some differences between the two nations. Some would have had only a minor, or perhaps no effect, on tactics - use of the Browning 9mm hand-gun, for example, by Canada beginning in the autumn of 1944 is one example that comes most readily to mind.

I think if one digs, one can find other examples that may be cosmetic, or perhaps more effects-based, such as the tendency of Canadian armoured units to pile spare track and road wheels on their Sherman tanks as "supplemental armour" by the autumn of 1944, a practice that other western Allies seemed not to do with as much relish (and if memory serves, may have even been outright banned in the 3d U.S. Army - I stand to be corrected on that point). Again, the actual effects in game terms are open to debate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dustin boggs
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
these are my overtexts and
badge
now I am without geek gold :(
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael Dorosh wrote:
use of the Browning 9mm hand-gun, for example, by Canada

Which still to this day is in operation, seeing action (however poorly) by myself this summer at nationals.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.