Carl Garber
Canada
Vauxhall
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Simple question, here's the poll:

Poll
Would you consider this game a Euro game?
  Yes No It's a Hybrid that is mainly Euro It's a Hybrid that is NOT mainly Euro It's a 50/50 Hybrid of Euro and something else I have no idea
Seasons
Terra Mystica
CO2
Archipelago
      110 answers
Poll created by CarlG

If you would like to expand on your choice please comment below
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Scatliff
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
It's about time, too.
badge
I hate overtext but love irony.
mbmbmbmbmb
This is becoming quite an obsession for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Garber
Canada
Vauxhall
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
haha, true story!

I'm still putting together that Top 100 Euro geeklist and these are some of the games I think have a chance to make it on there that I am unsure of. I've decided that instead of just being a stats thing, I would also make it useful to newbies to this hobby that are drawn to Eurogames, so I have also included an image of the game in play along with a link to a pictorial review as well. I think I will also include game weights so that fans of varying weights of Eurogames can focus in on their specific tastes.

I also think the stats will be useful for people to see which Eurogames have replayability as well. At the bottom of each item I will have a 2013 YTD stats line so people can see if the game is climbing, steady, or dropping like a rock.

Anyways, hopefully some people will find the list helpful. If not, at least I will have a better idea of what is out there that I might ve interested in.

PS- is it just me or is 2012 a down year for Eurogames? So far I think there is only Lords of Waterdeep, Tzolkin, and Terra Mystica that will hit the BGG Top 100.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Gibbons
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
mb
CarlG wrote:
Anyways, hopefully some people will find the list helpful. If not, at least I will have a better idea of what is out there that I might ve interested in.

I personally have found it interesting to follow. I like to see how people's opinions of games differ (eg Dominion). In fact, I sent your version 2 list to my mother as a rough Christmas gift guide.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stijn
Belgium
Antwerpen
Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't consider Seasons a eurogame, I can understand classifying it as a hybrid though. I haven't played the others yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Garber
Canada
Vauxhall
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cole: I'm glad you have found it useful already It's taking longer than I thought it would so those are encouraging words to hear! Right now I have worked through the first 30 items adding images and review links. It is interesting that for some of those games in the BGG top 50 there really aren't good comprehensive pictorial reviews! One of the games didn't even have any pictorial reviews! Anyways, the proccess is going quicker and I should be able to get it done by Jan 1. Also, I think I have settled on the format for the stats as well as what and how I will present monthly data. Keep an eye out for it on Jan 1(ish)! I will also throw in a comment and link in the last geeklist if you have subscribed to that last one.

Happy Gaming!

PS- for monthly data I have settled on doing a "Top 5" and "Bottom 5" for Euro rank movement and geek rating movement. As well as a "Top game" and "Bottom Game" for the last 5 years in those two categories as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have never played Seasons, but the other three are most certainly euro titles. I wouldn't even say they were close to being hybrids, especially Terra Mystica and CO2. All three of these exemplify the core tenant of euroism: games whose main attraction are tightly interlocking mechanisms which seem to have been designed before the theme was applied.

I'm curious, what elements of their design gave you pause of their euro-nature? How do you define euroness?

p.s. Bumped for both my curiosity, and my love of data. I'd love to see his poll rounded out with even more participants.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Garber
Canada
Vauxhall
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well if you love data then definitely check out my geeklist!

The Top 100 Euro Games (Images, Pictorial Review Links, Stats, and More!)

Nothing gave me pause really, I just put out the poll for thourougness. Whenever a game enters the range where it could make the Top 100 Eurogame I throw out a poll like this. If it is obviously NOT Euro most of the time I won't bother but for anything I plan to add to the list I ask about(even if it is ridiculously obvious that they are Euros).

I am surprised at the results at times. For example, there is a sizeable chunk of people that do no feel deckbuilding belongs to Eurogames(myself being one of them). From the polls Dominion did not make the cut, nor the more recent trains. Also big Civ games don't seem to make it either, although(possibly due to small sample size) currently the new nations is slated to make the cut.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You honestly needed to poll Terra Mystica?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B.
United States
Groton
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played Seasons but other than it having wooden cubes for score keeping it doesn't feel like a euro at all. It feels more like an elaborate Magic the Gathering variant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
r0t1 prata
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say Seasons is like 7 Wonders + Stone Age.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Smith
United States
Seattle
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seasons doesn't feel like a euro game at all to me.

Terra Mystica and CO2 are obviously euros.

Archipelago has euro mechanics but the co-op element is extremely strong - significantly more so than in fellow "semi-competitive" game CO2 - so I voted 50/50 hybrid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bartosh

Sunnyvale
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Terra Mystica is 100% Euro. Like, no question.

Archipelago uses Euro elements, but plays them against a very heavy backdrop of diplomacy, cooperation, and backstabbing. It is very clearly a hybrid and favors non-Euro elements, IMO.

Seasons is a fairly aggressive drafting game with a healthy smattering of luck and control, and I feel it doesn't really fall under the umbrella of Euro at all.

Never played CO2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.