R Moore
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
This user loves Easter eggs.
mbmbmbmbmb
I drove to Utica, MI today to visit a new game store called "Pop! Caffeine, Comics and Gaming". It was a great experience.

http://www.facebook.com/popgaming

They started thier black Friday 40% everything deal today which is what got me in.

First impressions of "Pop!" were that the shop was small, open and friendly. It was very clean. I saw I think 2 (or 3) gaming tables, set up for miniature war gaming. A couch / TV lounge area and a pop-bar/counter.

There was 2 bookshelves dedicated to RPG games. Mainly Paladium games like Rifts and Robotech. I saw a bunch of Pathfinder as well. One shelf had Board games, Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition),Fleet, Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game, Lords of Waterdeep and a bunch of Dungeon crawling themed box games.

Another shelf had all your Magic: The Gathering and yet another had a bunch of Warhammer type stuff.

There were a few shelves dedicated to comics and comic related toys as well.

Also a few video game systems were set up. I think I saw an XBOX 360 and classic atari.

I met with the owner, Josh who was very passionate about his business and was very eager to make sure I found everything I needed. I loved the family-friendly vibe of the place in general. Turns out I actually know the other manager, Matt who has been a GM for various games for decades. Very creative and knowledgable guy.

I asked him what his bread and butter were and it seems that like many stores, MTG & Warhammer seem to do a large ammount of the trade, with beverages (normal refreshments but then also butter-beer and "zombie blood", y'know.. for the kids! ) and boardgames pulling wieght as well. My only gripe about the store was that there wasn't as much of a selection of board games as I would like but before I even had the chance to inquire Josh let me know all about his current plans to expand the board game section of his store. It seems that he was suprised certain games were flying off the shelves quicker than he could stock them. A good problem to be sure and hopefully a happy predictor of a satisfied customer base.

My thoughts were that as long as these folks keep running their store in such a friendly and accessable manner, they would continue to have my business and that of many other happy customers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Which part of Michigan? We're moving there sometime in the (hopefully) near future - Grand Rapids
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy
Canada
Stratford
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Orangemoose wrote:
Which part of Michigan? We're moving there sometime in the (hopefully) near future - Grand Rapids

He mentioned Utica in the first sentence. North end of Detroit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R Moore
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
This user loves Easter eggs.
mbmbmbmbmb
Orangemoose wrote:

Ohh! Michigan gets the Moose!

Unfortunately I know next to nothing about West side stores.

Utica is South East, just north of Detroit, three hours from the GR area.

But check this out:
http://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Grand_Rapids_Area_Boardga...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oliphant wrote:
Orangemoose wrote:

Ohh! Michigan gets the Moose!

Unfortunately I know next to nothing about West side stores.

Utica is South East, just north of Detroit, three hours from the GR area.

But check this out:
http://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Grand_Rapids_Area_Boardga...

Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg r
United States
TROY
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I met the owner soon after he opened his doors, he definitely has a passion for what he is doing. He is also a really friendly guy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.