Joshua Fisk

Texas
msg tools
A few weeks ago I started a board game collection with my wife for her birthday. We got Pandemic, Carcassone, Ticket to Ride and Lost Cities. So far my wife and I have loved each one of these and can't wait to wear them all out.

However, I am also looking for our next step game and would like a longer strategy game with more depth of play. The exact elements of the game don't really matter whether it be civilization building or economic or whatever. It also doesn't matter how difficult it is since my wife and I are both pretty smart cookies.

This is my list at the moment and I would like to whittle it down to only 1 or 2:

Agricola
Tigris & Euphrates
Dominant Species
Stone Age

The most important thing for us is that it has to be a great game with only two players, since this is how we will be playing it 95% of the time. Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Garber
Canada
Vauxhall
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of these things is not like the others.....

Stone Age is a step up from TTR and Carc(not sure if it is a step up from Pandemic), but it is waaaay easier than the other three listed(imho). Stone Age does play well with 2 players though and I very much enjoy it. I haven't played Dominant Species at all, and Agricola I only played once(but it was 2p and it seemed to work well), but I think T&E is better with more players.

You should also take a look at Castles of Burgundy as a good two player game.

Happy Gaming!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Saddleback, covered by a blanket of winter snow
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
What you're playing now are pretty light games. One of the most noted heavier games that works well with two is Goa; it may be too big a step, but you might want to check it out. I'd definitely recommend Saint Petersburg; just be aware that it's a game you can crash & burn in if you spend too much money (shouldn't be an issue if you learn together).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that you should be looking at
Polis: Fight for the Hegemony
and
Antike Duellum

which are games that are designed for 2 people.

Stone Age is really light. Dominant Species isn't light, but I have no idea how well it plays with 2 people. I expect poorly. Tigris and Euphrates I don't know. Agricola plays fine with 2, so its very much a matter of will I like the game at all, rather than will I like it with 2 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
juan c marquez
Mexico
ZAPOPAN
JALISCO
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
fisk42 wrote:
A few weeks ago I started a board game collection with my wife for her birthday. We got Pandemic, Carcassone, Ticket to Ride and Lost Cities. So far my wife and I have loved each one of these and can't wait to wear them all out.

However, I am also looking for our next step game and would like a longer strategy game with more depth of play. The exact elements of the game don't really matter whether it be civilization building or economic or whatever. It also doesn't matter how difficult it is since my wife and I are both pretty smart cookies.

This is my list at the moment and I would like to whittle it down to only 1 or 2:

Agricola
Tigris & Euphrates
Dominant Species
Stone Age

The most important thing for us is that it has to be a great game with only two players, since this is how we will be playing it 95% of the time. Thank you!

Have not played Dominant Species, but from what I have read in the forums it doesnt play well 2p(That is why I didnt buy as I play with my wife 95% of time). Stone age is a step up from games you have and it playes well 2p, Agricola is rated #2 for a reason and it plays well with all player counts (and it has family version which helps you introduce game slowly and gradually increase complexity), Tigris and Euphrates have not played yet, but forums seem to think it plays well with 2p. The downside of Tigris and Euphrates (at least for me and many other people) it that this is 100% abstract in theme(pasted) and in mechanics (chess like virtually no luck)so I decided against this as my wife likes games that are not 100%skill(must have some luck at least) and no theme.

I would buy Agricola or stone Age (Probably Agricola as it has more replayability and there is more theme to the game).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathleen Nugent
United States
Tamworth
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are some 2-player only games that don't take much time. I like them better than Lost Cities: Roma, Aton, Battle Line, and The Rivals for Catan (this one takes at least an hour).

Look at the games designed by Stefan Feld. My friend and I play all of these 2-player, though they accommodate more. My favorites are Macao and The Castles of Burgundy, but there's nothing wrong with his other games either. They each take about an hour to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stone Age is a tad light and Tigris and Euphrates does not work well with 2. I echo the sentiment that The Castles of Burgundy and Goa are fantastic with 2 players. Definitely check out both of those.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leonard Moses II
United States
Hixson
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 The Castles of Burgundy. I would not often choose to play Stone Age or Glen More over Castles of Burgundy. It is 3.1 yet intuitive and the easiest game of that rating I think you'll play.

Notre Dame was fun for two. 2.8

I wonder how Luna is?

Race for the Galaxy is nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Fisk

Texas
msg tools
I'm sorry for not having specified more. To me games designed for only two players (like twilight struggle and a few ares of snow) are a different category. Since those are designed for two players I don't need help determining if they are fun to play for only two players. We're looking to get a broad range of games and the games I listed fit the profile of one of the next games I'd like to get, while not filling the same niche as something like Twilight Struggle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny VenOsdel
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
T&E with 2 is not as competitive on the base map but there is a 2-player PnP map for 2 that has good feedback.

Check out Le Havre and At the Gates of Loyang. Both are excellent with 2. Also Homesteaders is one of my favorites and plays great with 2, 3, or 4.

FWIW I find Stone Age with 2 to be rather boring. It is a good intro to worker placement/allocation games but it has nowhere near the depth of games like Agricola or T&E.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For 'games that play well with 2 but also play well with more' I would go with:

Alien Frontiers
Navegador
Seasons
Innovation

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Fisk

Texas
msg tools
Ok. So in the next few months I will probably be getting two of the four (based on feedback):

Agricola or The Castles of Burgundy
Twilight Struggle or A Few Acres Of Snow

Any thoughts on this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Baricz
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
You should go with the Castles of Burgundy, and Twilight Struggle! My girlfriend loves those two and they work fine with two.Agricola is a fun game as well and I own it, however it hardly gets played.

While A Few Acres of Snow is not so good, at least in my opinion anyways.You should check out London, it plays well with two and is made by the same designer.Also Age of Industry works with two and is a great game, while Brass is even better.I hear there is a 2 player variant?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some people--I'm one--really dislike Agricola since, in the advanced versions of the game, you start with random cards that can largely determine your fate. To be sure, many, many house rules have been developed to cope with that problem. I also somewhat dislike it because I feel I'm fighting the game all the time, and not in a good way. I would definitely go with Burgundy.

However, a very good idea, since you live in a metropolis, is to go try the games in a local gaming group.

Another game you might consider is Vinhos. The users here recommend it with two, but I haven't played it enough to personally recommend it.

Ora et Labora is made by the same designer as 'Gric and Le Havre. I don't love it, but I like it a lot more than the other two.

Caylus, I would definitely recommend with two. It's easy to understand how to play, but difficult to play well. It's a little dry....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fedor Ilitchev
Canada
Ottawa
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about the #1 rated game on the geek - I'm sure you know what it is.

That's just the obvious recommendation.

Personally, though, I have many other favourites. They are

Tzaar, Battleline, Hive, Commands and Colors: Ancients and Summoner Wars.

All of these are great two player games with fantastic depth and all are stupendous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
acrah wrote:
How about the #1 rated game on the geek - I'm sure you know what it is.

That's just the obvious recommendation.

Personally, though, I have many other favourites. They are

Tzaar, Battleline, Hive, Commands and Colors: Ancients and Summoner Wars.

All of these are great two player games with fantastic depth and all are stupendous.

The problem is that he doesn't want 2p only games. He wants games that play with more and are also good with 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reuben
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out:

Caylus
Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small (the 2-player only version)
Dominion
Jaipur
Pillars of the Earth
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Flood
United States
Richmond
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
fisk42 wrote:
Ok. So in the next few months I will probably be getting two of the four (based on feedback):

Agricola or The Castles of Burgundy
Twilight Struggle or A Few Acres Of Snow

Any thoughts on this?

I'm going to have to agree with the BGG rankings on this one:

Agricola >> Castles of Burgundy
Twilight Struggle > A Few Acres of Snow

Agricola and Twilight Struggle are new classics that you should at least try and could very well like. The other two are the "new hotnesses" of the past couple years that are of course very popular among BBGers, but are not the transcendent games the other two are.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justus
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Of the games I have, I think Caylus and In The Year of the Dragon are good....but the latter game has a love/hate crowd.

Also a plug for Aton, but that's a shorter game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
τὰ ὄντα ἰέναι τε πάντα καὶ μένειν οὐδέν
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones, you could do worse than the new non-LCG HBO version of the FFG card game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aaarg_ink wrote:
Of the games I have, I think Caylus and In The Year of the Dragon are good....but the latter game has a love/hate crowd.

Truly, about YotD: If I win, I feel like the best loser. YMMV!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sechzger
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MY GF is my main gaming partner.
So far we played Puerto Rico a lot, which is very good with the 2p variant.
Goa is very good aswell.
TS is awesome, but talk with her about the theme before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sechzger
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tigris with just two is too much "in your face" sometimes for her.
Hanabi and Battle Line might be shorter options. Hanabi being way better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norberto Leiva
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd rate next multiplayer medium/medium heavy euros according to my experience with 2 players (bad, ok, good, very good, great):

Agricola: Very Good (could be great with some unofficial variant to balance wood denyal play and make stone available earlier)
P.Rico: Ok (with some unofficial variant maybe good)
Caylus: Good (maybe very good with some changes to the king´s favour track)
Tigris & Euphrates: Good/Very Good (with some proposed 2er variants)
Goa: Good/Very Good (I'm not sure with only 2 games played with 2)
Stone Age: Good
Race for the Galaxy: Great (Although I don´t love theme and icons)
Glory to Rome: Very Good (with republican rules and 3 sites/ color)
In the Year of the Dragon: Ok/good (a few plays, not sure)
Hawaii: Great
Trajan: Very good (although I'm enjoying more every time I play it with 2, could be great with some variant)
The Speicherstadt: Bad
Village: Very good/great (not played with more than 2 to compare)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Deignan
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fisk42 wrote:

Agricola
Tigris & Euphrates
Dominant Species
Stone Age

I've played all the titles you mentioned. I'll refrain from talking about Agricola because I'm one of the minority here on the geek that just hate it. But I will caution that some people just can't stand the theme. Perhaps try that one out before buying.

Dominant Species is one of my 3 or 4 favorite games, but it simply does not play well with 2. It's a four player + game so unless you want to each play two species, that has to come off the list in my opinion. From what I've read, T&E probably falls into this category too, although I don't like the game much so I can't say for sure that it's bad 2p.

Stone Age, as mentioned above, is probably too light for what you're seeking.

If theme is not terribly important, you might want to consider Trajan which I think plays pretty well in a 2p environment. Most of the Feld games scale fairly well. Another possibility would be Macao which is more of an engine building game.

On the subject of the 2p only games question asked later, Twilight Struggle is brilliant. I've never played A Few Acres of Snow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.