Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Trisha Lantznester
United States
San Jose
CA
flag msg tools
Hi Everyone,

We here at Goko are doing a survey on future releases for Dominion. We'd love the feedback from the community. You can find the survey here: http://freeonlinesurveys.com/s.asp?sid=fso5hj1nmo6o9ty144615

If you have questions about this survey or other Goko questions you can email us at help@goko.com or go to our help Forums at https://getsatisfaction.com/goko

I probably won't have time to check this forum until after the holidays so please have patience with us if we don't get back to you right away. Have a really happy Thanksgiving everyone! :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, it is not hard to predict what the responses will say.

I found the "what would I pay for" question very odd. I would not pay for asynch, for example, I just would not bother with the implementation without it. If the implication is supposed to be that all those features would be extras that cost money, then there is no chance of me playing this version.

Which is a great shame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I like elephants. I like how they swing through trees.
mbmbmbmbmb
Good thing they're doing this now instead of a year ago.

If they add offline capability, I will gladly pay even a seemingly high amount for everything. Until then, not a penny.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1603-1714
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Now I can add text to my avatar? Sweet! How do I do it?
mbmbmbmbmb
Grudunza wrote:
If they add offline capability, I will gladly pay even a seemingly high amount for everything. Until then, not a penny.

I couldn't agree more. In fact, I'm not even wasting my time playing it anymore. I'd buy an iOS app in a heartbeat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Judd
United States
Wright City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Why was this clip the first thing that popped into my head when I saw this thread?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Grudunza wrote:
Good thing they're doing this now instead of a year ago. :p

I'd give them $5 to give all their licences back and get out of the game industry. Failing that, I can't see a world where I'd want to give money to people who are simply try to fleece the vulnerable by buliding in simple psychological addiction tricks to paywalled games.

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hobie
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
So...why do they have these overtext things anyway?
badge
This is what I really look like. Really. Actually, it was clip art borrowed from the internet
mbmbmbmbmb
Just played the unofficial & free version on my iPad...against the AI, offline. It's what works for me and my life situation right now.

If the final product has no solo/offline play, it's a non-starter for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno
United States
Farmingdale
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thepackrat wrote:
Grudunza wrote:
Good thing they're doing this now instead of a year ago.

I'd give them $5 to give all their licences back and get out of the game industry. Failing that, I can't see a world where I'd want to give money to people who are simply try to fleece the vulnerable by buliding in simple psychological addiction tricks to paywalled games.

B>

That's an idea !!

Hmmm, wonder if we could start a kickstarter campaign to raise funds and buy back all these licenses from goko ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Daley
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Question 4 would be funny if they weren't serious :

Have your ever purchased an online or mobile game or purchased a premium item in an online or mobile game?

It's like me asking Trish this "Have you ever loved a man or loved a donkey, please answer yes or no".

Well? Have you???
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The question is a crude attempt to ask "are you part of the population who can and will spend money on mobile stuff". Of course I am, I've bought lots of inetresting iOS games. I'm not giving goko any money, though, any more than I'd suddenly see a zynga or playdom paywall screen, complete with big-eyed female cartoons and think "you know what? I totally want to give my money to these predators-on-the-weak".

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Wertz
United States
Souderton
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
beardandglasses wrote:
Just played the unofficial & free version on my iPad...against the AI, offline. It's what works for me and my life situation right now.

How's it feel to be such an outlaw? Remember you're playing an illegal version of the game...at least, according to goko you are.

Hahaha. I played the original free version today, too. Whereas I haven't logged into Goko in quite some time, guess I'll be spending time in Goko-jail, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Lane
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
you know, it's not even whether or not I will pay for it. Yes, I will. But it has to be a good implementation, and the price has to be sane. Their pricing before was RIDICULOUS. I'd pay up to 10 bucks all-in. That means async, that means (offline) AI, that means MP matchmaking, that means expansions. Break it up into IAP however you want, but if I can't get all that for 10 bucks or less I won't waste my time. This isn't a replacement for my Dominion collection, it's a way for me to play occasionally when I'm in transit/at the cabin or lying in bed before I go to sleep or maybe playing a game with a friend who's out of town or too busy to squeeze a gaming session in with.

I'm not paying 12 bucks per expansion, I don't want to faff about with goko coins, I don't want some online-only crippled version. While I have a facebook account, I'd rather not have to use it to play.

At this point, Goko has a looooooong way to go. I really wish someone like Playdek had gotten this license, because Goko's treatment has made me weep. I don't need a digital version of every game I own. If they don't meet my expectations, I just won't bother.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
gf1024 wrote:
I was indifferent until I saw the question with what you'd pay for, with an option of "exclusive cards online".

Now I'm scared.

There will not be any online-only cards unless 1) I make them, and 2) they could not possibly work irl. There will probably be one such promo at some point. I imagine you will get it like the other promos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Tournaments for prizes

First of all, it didn't help having a Medieval Times CD next to me as I saw that on the survey.

2nd of all, I guess I do play too much Dom if it took me a few minutes to let go of the thought that they're not talking about matching up Provinces and getting Trusty Steeds, Bags Of Gold, Diadems, Followers, or a Princess out of it.

weezknight wrote:
beardandglasses wrote:

How's it feel to be such an outlaw? Remember you're playing an illegal version of the game...at least, according to goko you are.

Hahaha. I played the original free version today, too. Whereas I haven't logged into Goko in quite some time, guess I'll be spending time in Goko-jail, too.
I'll be joining you... Androminion will be the charge here. To quote Dave Matthews.. "for such a lovely crime, I'd gladly do the time".

thepackrat wrote:
The question is a crude attempt to ask "are you part of the population who can and will spend money on mobile stuff". Of course I am, I've bought lots of inetresting iOS games. I'm not giving goko any money, though, any more than I'd suddenly see a zynga or playdom paywall screen, complete with big-eyed female cartoons and think "you know what? I totally want to give my money to these predators-on-the-weak".

B>
Here, Ascension and their expansions/promos were insta-purchases. If Immortal Heroes comes out for it, they're getting my $$ as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:

thepackrat wrote:

B>
Here, Ascension and their expansions/promos were insta-purchases. If Immortal Heroes comes out for it, they're getting my $$ as well.

I buy some IAP stuff for various games I enjoy as well. That's entirely different to the behavior of Zynga and their ilk.

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan W.
msg tools
mbmbmb
cagriggs wrote:
Grudunza wrote:

I couldn't agree more. In fact, I'm not even wasting my time playing it anymore. I'd buy an iOS app in a heartbeat.

Could anyone explain to me why this offline play is so important to some players? I mean, what are you going to do with such a feature? Play against bots while traveling? Sounds not so super interesting to me...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Newton
United Kingdom
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
In the interest of giving credit where credit is due, my avatar is a scan of a hand-drawn caricature by cartoonist Jim Naylor which was done at my company's 20th anniversary dinner.
mbmbmbmbmb
kn1tt0r wrote:
cagriggs wrote:
Grudunza wrote:

Could anyone explain to me why this offline play is so important to some players? I mean, what are you going to do with such a feature? Play against bots while traveling? Sounds not so super interesting to me...

Simply put, would I rather pass some time by playing Solitaire or Dominion?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan W.
msg tools
mbmbmb
churchmouse wrote:
kn1tt0r wrote:
cagriggs wrote:
Grudunza wrote:

Fair enough, but I don't understand how this can be the one-and-only reason to pay money for the game. I mean, it would be a nice add-on, but a major feature? Seriously?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dicky P
United Kingdom
West
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kn1tt0r wrote:
churchmouse wrote:
kn1tt0r wrote:
cagriggs wrote:
Grudunza wrote:

Fair enough, but I don't understand how this can be the one-and-only reason to pay money for the game. I mean, it would be a nice add-on, but a major feature? Seriously?

What do you do if you want to play Dominion and you can't get online (for whatever reason e.g your network goes down, Goko servers go down, goko goes bust, travelling etc). Well other than play the hard copy, you won't be able to. End of.

Are you proposing that all games should have no offline capability, in which case that would be a sad day, and personally not a world I would want to see.

Think about all the games you might have which currently don't have an online capability. Do you enjoy them? Following your thinking through you should move on from them as clearly offline isn't a major festure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan W.
msg tools
mbmbmb
Boom04 wrote:
What do you do if you want to play Dominion and you can't get online (for whatever reason e.g your network goes down, Goko servers go down, goko goes bust, travelling etc). Well other than play the hard copy, you won't be able to. End of.

Are you proposing that all games should have no offline capability, in which case that would be a sad day, and personally not a world I would want to see.

Think about all the games you might have which currently don't have an online capability. Do you enjoy them? Following your thinking through you should move on from them as clearly offline isn't a major festure.

The thing is, Dominion is primarily a mulitplayer game, which simply requires online play. Playing against bots is just an additional feature, but it's not what the game is about. I agree, however, that bots only make real sense if you can also play them offline. But for a game like Dominion, I don't see how it can be a basic requirement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dicky P
United Kingdom
West
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kn1tt0r wrote:
The thing is, Dominion is primarily a mulitplayer game, which simply requires online play.

What like Chess, Go, a string of other board games to numerous to mention that currently work fine with offline/AI capabilities?? All are multi player games, the offline functions in those are not "add-ons" but core.

I am not disputing that online is a great offering, but equally there is a substantial group of people who have no interest/can't be bothered with online gaming/or simply are in situations where online doesn't work for them.

For me if I want to get that online experience of real life people.. sit them down in a room, pull out the cards and the experience will be so much better.

Having good AI (offline) is a viable alternative for when those people aren't available. That is why I would like offline.. yes seriously!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Daley
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thepackrat wrote:

B>

There is a big difference between purchasing a GAME or a PRODUCT, and purchasing tiny bits of a game piece-by-piece.

It is quite analogous to the difference between Dominion and Magic The Gathering. They are both card games, but the way in which you get the cards couldn't be more different.

I would NEVER EVER pay (or even play for free) a game that required in-game purchases to play the full game. I do however, regularly purchase games online, and will continue to do so. Goko has chosen a business model that I just cannot support (and one that is quite frankly losing steam quickly across the industry).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Daley
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kn1tt0r wrote:
churchmouse wrote:
kn1tt0r wrote:
cagriggs wrote:
Grudunza wrote:

I think the iOs version of Tichu is a pretty good example. I love online play with others, but I rarely get a game going. I have literally HUNDREDS of offline games under my belt, however, and would sit down and play it right now if I didn't have to go to work. It is a HUGE advantage for a game to have offline mode.

Maybe it's not a necessity, but many of the features that make a really nice car aren't a necessity either - but it's often these little non-necessity items that we choose our cars for
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne
Australia
flag msg tools
designer
kn1tt0r wrote:

Simply put, I play games on my ipad almost solely offline so an online only game just would never get played. I don't tend to buy games that won't get played
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike S.
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
no offline play against AI = no coming out of my pocket ( and no real cash either )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.