Subject: Viable squad? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ted Von Penguin
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wondering if this team is viable. I've only played a few games and most of the time my opponent wants to play 120 points instead of 100 so I haven't been able to field test it.

Luke Skywalker with Rd-D2, determination, and a proton torpedo
Garven Dries with R5-D8
Dutch Vander with R5-K6 a Proton Torpedo and an ion cannon

The main goal of this group is to fly in close formation as long as possible, buffing Luke mostly. Dutch plus Luke both with torpedoes would be a strong opening salvo, Garven could improve Luke's tankiness even more or make Dutch more damaging and Dutch's Ion would be a good disruptor. Not sure the real effectiveness though. If they take out Dutch early that's most of my offensive power right there since a lot is invested in him granting target locks. Garven's boost will only really help Luke defensively unless he gets attacked before Luke's turn as well. I really like the buff heavy concept though. Just trying to gauge if it'll do anything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Three Headed Monkey
Australia
flag msg tools
Looks OK. If you give Luke swarm tactics you can have Garven Dreis shoot before him.

So Dries uses focus, Luke uses lock on, and Dutch uses lock on to give another to Dries. You use swarm tactics to make Dries initiative 8, he shoots first and gives his focus token to Luke.

On the whole I like this better than using Dreis' ability to buff Dutch Vander as a X-Wing is much more aggressive. Also, Luke doesn't need that much more defensive buffing.

You'd have to downgrade one of you droids, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Von Penguin
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So giving Garven a generic R5 (Which does something similar to the droid I was giving him by increasing survivability just not as well) and switching determination for Swarm? I'd have a point to spare but that would give me initiative potentially at least?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric B.
United States
East Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The biggest difficulty this squad will face is that Garven and Dutch are both expensive (in the sense a lot of points have been invested in them) but they're basically sitting ducks with little protection of their own. Once Garven starts trying to use his astromech to repair, he's effectively giving up his special ability since he won't be using Focus.

I've struggled with elite three-ship Rebel builds that don't have Biggs in them, because you put a lot of points into each pilot but you're likely to lose one in the opening pass, leaving you with an uphill battle against the remaining Imperial TIEs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Von Penguin
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well following three headed monkey's advice I'm switching Garven to the droid that nullifies Crits for free so I have the points to give Luke swarm tactics, Might switch which pilot gets which droid though Dutch is keeping the extra target one.

Biggs is good but it seems like losing him is just as likely and hurtful as any other X-wing.

My hope was that I'd be able to torpedo two ties at range three before things got hairy in most fights, even assuming a full eight tie swarm that would hurt them wouldn't it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Three Headed Monkey
Australia
flag msg tools
vonpenguin wrote:
Well following three headed monkey's advice I'm switching Garven to the droid that nullifies Crits for free so I have the points to give Luke swarm tactics, Might switch which pilot gets which droid though Dutch is keeping the extra target one.

Glad I could help.

Personally I would prefer an R2 unit on Dreis. I think an R5 is a little too situational on a ship with just three hull points.

Quote:
Biggs is good but it seems like losing him is just as likely and hurtful as any other X-wing.

The point of Biggs is that used correctly you are forcing your opponent to take the bad shooting option. You can position Biggs in such a way that attacks against him have less chance or doing damage. For instance keeping him back at range 2 or 3 while your other ships move into range 1 without having to worry about taking powerful, close range retaliatory attacks. Or place him on the other side of an asteroid to the bulk of your opponents force. Combine all that with R2-F2 and you can really frustrate your opponent.

I'm not saying you should put him into your list, but don't write him off as an option for other builds. At the end of the day, we all have our preferences.

The best way to find if a build works is to play with it several times and to see what actually happens on the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Von Penguin
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh I'm not writing him off permanently. He's just not what I want here. I actually have a list for him flying interference for a proton laden Horton and Dutch team.

I'll fiddle with the droid combos I think. See how many games I can get in before Kessel run. I'm not sure how useful an R2 would be on Dreis in this build because I plan on keeping him close to the other two anyway, pulling off a red might bring him out of range 2 of his wingman and would deny him his focus action. Though it is good insurance in case he really needs to pull off a u-turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Smith
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As you noted, Garven can really only help Luke defensively against lower skilled pilots than himself. Although I lake Garven he really only shines if he is one of a very few elite pilots on the map.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.