Sentinels of the Multiverse» Forums » Variants

Subject: Hero's turn order rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Benjami Pitarch
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It´s just a very light variant where you decide the order in which you play the heroes every turn.
I was playing this way by mistake, but now that I know it´s not how it´s suppose to be played, I think I will keep playing like this, it seems more thematic as we discus every turn the best way to do it just like real heroes would do when planning a coordinate attack on a villain.
Don´t know if anyone else tried this and what could go wrong with this method (maybe with a villain that I have not fought yet with some special mechanic). Maybe it makes the game just a little easier but you can always fight harder villains or advanced ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SnipedintheHead
United States
Burlington
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
I went to BGG and I all got was this Overtext
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing this way will make the game much easier. Part of the challenge of the game is deciding how to best use heroes when they are partially nullified. Being able to get rid of pesky ongoing/environment cards whenever you want instead of when a specific heroes turn comes up would take a lot of the challenge out of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Wasson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
DAD JOKES
badge
Never trot when you can prance.
mbmbmbmbmb
There are cards that are meant to last one round that you can break by doing this. For instance if Blade has Backlash Field out and Haka plays Ground Pound on the first turn, next round I want to put him last so it the other heroes get two turns of being safe from the revenge damage.

My other issue with being able to switch up the order if hero turns is that it bogs the game down. One of the things I like about SotM is that it's pretty pacy for how much is going on. That extra planning time is extra overhead.

Also, I tend to feel like the game errs on the side of being too easy rather than too hard so I'm not hugely excited about things that make the game easier for the heroes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting idea to play around with the Hero turn order. However, I would prefer the games to be generally harder so here's another method to determine the Hero turn order:

- Turns are taken from the Hero with the least wounds to the Hero with the most wounds. For Heroes with the same number of wounds, the players may decide who goes first.

It might add an interesting element to the game - you may not want the Hero with the highest HP to be taking most of the damage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Scatliff
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
It's about time, too.
badge
I hate overtext but love irony.
mbmbmbmbmb
I assumed everybody played this way. Of course heroes should get to choose their turn order. That's just thematic.

And yes, you need to address that making some hero powers too powerful. I address that by having any hero power that lasts "until the start of the hero's next turn" expire at the end of the villain turn, before any hero turns. If you want to re-up that power, that hero has to go first.

Game is still very hard under those conditions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjami Pitarch
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Or you could just make the power last 1 full round so if the 2nd hero played the power, it last till the beginning of the 2nd hero`s turn next round. I agree it can slow the game a little, but I think that it makes much more thematic sense. I will try to play as the rules at least once thou, to see how it plays and be able to compare. Maybe it makes the game too easy when you are very experienced, but a few minutes ago, in my 5th play, Spite has just demolished us playing that way. Made me thought how will be the 4 dificulty villains.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Scatliff
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
It's about time, too.
badge
I hate overtext but love irony.
mbmbmbmbmb
tarao666 wrote:
Maybe it makes the game too easy when you are very experienced

This is probably true. But as much as I love the game, I don't memorize the abilities of villains or try to optimize hero combos or do any kind of "puzzle solving". I just want to watch a bunch of heroes fight a villain. For people like me who are happy not taking it too seriously, it's a good system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjami Pitarch
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After my first 5 player games a couple of days ago I must say that while the H mechanis kind of helps to scale the game for diferent number of players, with 5 players the game us much easier than with 3 and it´s harder to coordinate, so we started playing with this variant but changed quickly to a fixed turn order. Even that way we crushed a lv1, a lv2 and a lv3 boss while we were obliterated by a couple of lv2 bosses in our 3p games. So, either Spite is a lot harder than Voss, we were very lucky in the 5p games, or the game has severe balancing problems with diferent number of players.

That said I think from now on I will play this variant with 3 players to help balance the dificulty and because it´s fast and easy to play this way with 3, while I will play with fixed turn order 4p, and fixed turn order and advanced bosses 5p. Maybe that way the game scalates better, because I trully felt the other day that the H mechanism is very lacking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.