Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Napoleon in Europe» Forums » Rules

Subject: In Scenario six, seven, and eight does spain have a commitment roll? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nigel Dowling
United States
Mt.Horeb
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
According to the scenario setup instructions in the sixth, seventh, and eight, scenarios, Spain's capital Madrid is controlled by France, however it is in revolt. Does this mean that Spain would roll for commitment by virtue of it's capital being occupied imediately on the first turn and every subsequent turn so long as France still occupies it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Ozimek
Denmark
Aalborg
flag msg tools
badge
Must resist M:tG. Boardgames are my methadone :)
mbmbmbmbmb
Sadly I haven't played for a long time, so I may not remember the rule correctly, but I think the capital commitment roll is triggered on the occupier's turn(beginning the turn it is occupied). In this case that would mean the French turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Dowling
United States
Mt.Horeb
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Well, considering that Spain's commitment roll is only five and therefore likely to fail it. That means Spain would become a major neutruel country and be knocked out of the allied camp. Would this really provide for a realistic portrayel of the Peninsular War?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drazen Kramaric
Croatia
Zagreb
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
coolguy850 wrote:
Well, considering that Spain's commitment roll is only five and therefore likely to fail it. That means Spain would become a major neutruel country and be knocked out of the allied camp. Would this really provide for a realistic portrayel of the Peninsular War?

If Spain was a player nation, all it would require for Spaniards to continue the war was to survive French annexations of its territories and to spend a single PAP in order to continue the war.

Alternatively, if Spain as non-player major nation was required to sue for peace it would be up to British player to pay two PAPs and try to diplomatically return Spain into the anti-French coalition.

Without British military, financial and political support it is not all together unlikely that Spain would have eventually folded, just like many other nations during the Napoleonic wars.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Dowling
United States
Mt.Horeb
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Is this for the OOP rules or the Charge the Guns rules?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Richbourg
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
This is Kyoshi, our adopted Shiba Inu.
mbmbmbmbmb
My understanding is you, Jan, and Drax are talking about the original rules, not CTG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Ozimek
Denmark
Aalborg
flag msg tools
badge
Must resist M:tG. Boardgames are my methadone :)
mbmbmbmbmb
chargetheguns wrote:
My understanding is you, Jan, and Drax are talking about the original rules, not CTG.

Yes I was.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R Hilton
United States
Sarasota
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have also found the status of Spain in these scenarios very hard to understand and to reconcile or replicate with the OOP rules (I've been away from the game for some time and am not familiar with the CTG rules). Perhaps that's not surprising given the well-known ambiguity and gaps in the original rules, especially covering diplomacy and political actions.

One ad hoc home rule that would be consistent with the Spanish situation at the start of these scenarios and that would seem to be consistent with history is to allow France to annex Madrid without annexing all other regions in Spain. All the un-annexed regions that exclude Madrid form a single non-player Major Nation, call it rump Spain, which acts just like any other Player Nation, except that conquest of rump Spain requires occupying all its regions, at which point a Commitment roll would be made and normal sue-for-peace rules apply.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.