Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
matt way
United States
dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got this and was doing a test game to learn the rules and I seem to have found a new way to lose/win.

Free Trade to Persia event (round 5 a) - If you blockade 1 of the 2 routes to Persia, your opponent loses 1 prestige EVERY Turn this happens. Sparta was low on prestige, tried a battle on favorable terms (5 on 4), won but got 0 prestige from the fight, leaving him at 0. Athens next turn goes, already had the blockade so it seems to be an instant Athens win.

Is this correct?

Actually reviewing the event cards I found a number of them that lead to instant prestige loss or Athens population loss that could in the right circumstances lead to instant loss.

Poliorcetes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
It's a fearful thing, to fall into the Hands of the Living God!
badge
Tell me, have you found the Yellow Sign?
mbmbmbmbmb
Quick answer:
You unfortunately got the card text wrong. If you block your opponent, YOU lose prestige. Only exception: If you got ten galleys in the specified areas...

But other than that, I think you are right. Although I would not deem it a 5th way, but an enhancement of the 4th.

So maybe we should put in the FAQ:
Whenever a player HAS to lose PP, but is already at 0 PP, this unavoidable loss will result in him losing the game!

Okay, that was a bit inelegant, but it states the point, I guess...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fran Diaz
Spain
Zaragoza
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Dumon wrote:
Quick answer:
You unfortunately got the card text wrong. If you block your opponent, YOU lose prestige. Only exception: If you got ten galleys in the specified areas...

But other than that, I think you are right. Although I would not deem it a 5th way, but an enhancement of the 4th.

So maybe we should put in the FAQ:
Whenever a player HAS to lose PP, but is already at 0 PP, this unavoidable loss will result in him losing the game!

Okay, that was a bit inelegant, but it states the point, I guess...

Hi Poliorcetes,

That's it. YOU lose if YOU block your opponent routes. "Free trade" to the Persian territories (Persis & Aigyptos) must be ensured.

Four events may trigger an automatic loss:
- Free trade with Persia (Rd. 5a&5b - Both players)
- Plague and humiliation (Rd. 5a - Only Athens)
- Hermocopid conspiracy (Rd 5b - Both players) *#2
- Egypt rebels against Persia (Rd.4 - Only Athens) *

So 5 cards (4, 5a, 5a, 5b, 5b). With the cards appearing in the 5a and 5b round, you should have some PP so the event won't make you lose.

* Actually just 4 in a standard scenario:

The last card: "Egypt rebels against Persia" states "[if the Athenian player can't send 2 galleys minimum to Persia] he loses 1 Prestige point for each one not sent"
In the standard scenario is not applicable. The Athenian player will always be able to send 2 or more galleys because he/she starts with 3 and there are no battles in the round type 3.

But someone may design a scenario with 2 or less Athenian galleys beginning a round type 3. Then it would trigger the loss by that player if he/she didn't create some more.

*#2: See next post by
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, "Hermocopid Conspiracy" will not let a player lose the game.
Let me explain why.

Sparta can lose a maximum of 1 PP at the beginning of the round.
Which means he can only lose the game if he has 0 PP to begin with.
But that in turn would mean that he had 0 PP at the end of the previous round. And this is a standard condition.

Likewise, the Athens player can lose a maximum of 1 PP at the end of the round - after everything else has been done.
This can result in two critical situations:
a) The Athenian player has 0 PP. Regardless of whether the Event would let him lose 1 PP or not, he has lost anyway.
b) The Athenian player has exactly 1 PP. Hermocopid Conspiracy lets him lose this 1 PP. Then he has 0 PP left. He again loses due to a standard condition. The card was the catalyst, but it does not provide the exception through which he lost (he loses based on a general rule).

Okay, that is a bit nitpicky, but I guess you could just leave it out...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fran Diaz
Spain
Zaragoza
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Yes, you're right. It's not an immediate defeat.

But if the Event makes the Spartan to empty his only PP, it's almost like losing the game: he will only be able to collect Lakedaimon and get some wheat by trade. It's a extreme situation. In this case, I would shake hands with the Athenian player and resign. laugh

My previous post edited: asterisk added.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DominiGeek
Dominican Republic
Santo Domingo
D.N.
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Nalekh wrote:

But if the Event makes the Spartan to empty his only PP, it's almost like losing the game: he will only be able to collect Lakedaimon and get some wheat by trade. It's a extreme situation. In this case, I would shake hands with the Athenian player and resign. laugh

Couldn't the spartan player move the Proxenos and cause civil unrest in a polis, thus gaining some prestige? Of course it would need silver.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, correct.
If, in the situation described by Nalekh, the Spartan player had enough silver to "buy" a polis, then he could create the Prestige necessary to take more actions.
The bigger problem is that, if that happens during the game, you will be in a situation where the other player probably has so much advantage over you, it's almost impossible to recover from that.

Or, to put it bluntly, if you go into the third or fourth round with 0 PP, and your opponent has at least 4, you might as well hand in the crown...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ilya Bezlyudnyy
Russia
Saratov
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dumon wrote:
Likewise, the Athens player can lose a maximum of 1 PP at the end of the round

Why did you say "end of the round"? The Hermocopid Conspiracy says "at the end of every turn".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ach, dammit.
And there is another translation mistake. I don't know how it happened...

You are right. It's every turn...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.