Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
michael whitis
United States
Burlington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My 15 year old has started playing D&D and Magic with some friends after school. Recently, he mentioned that he was curious about 40K and dropping hints about Christmas gifts. Given that HH is relatively cheap for Black Friday, I was thinking about picking it up to see if he's actually even remotely interested in a miniatures game or a wargame.

I've never played 40K, but was wondering if there's even a remote resemblance between the two games so that we could judge whether or not it's something that he's actually interested in without having to incur the cost of getting into full-on 40K?

Thanks,

Mike
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope, not even remotedly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TTorres
United States
Roseville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It bears no relation to the playing style of Warhammer 40,000; they're radically different games. Is your goal to find a 40k themed game, or another unit-based minis game?

And if you want a more full description of how it's different, please ask.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are comparing gameplay to the Warhammer 40K tabletop miniature game, then there is little resemblance other than the fluff.

However, HH is a great way to get to play with some awesome and legendary units due to the scale of the conflict, which would be very expensive or even impossible to have with the tabletop minis game.

Another cheap option to experience the world of 40K would be Space Hulk: Death Angel – The Card Game, imo a very good simulation of space marines desperately fighting against hordes of tyranids. It is a fully coop game unlike HH.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Having played HH but only having watched 40K I would not say they were similar in gameplay at all.

40K has more detail in terms of stats for your armies, rulers for distance and damage.

HH has less detail than that. It is more a board game than a tabletop miniatures game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael whitis
United States
Burlington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tonman wrote:
It bears no relation to the playing style of Warhammer 40,000; they're radically different games. Is your goal to find a 40k themed game, or another unit-based minis game?

Good question. I haven't had a chance to ask him about where his interest specifically lies in 40K. However, my guess is that it's the theme and the idea of the shiny bits that's got him interested. I don't really see him as a minis gamer with terrain and tape measures. He hates math and calculating hit modifiers would likely turn him off quickly.

K.Y. had mentioned Death Angel as another possibility. That's a great idea! We actually already have that, so I can use it to help refine what he's interested in.

Thanks for the feedback.

Mike

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TTorres
United States
Roseville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure thing. Feel free to respond back as you have more questions or information. My first experience with minis was Warhammer Fantasy Battle in the late 80's. 40k came soon after, and I still play once in a long while. However my minis preferences have changed radically, and the majority of the time I play board and card games.

As there's so much great stuff to choose from these days (IMHO), honing in on the play experience you're hoping for is most often the best first step.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Hebert
United States
Goodlettsville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As they all said - nothing remotely related to the game play. The Universe though is quite there. Death Angel was recommended - Chaos in the Old World is also a noteworthy choice though it's the Warhammer Fantasy universe and not 40k.

Also, Death Angel the card games gives a good intro to a title I'm surprised no one has mentioned yet - Space Hulk.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Bradley
United Kingdom
Haverhill
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
The best things in life aren't things.
mbmbmbmbmb
You can keep the cost of full 40k down by insisting he doesn't by new models until all the existing ones are painted

If he wants the miniature wargame there's really no substitute. By design, strangely enough (GW is very strict about the non-mini-wargame products so there's no overlap).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TTorres
United States
Roseville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fwing wrote:
If he wants the miniature wargame there's really no substitute.

True. But if he wants a miniature wargame, these days there's no lack of great options.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No resemblance. However, for $25, you can't go wrong (except shipping is around $15, so you're actually spending $40). I would recommend looking at the Blood Bowl Living Rules and maybe your son can start a league and use his friend's miniatures (or other miniatures from other games) as players. Also, you can look at the photos and make your own board. It's free and one of the best games Games Workshop has made but don't promote it because they don't make as much money. Or, I think you can still buy the game at the Games Workshop Site. Otherwise, 40K, just the rulebook and an Codex Army Manual will be around $100 if you buy it on the internet at 30% discount, which doesn't include the minis. Or, for a bare bones starter set, buy "Dark Vengeance" with gorgeous Chaos & Space Marine mini's with a smaller version of the rulebook for about $87 (the rulebook by itself is worth it). I got mine from Amazon with 2-Day Prime shipping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Plourde
Canada
Windsor
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shroudedmoon wrote:
Tonman wrote:

Good question. I haven't had a chance to ask him about where his interest specifically lies in 40K. However, my guess is that it's the theme and the idea of the shiny bits that's got him interested. I don't really see him as a minis gamer with terrain and tape measures. He hates math and calculating hit modifiers would likely turn him off quickly.

K.Y. had mentioned Death Angel as another possibility. That's a great idea! We actually already have that, so I can use it to help refine what he's interested in.

Thanks for the feedback.

Mike

3d plastic mountains, 120 miniatures with clip-on bases for damage, thunderhawk bombardments, freakin titans breaching walls, legendary heroes and villains, the chance toi recreate the most legendary and influencial battle of the 40K universe, streamlined combats for easier and fats gameplay. Reading your sentence, I think we have a no brainer at this price. Go to thé main page and watch ffg's intro video. Caution, may cause drooling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Plourde
Canada
Windsor
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to add, controlling Horus himself and Emperor in battle, how cool is that? :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Hebert
United States
Goodlettsville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nicely put - wonder how long supplies will last. For those wanting to go and get the game, adding another game or a different game or 3 only adds a few dollars to shipping so you might want to get a with a buddy and just split the fees.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel van der pol
Netherlands
Leiden
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Horus Heresy has no game play resemblance whatsoever with Warhammer 40k. If he wants to try 40k, he should go to a FLGS and see if someone there would want to do an intro battle with him. Its the best and most cost-effective way to see if he would like the game.

The license between GW and FFG specifically prohibit FFG from producing games with mini's that are on scale with what GW themselves are producing, so that there is no overlap or competition between the companies in that respect. That means that any spin-off 28mm games MUST come from GW themselves (like Bloodbowl or Space Hulk), while FFG will be able to use plastic mini's in their game as long as the mini's are completely unusable for GW miniature wargames. So Chaos in the Old World and Horus Heresy do have mini's, but the scale is such that they cannot be used in Warhammer Fantasy Battles or Warhammer 40k.

In any case, the Warhammer 40k 6th edition is in terms of "math" not really that difficult; some pluses or minuses here and there, some look-up tables here and there, but not really a lot of multiplication or similar. I've known 10 year olds who play the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael whitis
United States
Burlington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to everyone for the input and advice. I went ahead and added a copy to my FFG order. Since my son is just curious about 40K at this point, this might be a good introduction for him to get a feel for it. Between this and Death Angel, I should be able to gauge what his level of 40K interest is.

Thanks again.

Mike
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bernier
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shroudedmoon wrote:
Thanks to everyone for the input and advice. I went ahead and added a copy to my FFG order. Since my son is just curious about 40K at this point, this might be a good introduction for him to get a feel for it. Between this and Death Angel, I should be able to gauge what his level of 40K interest is.

Thanks again.

Mike

Great move and at that price you can't go wrong! Excellent components, great gameplay and the WH fluff is kind of a no brainer.

I ordered a copy too. I was hesitating since last year and I took the plunge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.