2 Posts

Santa Cruz» Forums » Rules

Subject: Santa Cruz: "Double Move" cards ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Pilon
Canada
flag msg tools
There is a rule I don't understand in Santa Cruz. When you use a "Double Move" card, you are supposed to build 2 buildings (I know, that phrase sounds awful), while playing 2 identical moves, whether it's 2 Rivers, 2 Ships or 2 Roads. It seems that it's impossible to play this card to "skip" over an opponent's construction on the same Road, and just build one "town" farther. It's OK for me, I don't mind that much.

But there is an exception for Rivers that I'd really like one of you board game fans to explain to me. You can play a "Double Move" card with 2 Rivers, and if the first place you want is not available down the River (even if you can go wherever you like, on any of the 2 Rivers available on the board), you can build on a second place along this River (I guess), and it's accepted to build only one building. Why is that so for Rivers all of a sudden ? Why can't I do the same on Roads ?

Is it because by Sea, it's really easy to build 2 buildings wherever we want on a Coastal tile, and by Roads, it's not allowed, so Rivers is kind of in-between, falling in the "not so easy, but not impossible either" category ?

It may be nitpicking a bit (like the chicken or the egg paradox), and there might not be any official reasons from Mr. Casasola-Merkle to do so, but in such a tactical game (and a rather clever one at that), it's rather important to understand the rules and their exceptions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel-André Casasola Merkle
Germany
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
designer
mb
The exception rule is only there to clarify situations where you go to a building space that is not yet revealed. Because of this it is possible that you reveal a space and find that you don't have the needed building (house, church or light house) so you are not able to build. In this case you are still allowed to make the second half of the double move.

This can't happen on the coast (because all coast tiles are revealed from the beginning).
And it can't happen on the street because all spaces you are allowed to choose to go to are already revealed.

I'm not sure if my English is good enough to clarify so please tell me if there are still questions.

Best regards
Marcel-André
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.