Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Gallant
Canada
Dartmouth
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played the game twice and had to constantly review the description for the "Swap Country Token" and still don't really know how it works. Can someone provide a few examples of using it with how the timing works? Greatly appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Howard
United States
Marina del Rey
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My explanation will pretty much mirror what it says on pg 16 of the rulebook (since their explanation is pretty good).

Here's what happens as I understand it:

-Place your Field Researcher (pawn) on the Swap Country Token space, but do not collect the bean there.

-Pick up your pawn and the Swap Country Token, and move it to another spot on the map, taking the existing Country Token and pawn (if any) and putting it in the empty spot where you came from.

-Then take the bean (if any) from your new Country Crop space.

I have only been able to play the game once so far, but there were two instances where using the Swap Country Token was really helpful:
1) Let's say there is a bean you really want, but it sits below a negative Country Token (such as -2pp). Choose to land on the Country Swap Token instead, then move yourself to the desired Country. You will get to take your desired bean, but you've now side-stepped the negative effect!

2) Perhaps there's a person you want to Blend with, but there are no more spots available in his region of the map. Land on the Country Swap Token, then butt your way into his region, moving one of his teammates out of there. This same tactic can also be used to sabotage potential teams, or force a team to research, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Grant
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cheeseburger wrote:
I've played the game twice and had to constantly review the description for the "Swap Country Token" and still don't really know how it works. Can someone provide a few examples of using it with how the timing works? Greatly appreciated.

This is the detail in the rule book:
"Swap Country Tokens. Before a Bean is taken, player may move Researcher and this Country Token to another location. The Country Token at that location (and a Field Researcher on that Token, if occupied) is placed in the vacant Token spot. Player then takes the Bean in the resulting Country Crop space, if available."

Essentially it means when you put your researcher on this country you can pick another spot to switch with. As I read it the timing is immediate - e.g. After you place the token you perform the action (in this case optional) and then take the bean, if available. You move the research pawns with their respective countries if a switch is made.

If still confused let us know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexis Perez
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GeckoTH wrote:
My explanation will pretty much mirror what it says on pg 16 of the rulebook (since their explanation is pretty good).

Here's what happens as I understand it:

-Place your Field Researcher (pawn) on the Swap Country Token space, but do not collect the bean there.

-Pick up your pawn and the Swap Country Token, and move it to another spot on the map, taking the existing Country Token and pawn (if any) and putting it in the empty spot where you came from.

-Then take the bean (if any) from your new Country Crop space.

I have only been able to play the game once so far, but there were two instances where using the Swap Country Token was really helpful:
1) Let's say there is a bean you really want, but it sits below a negative Country Token (such as -2pp). Choose to land on the Country Swap Token instead, then move yourself to the desired Country. You will get to take your desired bean, but you've now side-stepped the negative effect!

2) Perhaps there's a person you want to Blend with, but there are no more spots available in his region of the map. Land on the Country Swap Token, then butt your way into his region, moving one of his teammates out of there. This same tactic can also be used to sabotage potential teams, or force a team to research, etc.

This is exactly right including the strategy tactic. I've also seen this done to place a negative point bonus in the same region as a player who people really want to trade with. That player made the mistake of selecting a region with the trade country token. Everyone knew their bag was mostly black and there were two player's wanting to trade with him. Another player who was doing research placed the =2 pp token in this region to penalize anyone who did trade with that player. Someone did still take it but lost 2 points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mesich
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Horta chortles.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think it's been mentioned yet that the country swap itself is OPTIONAL.

You can simply place your researcher there and take the bean below it if you like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pablo Schulman
Brazil
Belo Horizonte
Minas Gerais
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Suppose I swap places to a place that has been occupied. Would I receive any beans because of the Grow track. I guess not, since there's no bean there to be "grown". Any thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mesich
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Horta chortles.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PSchulman wrote:
Suppose I swap places to a place that has been occupied. Would I receive any beans because of the Grow track. I guess not, since there's no bean there to be "grown". Any thoughts?

No bean for you, but it may well be worth it to get in on a lucrative blending partnership.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Howard
United States
Marina del Rey
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would think the opposite...

If, for example, you had the Grow ability, and were to land on the "-1 Bean" Country Token, then you would still get to take a bean from the fields. It seems like your example would work the same way.

(though a ruling from the designers would be nice)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mesich
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Horta chortles.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bah, that's what I get for answering questions on my way out the door and not reading them fully.

Bean from the field in the color from the blend slate would be my guess.

I completely missed the grow aspect of the question, sorry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Álvaro Suárez Riobó
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello, I have a doubt about swap country tokens: can you change your position for another position with the flipped country tokens? Thanks

On the other hand, the investement tokens can be ussed in the current blends or can you use it too on the blend slates in the best seller list?

Sorry, my english is poor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice Hate Me
United States
Chapel Hill
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
The boardgame blog with worse luck than you! dicehateme.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Edgecomb wrote:
Hello, I have a doubt about swap country tokens: can you change your position for another position with the flipped country tokens? Thanks

Yes, you can!

Quote:
On the other hand, the investement tokens can be ussed in the current blends or can you use it too on the blend slates in the best seller list?

Sorry, my english is poor.

Investment tokens may only be used on current Blends, and the investment token must be played before the Blend is created.

Cheers,
Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Álvaro Suárez Riobó
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a lot for your attention.
You have been very fast!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.