Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Rudmann
United States
Derwood
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When Brodie shows up, where is he initially placed? Since normal minion rules don't apply re: maximum number of minions per space, is he just treated as a "large minion" and always placed on the minion entrance space closest to a mouse/mice (with players choosing if multiple options are available)? I suppose it doesn't matter if Pounce is his first card that comes up, but it does matter in regard to where he begins the Chase action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
..and I would think also where his pawn is so that you can attack it? I would also like to ask if you have to defeat him to move on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Greenley
United States
Harleysville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Greetings Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
I always treated Brodie as a Large Minion, which means he gets placed on a minion entrance location closest to a mouse. The only difference is that, as you noted, he's not restricted by normal stacking limits. So if there's a mouse on a minion entrance spot, he'll come in there, with his token being underneath the mouse.

Note that regardless of whether you think of Brodie as a large minion or a small minion, the rules will apply the same. The only way he'd come in anywhere besides on the entrance spot closest to a mouse is if he were a ranged minion, which he clearly is not.

And with regards to Arthur's question, Brodie counts as a minion just like any other, and must be defeated before the mice can Explore away from a tile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Searing
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
Get cool game inserts at www.inserthere.me
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess the way I have played is with the Pounce card first, then chase. Thus Brodie appears on the space that has the most characters on it via the Pounce and then chases as the chase card describes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does he come back if thebcheese wheel is filled again? If not, is this always the case with special surges?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Rudmann
United States
Derwood
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
But nowhere does it say that pounce comes first, then chase...the cards get shuffled with the rest during initiative, or shuffled and placed at the bottom of the track if it's a surge. I think treating him like a large minion makes sense, except that (as was mentioned) the stacking limits don't apply.

By the way, roughly 40 seconds after I posted this, Brodie tore us a collective new one in the kitchen and my daughter went to bed early. Grrrr....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bear Klaw
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Muemmelmann wrote:
Does he come back if thebcheese wheel is filled again? If not, is this always the case with special surges?

Unless the special surge explicitly states that it happens only once, the special surge happens every time the cheese wheel fills up the room. On my group's first run through we beat Brodie and then the remaining roaches rolled a bunch of cheese and Brodie came back. It did not go well for us mice after that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Woody
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
bearklaw wrote:
Muemmelmann wrote:

Unless the special surge explicitly states that it happens only once, the special surge happens every time the cheese wheel fills up the room. On my group's first run through we beat Brodie and then the remaining roaches rolled a bunch of cheese and Brodie came back. It did not go well for us mice after that.

I thought that special surges only happened once unless they specifically stated otherwise. Just like regular encounter surges, just with special bad guys. Is there a rule in the book stating that specials happen more than once?

Also, we do the same thing one of the above players mentioned and just let Brodie pounce first. For us it thematically makes the most sense. You know, instead of slinking into the room, he comes out of nowhere and lands on you. Ouch!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Bell
United States
Osceola Mills
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Scythe!
badge
Life is not a game - games are life.
mbmbmbmbmb
jhwedmd wrote:
I thought that special surges only happened once unless they specifically stated otherwise. Just like regular encounter surges, just with special bad guys. Is there a rule in the book stating that specials happen more than once?

You have the rule correct. Special Surge Minions only appear once unless the scenario specifically states otherwise. The Hourglass would move if you got a second surge but Brodie would NOT appear again.

Jerry confirms it HERE

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Woody
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
Cool, thanks for the clarification.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oldschoolgamr
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
Are you standin' yet?
badge
Artwork: My Daughter
mbmbmbmbmb
RMGreen wrote:
Note that regardless of whether you think of Brodie as a large minion or a small minion, the rules will apply the same. The only way he'd come in anywhere besides on the entrance spot closest to a mouse is if he were a ranged minion, which he clearly is not.

I am not sure I agree with this thiking as the rules only declare using minion spaces that are the closest with large minions... For small minions, players get to choose which spaces to use, as long as they aren't full, and with the goal of spreading them out:

M&M Rulebook, page 14 wrote:
3. One at a time, place all small melee minions on the remaining available (not full) minion entry spaces. Players choose which spaces to use if multiple options are available. Try to spread these melee minions out as much as possible.

In our experience, the game difficulty can change in the blink of an eye - so we choose spaces that are farthest from the mice first... To keep the difficulty moderate, we usually do one minion in each space, with a space with mice used last... and then doubling up from there - it does say "spread them out".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bear Klaw
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DrCrow wrote:
jhwedmd wrote:

You have the rule correct. Special Surge Minions only appear once unless the scenario specifically states otherwise. The Hourglass would move if you got a second surge but Brodie would NOT appear again.

Jerry confirms it HERE

Thanks for pointing that out - I was sure it was the other way around. That will make prolonged roach battles in the kitchen a bit easier to survive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.