Popular Tags: [View All]
Bob Pony
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We're looking for a clarification on Magneto's Electromagnetic Bubble card. The card says 'Choose one of your X-men Heroes. When you draw a new hand of cards at the end of this turn, add that Hero to your hand as a seventh card'.

Does the first sentence mean 'choose an X-men hero from your current hand' or 'Take any X-men hero from anywhere in your deck, played or unplayed. Discard pile, draw deck, current hand are all valid to root around through'.

We're guessing it's the latter, and that's how we played it (which helped because my wife didn't have an X card in her hand when she got this). But we weren't sure...

Obviously if you go digging around in your draw deck for an X card you'd need to shuffle the draw deck again before drawing your hand, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Devin Low
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Bob,

Thanks for the question. On page 16, in the lower-right, the rulebook says

>>>
"Your Heroes" & "Heroes You Have"
These phrases include both the cards in your hand and the cards you have played this turn. The Heroes in your deck and discard pile don't count.
>>>

Magneto's Electromagnetic Bubble says "one of your X-Men Heroes", so this section applies. Accordingly, it has to be a card in your hand or a card you have played this turn. It can't be a card in your deck or discard pile.

Good luck fighting Magneto!

Devin Low meeple
Designer, Legendary
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J W
Canada
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mb
so in other words, if you're gonna up against Magneto, pick some X-men heroes, huh? lol
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Did I mention that in addition to the cool insert and the awesome card packing, the rulebook development is top notch? I think if everyone just re-read the rulebook when they had a question, the rules forum here would be barren.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This happens in many a game, good rulebooks notwithstanding...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Pony
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dcorban wrote:
I think if everyone just re-read the rulebook when they had a question, the rules forum here would be barren.

I did go back through the rulebook before posting, but I missed that one sentence.

I must admit I was scanning for the word 'Choose', or phrase 'Choosing heroes', as that seemed to be the new action we hadn't run across on a card before. Probably why I missed it. Choosing just seemed similar to the other defined action words like KO'ing, gaining, rescuing, and healing.

The other thing that complicated my searching out the answer - I recalled the Captain America example given below that sentence. I remember scanning that page several times, and each time I looked at that corner I thought 'No, that's not it, that's explaining how played and held cards both count towards some bonuses'.

I'd like to thank Devin for being on here to help those of us that are learning his game. That's terrific, and unexpected. thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve W
Canada
flag msg tools
I think this one's well explained in the rulebook, but it is probably the one instance of slightly misleading wording in an otherwise really clean game.

"Your"'s a little ambiguous. Something like "Your current" might have been a little more intuitive, IMO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the most confusing part is that the hero cards are called "heroes", despite them actually being abilities or actions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asif Kazmi
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
With Doc Oc's card that lets you draw 8 cards after you defeat him, this would let you keep the X-man as a 9th card, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Devin Low
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Asif, yes, that's correct.

Devin Low meeple
Designer, Legendary
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.