Virgin Queen» Forums » Rules

Subject: Sea Beggars Activation? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tylor Hobbs
msg tools
mbmbmb
This one is just a quick question.

Sea Beggars says on its text that the Dutch gain control of any unoccupied port space. Now, if all of the unoccupied port spaces are already under Dutch control, then would the rest of the card take effect if it was played for the event? Or does the event simply become unplayable?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bradshaw
United Kingdom
Newcastle Upon Tyne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ecclectic Moose wrote:
This one is just a quick question.

Excellent! The slow questions can be so tiresome...

Sorry!

(I'm just fascinated by all these "quick questions" which people ask in these forums and I'm intrigued to know what distinguishes them from a slow question.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zack S.
United States
Honolulu
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmb
The ruling seems to be that you can play a card if it will have an effect, even if some aspects cannot be fulfilled. In this case it would seem like the piracy roll is the only benefit that would remain since you can't choose a space and that's used for everything else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Beach
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Zack's response is the correct interpretation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"The mystery of life isn't a problem to solve, but a reality to experience"
mbmbmbmbmb
zackss wrote:
The ruling seems to be that you can play a card if it will have an effect, even if some aspects cannot be fulfilled. In this case it would seem like the piracy roll is the only benefit that would remain since you can't choose a space and that's used for everything else.

If there are no remaining Spanish controlled ports in the Netherlands, it seems to me that it would be very unlikely for the Prots get the piracy attempt? The latter part of the event still requires the Spanish to have at least a port touching the North Sea.

So unless the Spanish have taken Edinburgh, and English port (Berwick, Norwich, or London, or Calais then the event would be almost useless...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SW_Cygnus wrote:
zackss wrote:

If there are no remaining Spanish controlled ports in the Netherlands, it seems to me that it would be very unlikely for the Prots get the piracy attempt? The latter part of the event still requires the Spanish to have at least a port touching the North Sea.

So unless the Spanish have taken Edinburgh, and English port (Berwick, Norwich, or London, or Calais then the event would be almost useless...

As Virgin Queen doesn't have a Missile Envy type card, it would seem very unlikely anyone would play Sea Beggars in this situation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"The mystery of life isn't a problem to solve, but a reality to experience"
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed (Nice TS reference too ). I was scratching my head when I reviewed the OP's question, because Spanish control of a port on the North Sea the North Sea is required for the piracy rolls.

You would be better off using the card for OPs and attempting a conversion and a rebellion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian Thy
Denmark
Taastrup
flag msg tools
Together, we are the United Nations
badge
Gunulfr ok Øgotr ok Aslakr ok Rolfr resþu sten þænsi æftir Ful, felaga sin, ær warþ ... døþr, þa kunungar barþusk.
mb
Philip Thomas wrote:
As Virgin Queen doesn't have a Missile Envy type card ...

Why didn't we think of that during play testing? ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Forster
United States
Pleasant Prairie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
"When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning" - Dr. Reiner Knizia
mbmbmbmbmb
You're suggesting the Virgin Queen should have Missle Envy?

whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.