GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,525 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
22 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
16 Posts

Merchant of Venus (second edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: Starting Movement from a Navigation Point rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christina Crouch
United Kingdom
Tadley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lets say you you end your previous turn's movement on a navigation point (lets say because your equipped navigation dice would otherwise send you back the way you came, so you had to stop).

If you then start your next go on the Navigation point, do you still have to set a heading on the point and roll to see if you can proceed in that direction? Or do you ignore the navigation numbers and just move off?

I just ask because we played the former, and one of the players got stuck at a nav point for 4 turns in a row as she needed a 6 to go the way she wanted and couldn't roll one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emmanouil Karakostas
Greece
Thessaloniki
Thessaloniki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
only upon entering you need the die to choose your route in the navigation point.
If you've entered it the previous turn, then you move normally.
The same goes (in a manner) with the wormholes. Only when you entered them you assign the die to go somewhere!

The game rocks!

Best release after Merchants and Marauders, from Z-MAN.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
You still pick your heading, but when exiting the standard navigation circle, the standard rules apply - you have to go in the direction of your navigation die (or the person to your left chooses if you don't pick one).

The rules don't explicitly say, but I think based on the rules for the original game that if you roll a die that would allow you to move the direction you originally chose, you must pick that die; otherwise, you are free to pick any die.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Scatliff
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
It's about time, too.
badge
I hate overtext but love irony.
mbmbmbmbmb
manolios wrote:
only upon entering you need the die to choose your route in the navigation point.
The same goes (in a manner) with the wormholes. Only when you entered them you assign the die to go somewhere!

I suppose that's one interpretation. This was brought up in anther thread, though, and some folks posted an alternative that I think came from the original game that went like this:

1. Declare your heading and roll.
2a. If you roll a die that matches your chosen heading then you must immediately assign that die to navigation and proceed.
2b. If you do not roll a die that matches your chosen heading, then either pick a navigation die and go in that direction or allow the player to your left to choose.

I like this because it still gives the navigation point some power without stranding you for multiple turns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christina Crouch
United Kingdom
Tadley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
'If you do not roll a die that matches your chosen heading, then either pick a navigation die and go in that direction or allow the player to your left to choose.'

There's a big difference between the active player picking and another player picking. Does the group agree which of these rules are played from the start of the game, or is it chosen at the time?

Can the player elect to stay put if they would rather not move off in the wrong direction?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emmanouil Karakostas
Greece
Thessaloniki
Thessaloniki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Smoo wrote:
manolios wrote:

I suppose that's one interpretation. This was brought up in anther thread, though, and some folks posted an alternative that I think came from the original game that went like this:

2a. If you roll a die that matches your chosen heading then you must immediately assign that die to navigation and proceed.
2b. If you do not roll a die that matches your chosen heading, then either pick a navigation die and go in that direction or allow the player to your left to choose.

I like this because it still gives the navigation point some power without stranding you for multiple turns.

But in this way someone could get rolling and rolling around,
without going never to his chosen destination, if not roll the specific die.
This back and forth, doesn't make thematic sense, not even gameplay sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christina Crouch
United Kingdom
Tadley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree, and this happened to me on my first game and I got very frustrated with the game. But I suppose it comes down to risk versus reward. There is usually the option to go round the long safe way as well. I assumed that part of working out the best trade routes was working through whether the short-cut was worth the risk.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Scatliff
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
It's about time, too.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
malibu_babe_28 wrote:
'If you do not roll a die that matches your chosen heading, then either pick a navigation die and go in that direction or allow the player to your left to choose.'

There's a big difference between the active player picking and another player picking. Does the group agree which of these rules are played from the start of the game, or is it chosen at the time?

Can the player elect to stay put if they would rather not move off in the wrong direction?

The active player has control if they are willing to set a navigation die immediately. If they do not want to set a navigation die immediately then they can simply let the player to their left choose their starting direction. They then retain the ability to set a nav die later (or use it for something else).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Scatliff
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
It's about time, too.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
manolios wrote:
Smoo wrote:
manolios wrote:

But in this way someone could get rolling and rolling around,
without going never to his chosen destination, if not roll the specific die.
This back and forth, doesn't make thematic sense, not even gameplay sense.

What?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christina Crouch
United Kingdom
Tadley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, now I understand.
So if they don't roll the dice for the course they want, they just have to take a different course using their navigation dice, or the player to the left can choose direction until the active player wants to apply a navigation dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Scatliff
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
It's about time, too.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
malibu_babe_28 wrote:
Ok, now I understand.
So if they don't roll the dice for the course they want, they just have to take a different course using their navigation dice, or the player to the left can choose direction until the active player wants to apply a navigation dice.

Exactly. There's nothing in the rules to support this interpretation, just people reporting that it's the way it worked in the original game, but I think it's a good compromise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Ross
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
Grand Master Cabalist
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And my understanding is that you can't just stop on a nav circle other than by choosing a die that would send you the direction you just came ... something you wouldn't be able to do in a subsequent turn if you started at a nag circle.

One of the guys I played this with got incredibly frustrated with this mechanic but I pointed out the same risk/reward and showed that there was a long way around.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
jedijawa74 wrote:
And my understanding is that you can't just stop on a nav circle other than by choosing a die that would send you the direction you just came ... something you wouldn't be able to do in a subsequent turn if you started at a nag circle.

You can also stop in a nav circle if you used your last movement point to get there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Alves
Portugal
Setubal
Setubal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's another suggestion. Instead of player of the left to pick your direction, you may roll a purple die to pick the direction. (House Rule from the start of game)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Scatliff
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
It's about time, too.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BGFreakDag2PT wrote:
There's another suggestion. Instead of player of the left to pick your direction, you may roll a purple die to pick the direction. (House Rule from the start of game)

That would make it easier. Then there would be a chance you could wind up going the direction you want to go. Having your neighbor pick means you'll probably go the direction you least want to go. It encourages you to use a nav die.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Alves
Portugal
Setubal
Setubal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's true. It gives another role to the other players will play towards the active player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.