Subject: Save Position rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Smethurst
United Kingdom
Manchester
Cheshire, England
flag msg tools
I'm putting together an Excel spreadsheet that I can save a MageKnight game, pack it all up, and set up again for a second session.
We are finding that this game can easily be an all day event for 3 to 4 people, and I would prefer to play over a couple of evenings.

This could be done as templates for each part of the game printed on paper but I would rather record it all electronically.
The template option may come later if the spreadsheet proves too cumbersome.

I was hoping to be able to read the Excel file on my ipad once created, but I'm finding none of the ipad office apps can cope with the numbered ranges and drop down combo boxes from my Excel file.

At the moment its looking like a laptop only solution to record the info. Perhaps a remote desktop app like teamviewer or onlive may be an option for the ipad, but for now I'm just trying to get something workable.

I was wondering if this would be useful for anybody else?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg T
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My point of view: not practical.
I play MK only when I know I have enough time. Setup and clean up take some time and when I think that I would have to do it twice or even more for one game then I prefer to play different games I reserve MK for long days/evenings.
I do understand though, that some ppl dont have long days/evenings at all so this might be a good solution for them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brother Leon
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
I paid 100 GG for this thinking it was a Geek Badge...
mb
Wouldn't taking pictures of the board/tokens/hands etc. be easier?

You could keep the decks structured as they are quite easily.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serge Levert
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing that would be difficult to track and recreate would be the cards moved to the bottom of the decks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Smethurst
United Kingdom
Manchester
Cheshire, England
flag msg tools
I have tried taking pictures but there is an awful lot of info to collect in Mage Knight.
e.g. Which units/advanced actions/spells have been discarded.
Then there are numerous exceptions such as basic actions discarded, artifacts connected to units, stacked tokens on tiles for multiple monsters.

Regarding card discards: My thought was to have a separate discard pile for each deck, then record these discarded cards when a "save position" is required.

I readily accept that packing up and seting up again takes time, but finding an entire day to play isn't always practical.

I can imagine that filling out a spreadsheet with all the details will also take time (20 mins?), but this may be the only way to get the game to table with any regularity for some people, and it may well be that other gamers don't play the game at all due to time constraints.

I don't think there is a simple solution, but I'll share how it goes.

I was just interested if anyone else wanted to do this. It may well be people who dont have the time to play a full game have moved on to other less time consuming games. Either that or I would be interested to know if anyone else is stopping mid game, and how they do this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brother Leon
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
I paid 100 GG for this thinking it was a Geek Badge...
mb
entranced wrote:
One thing that would be difficult to track and recreate would be the cards moved to the bottom of the decks.

I appreciate that you may not want to damage your cards but keeping them in elastic (or something similar) would preserve the ordering right?

I haven't got the game (Setup time is putting me off!) but i can't see why this wouldn't work?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
mbmbmbmbmb
nssxxx wrote:
entranced wrote:

I appreciate that you may not want to damage your cards but keeping them in elastic (or something similar) would preserve the ordering right?

I haven't got the game (Setup time is putting me off!) but i can't see why this wouldn't work?
Elastic? You need Hugo's Amazing Tape (or bondage tape if you are willing to be seen to buy it ).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Mage Knight is one of several reasons (also including Twilight Imperium, Talisman, Sid Meier's Civilization, and World of Warcraft the board game) that I finally pulled the trigger on an Emissary table from Geek Chic. Saving the game by just closing up the table cover FTW.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Smethurst
United Kingdom
Manchester
Cheshire, England
flag msg tools
Hugo's tape - Very Good!

There are certainly ways of saving certain elements of the game state but no easy solution for all of them.

Here is another scenario where a full game save would be best:
I have a friend who can only come over very occasionally.
We decided to play Mage Knight but he had to leave before we were finished as the game ran on longer than we had hoped. If I save the game state using components we cannot play the game again with anyone else as the componenets are "saved" for this particular game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Worrying about the exact order of the cards previously seen in the spell deck or the advanced actions deck seems unnecessary to me. So what if you don't reproduce that exactly?

I think it's more trouble than it's worth to play this game in sessions. But, if I did, I'd break at the end of a round, use my phone to photograph all of the important information (contents of each player deck, board, previously discarded monsters, contents of the various offers) and then use those for setup when we return.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I like elephants. I like how they swing through trees.
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
Worrying about the exact order of the cards previously seen in the spell deck or the advanced actions deck seems unnecessary to me. So what if you don't reproduce that exactly?

I agree. But an easy way to do it is to just put the discards underneath the deck facing up, and the current offers on top of the deck facing up. They can be easily distinguished and separated from what hasn't been drawn yet.

For a save-state document, I'd suggest printing a list of all of the cards, by group, with a little line next to each. Write "O" on the line for cards in the offer (or "O1, O2, O3" to order them), and "D" for discards. You don't need to know the others or their order. Pictures of the map should work best for all of that stuff. Also, player skills and current units, crystals, fame, reputation, etc., would need to be recorded.

Probably as much time to record it all as to set it up and tear down, plus you're doing two set ups and tear downs for one game. Whew.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Bulacz
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe you can use a spredsheet which we used in our PBF?
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AhS72Jx0bb-rdF9...
But it's rather a lot of effort to save the game (write all infos) and then a week later set it up again...
I would prefer to play a shorter version of the game like Mine Liberation or any Blitz games...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pabula wrote:
I would prefer to play a shorter version of the game like Mine Liberation or any Blitz games...

Mines Liberation isn't really shorter than Full Conquest, in my experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaiwen Zhang
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Welcome to Zombo.com!
badge
Art of life
mbmbmbmbmb
easy: take a picture.

as long as you have a decent camera, you'll be able to figure out how to rebuild it.

did the same thing with descent.

(or at work, when trying to save the content of a white-board )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Jersey
United States
Rives Junction
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jsciv wrote:
I finally pulled the trigger on an Emissary table from Geek Chic. Saving the game by just closing up the table cover FTW.

Nice! I have really wanted a table from Geek Chic for a long time. Congrats on your purchase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lior Kiperman
Israel
Ramat Gan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played Full Cooperation with my sister and we had to stop playing since I wanted to play it with friends too. I just pictured all the map and cards and crystals and so on. I realized that it's not that important to picture the cards in the discard pile of the spell deck, but we did take a picture of the "graveyard" (all the killed monster tokens)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.