Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
19 Posts

Android: Netrunner» Forums » General

Subject: official tournaments, ranking, etc rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Streicher
msg tools
mbmb
Wizards of the coast has putten a lot of effort into tournament rules and global rankings, card bans, etc. Can we expect the same quality for netrunner?

At least a tournament ruleset and the possibility to participate on a global ranking would be very nice.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Rampson
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Wizards of the Coast doesn't produce Android: Netrunner, Fantasy Flight Games does (via a license from WotC).

2) Tournamnet rules exist: http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/android-netrun...

3) FFG announced at their World Championship that they are hoping to institute player rankings and are currently working on the system to do so.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Streicher
msg tools
mbmb
Oh i am totally aware of 1 but still thanks. Mtg is just the only system i knew which has so much support.

Thank you for the Links
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Streicher
msg tools
mbmb
In mtg they were just necessary. Some editions just were so silly because of some competitive problems. I do bot know hoe long you played it but 12post was for example something which totally dominated the meta game until the ban.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El-ad David Amir
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
There have been encouraging remarks from FFG regarding an organized tournaments scene, including prize support and a global ranking system. Organized play was a huge asset to Magic: the Gathering and I think it could increase the longevity of FFG's brands significantly. High quality tournaments are the difference between a respectable player base and a sustainable player base, in my opinion. Personally, I would not stay with A:NR for more than a couple of years if there is no "professional" scene.

Regarding bans, restrictions, erratas: MtG had very little bans in their standard format (the format that uses the latest cards only). The issue is with the Modern format and the Eternal formats, that let you use all of the cards in the card pool. Since FFG is leaning toward the second approach (where all sets are perpetually available), I think we will have bans in the future. Balancing and testing a continuously expanding card pool is an impossible task, especially when the time frames are so short (twenty new cards every month or so). The FFG developers are bound to mess up and release overpowered cards that will greatly upset the metagame until banned. However, that is a good thing: if all cards are "tame" it means the developers are not taking risks with their design, which is even worse than banning a card every few sets.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silent Requiem
msg tools
Avatar
Agreed. I love Netrunner, but the only way it will supplant MtG as my game of choice is if they give me a proper venue for competition. And I don't mean "Worlds" with 50 people somewhere in the US.

Global rankings are a start, but proper judging is another important step. In my last tournament, we had a guy exceed his memory limit and score an agenda. Nobody noticed for a couple of turns. Nothing in the tournament rules deals with that situation, so we had to make something up. If all tournament results are to be given equal weight, however, we need to ensure the the rules governing them are consistent.

Equally, in "Worlds", the winner installed ICE as an agenda! I get that he was tired and it was a mistake, but you CANNOT build a truly competitive system where the only response to that play is "oops". Enough people will cheat to drive away the people who won't.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Avers
United States
Elmore
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Wouldn't be surprised if we eventually see a Restricted system like some of the other LCG's use. There's already a placeholder space on the official deck list sheets for them...

(For those unfamiliar, it's a keyword that gets errata'd/eventually printed onto cards. You have to pick *one* card with the keyword, and it allows you to run a playset of it in your deck. You can't run any copies of any *other* restricted card.)

Although I think Influence will be a decent way for now of limiting shenanigans. Heck, they could always make Restricted cards *always* cost influence to run in your deck regardless of faction.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El-ad David Amir
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
PMAvers wrote:
Although I think Influence will be a decent way for now of limiting shenanigans. Heck, they could always make Restricted cards *always* cost influence to run in your deck regardless of faction.

The system is there, I guess, Neutral cards have the faction dots, they're just always empty. A minor tweak to the rules (you need to pay Influence for Neutral cards that cost Influence) and we're set. I actually like that idea, a very flavorful card that does not fit any of the factions.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Hamm
United States
Huxley
Iowa
flag msg tools
See this text? It's a gratuitous waste of GeekGold.
badge
The game itself isn't important. Spending time intellectually jousting with likeminded folks is the real reason to game.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
IirionClaus wrote:
Regarding bans, restrictions, erratas: MtG had very little bans in their standard format (the format that uses the latest cards only). The issue is with the Modern format and the Eternal formats, that let you use all of the cards in the card pool. Since FFG is leaning toward the second approach (where all sets are perpetually available), I think we will have bans in the future. Balancing and testing a continuously expanding card pool is an impossible task, especially when the time frames are so short (twenty new cards every month or so). The FFG developers are bound to mess up and release overpowered cards that will greatly upset the metagame until banned. However, that is a good thing: if all cards are "tame" it means the developers are not taking risks with their design, which is even worse than banning a card every few sets.


I would expect that they would treat the pack cycles as "blocks" where they test 120 cards every six months, which is a far slower rate than Magic: the Habit.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mychal
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
IirionClaus wrote:
The system is there, I guess, Neutral cards have the faction dots, they're just always empty. A minor tweak to the rules (you need to pay Influence for Neutral cards that cost Influence) and we're set. I actually like that idea, a very flavorful card that does not fit any of the factions.

I don't think there needs to be a tweak. I assumed that rule was already in place. Neutral cards aren't in a faction, and are therefore out of faction, so they would cost influence (Though they currently all cost 0). Why else would the influence bars even exist on neutral cards?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El-ad David Amir
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Skylar114 wrote:
IirionClaus wrote:
The system is there, I guess, Neutral cards have the faction dots, they're just always empty. A minor tweak to the rules (you need to pay Influence for Neutral cards that cost Influence) and we're set. I actually like that idea, a very flavorful card that does not fit any of the factions.

I don't think there needs to be a tweak. I assumed that rule was already in place. Neutral cards aren't in a faction, and are therefore out of faction, so they would cost influence (Though they currently all cost 0). Why else would the influence bars even exist on neutral cards?

I thought that the rules say that Neutral cards cost zero influence; the exact wording is:

Neutral cards are not part of any faction, can be used in any deck of the side they are affiliated with, and generally have an influence value of zero.
So you're absolutely right, no changes are needed. Can't wait for Neutral cards that cost Influence And for Sunset, of course, which is going to be an awesome Operation.

(If the Runner triggered an Ambush the previous turn and has zero or one cards in hand, the Runner is flatlined).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Streicher
msg tools
mbmb
Isnt a runner with 0 cards always flatlined?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noah D

Arlington
Virginia
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
NoxMortem wrote:
Isnt a runner with 0 cards always flatlined?


Nope. A runner with zero cards who then takes damage is flatlined. You aren't flatlined till you are forced to discard and can not.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malefact
United Kingdom
Oxford
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
IirionClaus wrote:
And for Sunset, of course, which is going to be an awesome Operation.

(If the Runner triggered an Ambush the previous turn and has zero or one cards in hand, the Runner is flatlined).


I haven't seen Sunset spoiled anywhere yet...have I missed an announcement, or do you know something we don't?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El-ad David Amir
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
FileAccess wrote:
IirionClaus works for MI-6 (his New York location is just a cover story) and hacked the FFG databases so he can get an advantage with the expansions come out.

Exactly! Plus, I make these silly predictions all the time. If I guess enough cards, eventually I will be right. Then, I just need to go back, edit the ones I missed, and I could claim psychic powers!

(My three guesses so far: Sunset's ability, Trace Amount will have Fetal AI, and What Lies Ahead will have a Neutral Agenda that costs 3 or 4, gives two Points and "+2 Hand Size").
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
General Norris
Spain
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
FileAccess wrote:
I hope that there aren't card bans, restricted cards, etc. I found that to be incredibly frustrating in MtG.

No more frustrating that having a broken game, which would defeat the point of having tournaments in the first place.

I also can't imagine any of the bans being frustrated, if you were playing any of the banned cards, you knew perfectly why they were going to take the axe. It's not like anyone liked to play against Tolarian Academy and Tinker.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noah D

Arlington
Virginia
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
No-one hopes to see cards banned (FFG's method seems to be "Restricted" to break up combos, but no remove a card out-right)

However, I think one of the biggest downsides to banning cards in a CCG like MtG is not present in the LCG model. Cards that get banned are going to be very powerful cards that in the time leading up to the ban are likely very expensive on the singles market (for rares anyhow). So it could be very legitimately frustrating if someone bought a specific card at jacked up prices only to have it declared unusable.

In Android Netrunner, even if a card were banned, everyone got that card for the same price and along with all the other cards in its data pack. If a card is released that seriously breaks the game, it's worth it to have that problem addressed.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.