Popular Tags: [View All]
Green Dan
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So imagine you are trying to play a game, which may well go over 2 or more sessions, something like War of the Ring. Now imagine you don't really have room in your house for a dedicated gaming room. Now imagine you have a toddler who is just tall enough to reach a table and smoosh things about on it.

Now stop imagining and tell me how you would keep you game safe.

Edit: also you need to protect it from a cat.

and sometimes your Wife
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
Greendan wrote:
Now stop imagining and tell me how you would keep you game safe.

Edit: also you need to protect it from a cat.

Place a few blank job applications on the table. Cats are notoriously lazy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My problem was mother and cats.

I went to an appliance store and got a large, extremely heavy, cardboard shipping box that was about the same size as the table. Then I carefully cut it so that it was only slightly taller than the tallest miniatures I owned. It would have been better if I had left a way to weight the thing, as the cat liked to jump onto the box at high speed, and on occasion the miniatures were a bit shifted. But it worked out well enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Life is a lamp-flame before a wind.
msg tools
badge
mu
mbmbmbmbmb
I've tried quite a few different methods and they all have pros and cons, but I'd say the best one so far is electrified barbed wire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Etkin
United States
Gloversville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
biddi biddi biddi
mbmbmbmbmb

I built a coffee table with about a 6 inch deep compartment inside it. Essentially, the table is a normal table with doors on the top, which you open to reveal...well... whatever you want to put inside.

At the moment, I'm using it for my toddler's train set, but I see it having some good game application later (solo Magic Realm, for instance...). The table allows you to have an ongoing mess which is easily protected and shut away from the rest of the world (while also providing a decent looking table to boot).

The thing cost me around $100 to make, but I went a little nuts trying to make it look "wife-nice." I'll try to posts some pics later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Greendan wrote:
Now imagine you don't really have room in your house for a dedicated gaming room.

Do you have a closet which you can dedicate to restraining the cat & toddler? Otherwise, I suggest playing on a computer...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Kalk
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
A locked door is the only real solution to this problem, although the various fence or box solutions have some potential. Depending on the game, it might also be feasible to simply write down the game state and re-create it next time. A custom-designed spreadsheet can make that a quick and painless process. YMMV depending on the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sara VanderWal
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Our cat likes to meddle and steal pieces sometimes as well.

I wouldn't go to the extreme of building a specifically designed table, even though that would be awesome, and building a cardboard cover or fence adds to the number of things that need storage when we're already short on space.

I'd simply suggest trying to minimize the number of things that can be messed up (tuck cards under the game board, write down how much money you have and put it back in the box, etc) and making sure you can account for anything that was disturbed between sessions (take a photo of the board and player areas, etc.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meganekko Matsura
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is no solution to protecting boardgames from cats.

They are smarter than you are, lowly human. laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just do what I did, Build one of these:

Keep the looong games on the inside.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Etkin
United States
Gloversville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
biddi biddi biddi
mbmbmbmbmb

Ok... sorry this took so long. My wife had the camera.

Exterior dimensions are 48" long x 32" wide. When closed, the top is 18" from the floor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
mbmbmbmbmb
You could try one of those jigsaw mats.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Brulet
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Although it's tedious, we use our handy camera phones to take a picture of the board and then just reset it next time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

The Frankentable

So far, over 7 years without a head injury.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Martyn
United States
Guilford
VT
flag msg tools
EXCELSIOR!!!
badge
ZOMGALOMES!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Look into a map cabinet. Some of them make attractive pieces of furniture (ours has a TV on top, with Wii games and remotes in the top drawer). And then you also get the ability to secure multiple ongoing games at the same time. Mine currently has one solitaire game, one Play-By-Forum game, and a few that I've left in their starting setups so they can be pulled out and good to go at a moment's notice.

Get one where the drawers slide out completely and you can (carefully) move it to anywhere in the house, as long as your doorframes are wide enough....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.