Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
179 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [8] | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: This I find offensive. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Billy the Hut
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Sit beside the breakfast table Think about your troubles Pour yourself a cup of tea Then think about the bubbles
Avatar
mbmbmb
Ancient petroglyphs ripped from stone at California rock art site

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/sns-rt-us-usa-petroglyphs...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It's worse then Hitler. Yes this is a little bit bad, but offensive?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric "Shippy McShipperson" Mowrer
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Ami. Geek.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
One starts to reconsider the benefits of public caning.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ejmowrer wrote:
One starts to reconsider the benefits of public caning.
Yes, for those who think this is a good way to spend money when people are losing their homes and jobs.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric "Shippy McShipperson" Mowrer
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Ami. Geek.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
ejmowrer wrote:
One starts to reconsider the benefits of public caning.
Yes, for those who think this is a good way to spend money when people are losing their homes and jobs.


Huh?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ejmowrer wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
ejmowrer wrote:
One starts to reconsider the benefits of public caning.
Yes, for those who think this is a good way to spend money when people are losing their homes and jobs.


Huh? :what:


You did read that they will spend money to secure what remains, this I find disgusting while there are people who live in poverty.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott A. Reed
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
slatersteven wrote:
ejmowrer wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
ejmowrer wrote:
One starts to reconsider the benefits of public caning.
Yes, for those who think this is a good way to spend money when people are losing their homes and jobs.


Huh?


You did read that they will spend money to secure what remains, this I find disgusting while there are people who live in poverty.


Total non-starter of an argument. "Why are they spending money on X, when we still have Y problem!" "Why are the police cracking down on speeding when we have all these drug crimes going on?" "Why are we focusing on drug crimes when we still have rapes?" "Why are we spending time on rapes when there are murders going on?"

Why are we spending our time socially interacting on a website forum while there is still cancer, world hunger, gross income disparities, violence in the middle east, violence in the inner cities, soccer hooliganism, child abuse, spousal abuse, crippling national debts, toxic environmental zones, blood diamonds, animal fighting for sport, child sex exploitation, elderly abuse, ......
48 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy the Hut
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Sit beside the breakfast table Think about your troubles Pour yourself a cup of tea Then think about the bubbles
Avatar
mbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
Yes, for those who think this is a good way to spend money when people are losing their homes and jobs.


I think you miss my point. My apologies for not being more clear, I can't say I've ever been the best with words.

Anyhow, yes this does disturb me. I was reacting to the terrible pointless vandalism that I'd just read about, and it is disturbing. I do not think it's the greatest moral crime, or "worse than Hitler" and I never said or implied that. I don't think it's unreasonable to care about more than one issue.

In terms of the seriousness of homeless; I'm married to a social worker who's job is to find homes for the homeless. She works hard to make a positive difference for people. I'm proud of her, care about the issue, and am well aware of it's complexities.

In terms of people who are out of work. I think investing money to hire people to protect these historical petroglyphs is positive. It's money well spent on a good kind of job to create. Work that not only is important but as you point out work is something people need.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Billythehut wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
Yes, for those who think this is a good way to spend money when people are losing their homes and jobs.


I think you miss my point. My apologies for not being more clear, I can't say I've ever been the best with words.

Anyhow, yes this does disturb me. I was reacting to the terrible pointless vandalism that I'd just read about, and it is disturbing. I do not think it's the greatest moral crime, or "worse than Hitler" and I never said or implied that. I don't think it's unreasonable to care about more than one issue.

In terms of the seriousness of homeless; I'm married to a social worker who's job is to find homes for the homeless. She works hard to make a positive difference for people. I'm proud of her, care about the issue, and am well aware of it's complexities.

In terms of people who are out of work. I think investing money to hire people to protect these historical petroglyphs is positive. It's money well spent on a good kind of job to create. Work that not only is important but as you point out work is something people need.
It was terrible vandalism (but I doubt pointless, some one know has thee in his collection). I just don't see this as offensive, just stupid and criminal.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hinchliffe
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
It's worse then Hitler. Yes this is a little bit bad, but offensive?


Absolutely. If someone came into your home and stole artwork off of your walls would you be offended? I think so.

These cocksuckers stole a piece of art off the shared wall of human history. It can't ever be made whole again.

4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
clockwerk76 wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
It's worse then Hitler. Yes this is a little bit bad, but offensive?


Absolutely. If someone came into your home and stole artwork off of your walls would you be offended? I think so.

These cocksuckers stole a piece of art off the shared wall of human history. It can't ever be made whole again.

Sorry if it's shared they have a right to take it, it's theirs.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antigonus Monophthalmus
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
clockwerk76 wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
It's worse then Hitler. Yes this is a little bit bad, but offensive?


Absolutely. If someone came into your home and stole artwork off of your walls would you be offended? I think so.

These cocksuckers stole a piece of art off the shared wall of human history. It can't ever be made whole again.

Sorry if it's shared they have a right to take it, it's theirs.


There's a graphic for this, but I'm too lazy to find it. Use your imagination.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
BagpipeDan wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
clockwerk76 wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
It's worse then Hitler. Yes this is a little bit bad, but offensive?


Absolutely. If someone came into your home and stole artwork off of your walls would you be offended? I think so.

These cocksuckers stole a piece of art off the shared wall of human history. It can't ever be made whole again.

Sorry if it's shared they have a right to take it, it's theirs.


There's a graphic for this, but I'm too lazy to find it. Use your imagination.
I was, I was imaging what I would feel if I took something that belonged to me and sold it. I was running with the analogy, it is not the same as someone coming into my house and taking something I have worked for.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
Quote:
These cocksuckers stole a piece of art off the shared wall of human history. It can't ever be made whole again.


You called it "shared" human history. Why aren't you sharing?

"From each according to his ability, to each according to his need." These thieves obviously needed it. Who are you to say they didn't? Some filthy one-percenter, I bet.

#OccupyYosemite!
More likely it was stolen for one of the 1%'ers.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hinchliffe
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
clockwerk76 wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
It's worse then Hitler. Yes this is a little bit bad, but offensive?


Absolutely. If someone came into your home and stole artwork off of your walls would you be offended? I think so.

These cocksuckers stole a piece of art off the shared wall of human history. It can't ever be made whole again.

Sorry if it's shared they have a right to take it, it's theirs.


Its the wall that's shared...not the shit on it. Do I have to explain every metaphor?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
clockwerk76 wrote:
Its the wall that's shared...not the shit on it. Do I have to explain every metaphor?

To slater? Absolutely.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
Yes, those greedy monopoly men hire thugs to steal priceless historical artifacts to display in their vaults filled with gold bars.

Yeah, that's pretty much how it works. Any time expensive, unique art is stolen the thieves already have a buyer in mind. It's not like stealing a Playstation, where you can go pawn it. When you steal a Picasso or a Monet everyone involved with art knows it's stolen and you would never be able to sell it.

Generally the works are sold into an underground market of a small number of super wealthy collectors. I'm not sure why you would find that notion so surprising.
7 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hinchliffe
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
clockwerk76 wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
clockwerk76 wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
It's worse then Hitler. Yes this is a little bit bad, but offensive?


Absolutely. If someone came into your home and stole artwork off of your walls would you be offended? I think so.

These cocksuckers stole a piece of art off the shared wall of human history. It can't ever be made whole again.

Sorry if it's shared they have a right to take it, it's theirs.


Its the wall that's shared...not the shit on it. Do I have to explain every metaphor?


No, you have to stop supporting collectivism and then acting all surprised when your pals behave like collectivists.


And you need to learn some comprehension if you're going to engage me. First, I hardly support collectivism. Second, my point is in no way collectivist. If you can't see how, I'll pay for some remedial reading classes for you.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
clockwerk76 wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
clockwerk76 wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
It's worse then Hitler. Yes this is a little bit bad, but offensive?


Absolutely. If someone came into your home and stole artwork off of your walls would you be offended? I think so.

These cocksuckers stole a piece of art off the shared wall of human history. It can't ever be made whole again.

Sorry if it's shared they have a right to take it, it's theirs.


Its the wall that's shared...not the shit on it. Do I have to explain every metaphor?
Your metaphor said pictures, not wall. Yes you have to explain a metaphor when it's nonsensical.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:
Quote:
These cocksuckers stole a piece of art off the shared wall of human history. It can't ever be made whole again.


You called it "shared" human history. Why aren't you sharing?

"From each according to his ability, to each according to his need." These thieves obviously needed it. Who are you to say they didn't? Some filthy one-percenter, I bet.

#OccupyYosemite!
More likely it was stolen for one of the 1%'ers.


Yes, those greedy monopoly men hire thugs to steal priceless historical artifacts to display in their vaults filled with gold bars.

Idiot.
Actually they do.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
clockwerk76 wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:
clockwerk76 wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
clockwerk76 wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
It's worse then Hitler. Yes this is a little bit bad, but offensive?


Absolutely. If someone came into your home and stole artwork off of your walls would you be offended? I think so.

These cocksuckers stole a piece of art off the shared wall of human history. It can't ever be made whole again.

Sorry if it's shared they have a right to take it, it's theirs.


Its the wall that's shared...not the shit on it. Do I have to explain every metaphor?


No, you have to stop supporting collectivism and then acting all surprised when your pals behave like collectivists.


And you need to learn some comprehension if you're going to engage me. First, I hardly support collectivism. Second, my point is in no way collectivist. If you can't see how, I'll pay for some remedial reading classes for you.
The maybe you should learn how to communicate in a clear way. Stealing a picture from a home is not the same as stealing a communalialy held bit of cave.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hinchliffe
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
clockwerk76 wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
clockwerk76 wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
It's worse then Hitler. Yes this is a little bit bad, but offensive?


Absolutely. If someone came into your home and stole artwork off of your walls would you be offended? I think so.

These cocksuckers stole a piece of art off the shared wall of human history. It can't ever be made whole again.

Sorry if it's shared they have a right to take it, it's theirs.


Its the wall that's shared...not the shit on it. Do I have to explain every metaphor?
Your metaphor said pictures, not wall. Yes you have to explain a metaphor when it's nonsensical.


Are you really that poor at reading?

Let's review:

Quote:
These cocksuckers stole a piece of art off the shared wall of human history. It can't ever be made whole again.


Now tell me again where I didn't say wall.

In other words, metaphorically, this art belonged to certain people at a certain time that rest of us have no experience in. However, it is a part of human history, that collectively represents the evolution of our species hence the image of a "SHARED WALL" upon which hangs these artifacts and examples of various cultures throughout time.

Now with that said, this could be the stupidest conversation I have engaged in on this board yet, arguing about the nuance of a fairly obvious metaphor and whether or not said metaphor in fact absolves the thieves of culpability.

Holy fuck. Pedants unite.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
clockwerk76 wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
clockwerk76 wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
clockwerk76 wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
It's worse then Hitler. Yes this is a little bit bad, but offensive?


Absolutely. If someone came into your home and stole artwork off of your walls would you be offended? I think so.

These cocksuckers stole a piece of art off the shared wall of human history. It can't ever be made whole again.

Sorry if it's shared they have a right to take it, it's theirs.


Its the wall that's shared...not the shit on it. Do I have to explain every metaphor?
Your metaphor said pictures, not wall. Yes you have to explain a metaphor when it's nonsensical.


Are you really that poor at reading?

Let's review:

Quote:
These cocksuckers stole a piece of art off the shared wall of human history. It can't ever be made whole again.


Now tell me again where I didn't say wall.
You say quite clearly the stealing artwork off the walls, not stealing the wall. If your going to change your argument when its pointed out it's total bollocks fine, but please don't try and blame my lack of reading comprehension for your lack of consistency.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hinchliffe
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
clockwerk76 wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
clockwerk76 wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
clockwerk76 wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
It's worse then Hitler. Yes this is a little bit bad, but offensive?


Absolutely. If someone came into your home and stole artwork off of your walls would you be offended? I think so.

These cocksuckers stole a piece of art off the shared wall of human history. It can't ever be made whole again.

Sorry if it's shared they have a right to take it, it's theirs.


Its the wall that's shared...not the shit on it. Do I have to explain every metaphor?
Your metaphor said pictures, not wall. Yes you have to explain a metaphor when it's nonsensical.


Are you really that poor at reading?

Let's review:

Quote:
These cocksuckers stole a piece of art off the shared wall of human history. It can't ever be made whole again.


Now tell me again where I didn't say wall.
You say quite clearly the stealing artwork off the walls, not stealing the wall. If your going to change your argument when its pointed out it's total bollocks fine, but please don't try and blame my lack of reading comprehension for your lack of consistency.


Holy fuck holy fuck holy fuck.

The counter argument was that if the artwork is shared, then its not theft as they have a right to it (and the need to make this asinine argument still escapes me but whatever) and my point was that I never said the artwork was shared, but that the wall was shared by all to display their contributions to our development as a species for VIEWING BY ALL as one would expect from a SHARED WALL.

Do you understand exactly how stupid and pointless this argument is? Truly this is the pinnacle of arguing for arguments sake. There is less than nothing constructive coming from this. Frankly, considering your well documented inability to spell or use grammar correctly, I would take a moment and reconsider your position before dragging any deeper down this rabbit hole of ultra pseudo intellectual pedantry.

Its fucking embarrassing.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
clockwerk76 wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
clockwerk76 wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
clockwerk76 wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
clockwerk76 wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
It's worse then Hitler. Yes this is a little bit bad, but offensive?


Absolutely. If someone came into your home and stole artwork off of your walls would you be offended? I think so.

These cocksuckers stole a piece of art off the shared wall of human history. It can't ever be made whole again.

Sorry if it's shared they have a right to take it, it's theirs.


Its the wall that's shared...not the shit on it. Do I have to explain every metaphor?
Your metaphor said pictures, not wall. Yes you have to explain a metaphor when it's nonsensical.


Are you really that poor at reading?

Let's review:

Quote:
These cocksuckers stole a piece of art off the shared wall of human history. It can't ever be made whole again.


Now tell me again where I didn't say wall.
You say quite clearly the stealing artwork off the walls, not stealing the wall. If your going to change your argument when its pointed out it's total bollocks fine, but please don't try and blame my lack of reading comprehension for your lack of consistency.


Holy fuck holy fuck holy fuck.

The counter argument was that if the artwork is shared, then its not theft as they have a right to it (and the need to make this asinine argument still escapes me but whatever) and my point was that I never said the artwork was shared, but that the wall was shared by all to display their contributions to our development as a species for VIEWING BY ALL as one would expect from a SHARED WALL.

Do you understand exactly how stupid and pointless this argument is? Truly this is the pinnacle of arguing for arguments sake. There is less than nothing constructive coming from this. Frankly, considering your well documented inability to spell or use grammar correctly, I would take a moment and reconsider your position before dragging any deeper down this rabbit hole of ultra pseudo intellectual pedantry.

Its fucking embarrassing.
Yes, I think it is a stupid and pointless argument. Humanity (and you) will continue without these carvings. These have not been stolen from humanity, humanity (I doubt) really knew they existed beyond a few pseudo intellectuals who probably never even visited them (and most of whom probably never knew they existed until now). For thing to be offensive you have to know abut it, your theft analogy was flawed because most people don't even know of this theft (and probably care even less).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [8] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.